Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection Sticky (Tons of Lexus facts here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Default The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection Sticky (Tons of Lexus facts here)

I have decided to create this sticky for a few reasons.
1. To educate Clublexus members on they're products.
2. With this education, Clublexus members can take extreme pride in how their cars were built and the dedication and incredible engineering behind them.
3. To give FACTS to people, as speculation and rumors and baseless posts are at an all time high.
4. To try to eliminate reposts.

So one by one, we will post here any facts about Lexus or the cars you have. I ask that unless you can provide a source, do not post your information. Please post your source, link, magazine, executive with name etc.

Here is the first, I just found

Well, many of us here thought the 1st gen IS was a shortned GS platform, like the next generation. I was searching and found a speech by the old Lexus VP Bryan Bergsteinisson where he states the IS is platform specific!
Now we can finally lay to rest any rumors about the IS. It also won Japanese car of the Year as the Altezza. The IS is the safest car in its class and is built like a bank vault, rattle free. Now we know why
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...id=sp19990408b

The IS is a front engine, rear-wheel drive sports sedan on a platform unique to this model. The car is lightweight and stable. Lexus engineers designed the sedan with the best possible weight distribution, placing heavier components such as the battery and fuel tank toward the center, and moving the engine back behind the front axle line. Double wishbone suspension on all four corners allows for precise handling and a comfortable ride.

Extensive testing was conducted on the roads of Japan and Europe, including the Nurburgring circuit in Germany. Responsiveness was a primary goal for the chief engineer and his team. The result is a package that delivers outstanding performance and razor-sharp handling that will fill a niche Lexus has not addressed before.

You can compare the IS to the GS in terms of sportiness and performance, just as you would compare the ES to the LS in terms of luxury and comfort.

The IS will be positioned below the GS and will compete against vehicles such as the BMW 3-series and the Audi A4. The target audience is younger educated professionals who are also enthusiasts seeking a car that makes them feel connected to the road.

Old 04-02-05, 06:41 PM
LexFather

The LS 430 was developed in the SAME wind tunnel as the Japanese 200mph "Bullet Train".
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...id=sp20000118b

While the original LS 400 established a new level for quietness, the next generation LS re-invents the term. In a cooperative effort with Japan's Railway company, Lexus borrowed the same wind tunnel used to test the Shinkansen, or Bullet Train. This special large-scale, low-noise wind tunnel enabled Lexus to concentrate on reducing high-frequency wind noise. By making the undercarriage of the car completely flat and fine-tuning the exterior lines, Lexus was able to reduce the LS 430's coefficient of drag to 0.25. This gives the LS 430 the lowest coefficient of drag of any sedan in the world.

Old 04-02-05, 06:49 PM
LexFather

"The Secret of Lexus"
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...?id=sp20001009

By 1991, Lexus finished the year as the top-selling import luxury brand.

The Lexus Baby
But perhaps the best example of the Lexus Touch I've heard so far happened recently at Park Place Lexus outside of Dallas. While on the way to the hospital to deliver their third child, Mark and Lisa McDevitt realized they weren't going to make it and pulled their Lexus into the dealership.

Assisted by dealership personnel and a 9-one-one operator, Mark successfully delivered his baby girl and soon an ambulance arrived to take mother and child to the hospital. As you can imagine, the vehicle was quite a mess.

So the dealer Jordan Case loaned the couple a new Lexus and kept their car to have it steam-cleaned. A few days later, the proud mother and father returned with their new baby to pick up their vehicle and thank the people who had supported the birth.

Oh, and the name of the baby? Isabella Alexus McDevitt. As the couple told the news media, "after everything they did for us at Park Place, we just had to…"

I'm not sure how to top that, but I guarantee you that somewhere out there… there's a Lexus dealer who will create an even more amazing customer story… so stay tuned..

Old 04-02-05, 06:50 PM
LexFather

the Lexus Covenant
* Lexus will do it right from the start.
* Lexus will have the finest dealer network in the industry.
* And, Lexus will treat each customer as we would a guest in our own home.

You can view this at any dealership for proof, they have to hang it on a wall

Old 04-02-05, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Lexus IS 300 Manual 1st year expectations 4,800 units
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...?id=sp20010109

In 2000, Lexus sold 206,037 vehicles, topping Mercedes-Benz by a mere 423 units (for the #1 spot)

Old 04-02-05, 06:57 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn SICK, you have not had your GS for over a year now man and you still make some of the most passionate and informative posts on the entire forum. News, little known facts, or just appreciation threads. It may be a slight off topic, but to you for your efforts bro, they really contribute to the "enthusiast" portion of this forum (IMO)

I'm sure your plate is full test driving 06 430's and all, so I'm interested to see what your next move will be!
Old 04-02-05, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Lexus Strategy, Everyone Must Win!
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...?id=sp20011108

We believe you need a unique strategy.

At Lexus, we have just that. Our strategy is... "Everybody Must Win."

And everybody MEANS EVERYBODY...suppliers...business partners...dealers and associates.

Now why would I share our strategy for success with YOU, our competitors?

Because if we all adopt the philosophy that "Everybody Must Win," our industry, and everyone in it, will benefit.

I know...it sounds counterintuitive to the competitive nature of our business. Our industry has traditionally been one of winners and losers. Manufacturers built cars and shipped them to dealers. Dealers, in turn, pushed the metal on to customers. And, as we know, these transactions sometimes produce one winner and one loser.

But that cycle should, and can, change.

This formula for success is created simply by making sure the manufacturer, all the business partners, all the customers and all the associates WIN.

At Lexus, this culture was literally etched in stone before we sold our first car.

In the atrium of our headquarters lobby we have a granite block inscribed with The Lexus Covenant.

Every associate has his or her signature etched into that same stone.

The Covenant reads, in part, "Lexus will do it RIGHT from the start and Lexus will treat each customer as we would a guest in our home."

At Lexus, by committing to the success of others, we create ADVOCATES not ADVERSARIES.

Old 04-02-05, 07:01 PM
LexFather

GX 470 headlight cluster inspired by LS 430.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...20106_clements

GX sales target
The GX will go on sale in January 2003 and our annual sales target will exceed 20,000.

Old 04-02-05, 07:04 PM
LexFather

Being #1 in sales not our goal
know we say this every year, but it's true, being number one is not our goal… our goal is making exceptional cars and creating outstanding customer satisfaction…

Now…that being said… I'm not going to give our sales crown back.
This is side commentary but comments that really sound silly and ignorant is "Lexus only sells SUVs". Well Lexus FIGURED OUT where the market was going. SUV/Truck sales account for more than 1/2 of all new car sales. Lexus had the courage to jump in the segment with the LX 450, then LX 470 and the 1st car based SUV, the RX 300, which is now the 330 and the standard for the segment. Lexus has the GX now and clearly, people want these vehicles. And NO ONE can say its just Lexus, most every luxury car maker has at least one SUV, some wth 2 and Lincoln and Caddy having luxury pick-up trucks. It also means Lexus is poised to capitalize on the growth areas of the luxury market.

For example, in 1997, sales of luxury SUVs were 90,000.

Last year, that number increased to 330,000 and we see it increasing nearly 75 percent to 580,000 by 2005.

While most of our competitors offer just one model in this category, Lexus is the only full-line luxury make to offer three luxury utility vehicles…the premium LX 470, which received significant enhancements this year…the all-new GX 470… and the world’s best selling luxury SUV…the RX.

If you look at the demographics for each of these models, it's easy to see why having three luxury utility vehicles makes a world of sense.

We offer RX in the 30-thousand dollar range, GX starts under 45-thousand and LX is priced in the low 60s.

And our customers have been responding extremely well to all of these great vehicles.

7,000 GX 470s were pre-soldFor example, GX went on sale a month ago and we’re working our way through a pre-sold order bank of about 7,000.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-02-05 at 07:09 PM.

Old 04-02-05, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Damn SICK, you have not had your GS for over a year now man and you still make some of the most passionate and informative posts on the entire forum. News, little known facts, or just appreciation threads. It may be a slight off topic, but to you for your efforts bro, they really contribute to the "enthusiast" portion of this forum (IMO)

I'm sure your plate is full test driving 06 430's and all, so I'm interested to see what your next move will be!
Aww mahn thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

Old 04-02-05, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Lexus Design Speech
01/07/2004

Lexus Design Speech
January 7, 2004
Simon Humphries
Group Manager, Global Design Management Division
Toyota Motor Corporation

Hello, my name is Simon Humphries, it is a pleasure to be here today representing Toyota Motor Corporation. I am presently Group Manager for design strategy in relation to brand issues for Lexus and Toyota design.

As you can see I am not Japanese, I was born in England but I have actually spent the last 14 years working as a designer in Japan, about a third of my life.

I mention this as a lot of the things I want to say today are about Japan, so at least you can believe a third of what I say!

I heard that the unofficial theme today is "Design in Luxury," so obviously I have chosen Lexus, and I have tried to gear what I have to say to give you some idea of how we trying to use the power of design to provide Lexus with a unique platform for the future.

Lexus is changing. I hope you have noticed, because if you have not, a lot of our hard work has gone to waste! This change started with the release of the HPX showcar at the New York autoshow in 2003, and was followed with the release of the LFS at the 03 Tokyo show. This week has seen the release of the GS-430 preview here in Detroit. These vehicles all represent important steps for Lexus, and today I would like to take a little time to explain why such changes are taking place.

As you are all aware, Lexus is a young brand. It is almost 15 years to the day that Lexus was released and we started our so called "passionate pursuit of perfection." But the fact of the matter is that we are reaching a juncture where we have to decide exactly what perfection, and really how relevant, the perfection that we are pursuing is. Ultimately there is a limit to how quiet we can make an engine!

The second trigger to this change is the imminent introduction of Lexus into the domestic Japanese market. Here we will have a situation where unlike many other makers who have "bought in" established brands, we have two brands born from the same parent, with a degree of price overlap greater than in other markets.

It has become essential for us to re-clarify exactly what is different between the two brands at both tangible and intangible levels.

So, where should Lexus be heading? Over the last couple of years throughout numerous discussions two words have continuously come up regarding Lexus' past and future. "Leading-edge", and "finesse."

When Lexus was launched the brand was perceived as advanced, forward looking, a new take on luxury, but it also possessed finesse, a certain understatement. Many would say that this understatement is Lexus' weakness, and if left unmanaged it may become so. But on the other hand many see this as a positive attribute, "good taste", or "being in the know." These two factors form the core of Lexus, but at the present time they have become disparate.

The challenge our designers face is not to treat these two terms separately, but rather to work to bring them together without losing the purity of each. For example how to be technologically advanced yet humanized, how to create bold and striking modern design but still be artistic and unpretentious.

The name we gave to this process is "L-finesse" - (the "L" of Leading-edge and finesse), and it forms the core of Lexus' design activities.

To achieve this goal we went back to the beginning. What exactly is the essence of Lexus' luxury?

To explain these I would like to use a simple analogy.

I am the customer, I have just got of the plane, I ask my personal assistant for something to drink. He goes away and comes back with water, beer, milk, orange juice etc., everything I could possibly want, this has to be luxury. But what it says about him, the brand, is that he really no real belief in what luxury is and certainly does not know what mine is.

The flip side is that my assistant comes back with a bottle of champagne. This has to be luxury, the most expensive drink money can buy. What does it say about the brand user relationship, it says that the brand is absolutely sure what its' view of luxury is regardless of what I think.

As you may imagine neither of these scenarios fits Lexus, but there is an alternative.

The third scenario is, just as I am THINKING about asking for something to drink, my assistant places a cup of black coffee, just as I wanted it, in front of me. What this says about the brand is that it is absolutely sure what MY luxury is, it has seamlessly anticipated my desires.

Seamless anticipation forms the basis for the way in which Lexus must portray it's hospitality, and way in which it must interact with the customer. This is essential because it forms the basis for the brand character and defines how the product is positioned in relation to the customer.

It is also important because it is what we call a "J-factor." "J" standing for Japan. Lexus as I mentioned earlier is a young brand and we have made a great effort in design to conform to the "manner" of the "luxury club." But if really want long term success, it is imperative that our future originality is based on something that has its roots in the culture of not only the company, but also the society from which we come. This is not about mimicking a the surface attributes of something Japanese, but rather to look carefully at the sometimes unique ways of thinking that led to them. The challenge is to utilize this in a way that is acceptable on a global level.

Japanese hospitality is based heavily on anticipation. If we take for example the tea ceremony, the tea is the product, but the real value comes from careful anticipation of the customers' feelings and expectations before he reaches the tea house, the mood set by the approach, response to them in the present, simplification of the utensils, and preparation for unforeseen eventualities in the future. The use of seamless anticipation in the tea ceremony enables the building of a complex, personal experience, worth far more than the "product" by itself. And it is this that is a hint to how we can integrate this way of thinking into the product.

Seamless anticipation allows us to personalize the experience, simplify the experience and create a unique experience for the customer.

What this means in real terms is that the car must react according to the situation. For example the use of an electro chromic filter on the meter in the GS allows anticipation of when glare removal is necessary, and reacts according to the situation. Or it may mean something as simple as pinpoint lighting. Pinpoint illumination of certain objects according to the situation of the user. The net result is that the user feels that the vehicle is responding to his/her wishes, in advance, of asking for them.

This way of thinking is not just relevant to us as a company, we also believe it is also relevant to the future affluent customer. The number of affluent people is increasing, and with this increase is coming diversity and change. Affluent users are looking less toward status symbols and more toward experiences and services. Luxury is becoming an internal matter, people want luxury that helps them savor their time, and we believe that "seamless anticipation", forming the basis for the product experience, goes along way to answering this.

Seamless anticipation will form the basis for Lexus' intuitive recognition.

Moving on to more tangible matters, we are in the process of establishing a design language for the Lexus brand.

We have two set phrases to describe and guide Lexus styling. "incisive simplicity" and "intriguing elegance." These relate directly to objectives to create products that are leading-edge, bold, striking but at the same time have an air of mystery and elegance.

Two very simple phrases, but in design terms a very difficult, as achieving such a taste will involve challenging the paradox that simplicity only leads to clinical, mathematical design, and conversely that intriguing design must be complex. The graph illustrates this paradox. In a word Lexus design is attempting to create "intriguing simplicity."

To achieve this we have had to accept a number of things that on the surface seem illogical. Firstly, that simplicity need not be simple.

Simplicity has become a prerequisite in design today, but the fact of the matter is that users are demanding more emotion. However, I see no signs that they wish to return to exaggerated or labored design. If we look to the Japanese aesthetic, we can see that simplicity need not necessarily mean minimal or reduction, but rather that simplicity is there to create contrast in the composition between itself and the focal point. If we accept this, there is a chance to bring together these two seemingly opposing factors into design.

One example of what this might look like is contained within the LFS. The crisp, dry, simple surface of the bonnet contrasts sharply with the intensity and curvaceous nature of the front fender. Seen from the side we can really see how different these two areas are.

The same way of thinking has been carried through to the GS with a very sculptural and emotional fender area, contrasting with the "dry" taste of the bonnet. The result is that we see a dynamic yet intriguing design born from the contrast in surface language, rather than relying solely on exaggeration to create dynamism.

Integration of a wide dynamic range of surface and architectural language into Lexus design is integral to achieving our goals.

This way of thinking applies equally to interior design. The center console area is kept extremely simple. Pure lines, and the use of thin, floating cushions instead of the predictable thick cushioning of "luxury", contrasts with the three dimensional nature of the door trim. Interestingly, the thinness of the padding is carried over to the door trim, but is wrapped into a very interesting form.

Contrast has also been incorporated into the details of the vehicle. The contrast between the larger inside radii compared to the pinpoint outside radius sharpens the overall image, but does not detract from the depth of the form.

We can even see contrast being used to accentuate the speed of the line or curve, as in the upper corner of the window graphic. It almost appears as if the window graphic has been drawn with a paint brush where the line thickness varies according to pressure.

All these examples work together to retain the overall simplicity but introduce an element of mystery or artistry into the design.

Secondly, we are actively looking for a new type of balance for Lexus.

In the GS, the clean arch of the cabin line works to keep the visual image simple, but it also complements the unique long cabin look of the GS. The GS' cabin is lengthened pushed well back over the rear wheels. This distinct proportion has been with us since the first generation GS and is quite different to the standard rear wheel drive, small cabin look.

It has come to the point where we have a proportion of 1 to 1 when comparing the front wheel to windscreen dimension and the rear wheel to trunk. (A standard rear wheel proportion would be about 2:1). This uniqueness has also allowed us to create a new interior feeling, one of roominess without losing the snugness so necessary for a driver's car.

Dropping the grille of the LFS in relation to the headlights continues a trend in Lexus toward a more personal dynamic feeling. The GS continues this, creating a new balance in the front of the vehicle, and going against the preconception that a luxury vehicle must have horizontal grille, headlight layout.

Creation of a balance that goes against what is accepted or what seems natural, is essential in creating something that can invigorate and fascinate, yet remain inherently simple.

The third and final point is the integration of time into design. This in many ways is the most important point for Lexus as it relates directly to the building of an experience through design.

The use of long integrated lines plays an important role in simplifying form, and at the same time requires the observer to spend a certain amount of time to "read" the shape. We want the shape to lead the viewer into changing his/her position in relation to the vehicle. In this way time becomes a necessity in order to understand the total form of the vehicle.

The integration of the time factor into the Lexus design language an essential part of fusing together simplicity and depth.

The wrap round surface from the side of the LFS all the way to the rear virtually eliminates the rear corner of the vehicles. It offers another example of how simplicity can become intriguing.

Even such insignificant items such as the opening of an ashtray or a cup-holder share a consistency of movement that is intended to hold the users attention, so that time becomes irrelevant. Speed is more than for the sake of efficiency.

Finally, as in the case of the original optitron, we can use time in design to create situations that turn the mundane tasks that we have to sit through everyday, into fascinating experiences.

The optitron of the original LS uses the contrast of the white needles seemingly floating in a black void, coupled with the delayed reaction over time to add an intriguing feeling to its form. Here we see almost everything that we are striving for in Lexus' future is actually present in its' past. Simplicity, an air of mystery, high technology which has been humanized, contrast, and the creation of a unique experience.

The role of the designer is changing, we believe design is becoming a 4 dimensional and at Lexus we feel ready to take on these challenges to create an entirely new type of luxury experience.

Thank you for your attention.

Old 04-02-05, 07:22 PM
LexFather

IS 300 avg age is 29. It should probably come as no surprise...that the current IS has the lowest age demographic of any vehicle in our line-up. In fact,...at a mere 29-years-old...
* it's by-far, the lowest age-demographic in the near-luxury segment...
* and is actually lower than any Toyota or Scion-brand model

Old 04-02-05, 07:27 PM
LexFather

JIM PRESS, Executive VP, Toyota Motor Sales says in March Automobile
Question

Is the 06 GS 430 leading Lexus in the new direction?

Answer
Phase one of LExus was to redefine the luxury car segment. We have maximized customer satisfaction and reninvented the whole dealership experience. We offered an unparalleled level of quality and comfort for a very resonable price. Now we can take Lexus to the next level. Basically, our philosophy is to "zero-nize" and "Maxim-mize" performance. We'll zero-nize all the negatives of the automobile-accidents, emissions, high fuel consumption. We'll "maxi-mize" performance, the thrill of driving and our traditional comfort and value.Our cars have always performed to a high degree, but the visceral, emotioanal feedback hasn't been apparent. Also, the styling hasn't had the emotional satisfaction our customers want. So, each sedan is going to get these emotional componants. First the GS, then the IS and the LS.

Question
Is there room for an ultra-luxury car from Lexus?

Answer
There 's a lot of discussion about it. Personally, I don't feel that the company's ego needs to be exercised by offering a car that just has a lot of content and cost without being the LEXUS of the category. To me, it's better to make a statement with PHILOSOPHY not just hardware. I'd rather see the ultimate hybrid automobile- the best of all worlds "zero-nize" and "maxi-mize".

Old 04-02-05, 07:31 PM
LexFather

Lexus Awards and Recognition (not model specifit, brand specific)

AWARDS AND RECOGNITION

* July 1990 - Lexus nameplate tops the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS) in its first-ever sales year.

* March 1991 - Lexus is ranked first in J.D. Power and Associates' Dealer Attitude Survey.

* August 1991 - Lexus tops the J.D. Power and Associates Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI), completing a sweep of the three major studies conducted by Power that included the IQS and Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI).

* July 1992 - Lexus named top nameplate in J.D. Power and Associates' SSI.

* May 1993 - Lexus becomes the top nameplate in J.D. Power and Associates' IQS for the second year in a row.

* July 1993 - Lexus ranks first in J.D. Power and Associates' CSI for the third year in a row.

* February 1994 - Lexus is ranked first in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Performance Index reflecting satisfaction of customers with two-year-old vehicles.

* May 1994 - Lexus sweeps the J.D. Power and Associates IQS by having all four models place in the top 10 in overall car rankings.

* June 1994 - Lexus takes the top-ranking in the J.D. Power and Associates SSI for the third time. Lexus scored 157 points resulting in the highest score ever achieved by any nameplate - 35 points above the industry average.

* July 1994 - J.D. Power and Associates' CSI study ranks Lexus the No. 1 nameplate for the fourth consecutive year. While improving on last year's top-ranked score, Lexus captures all major J.D. Power and Associates' customer satisfaction studies for which the division is eligible.

* January 1995 - Arthur D. Little, the leading international management-consulting firm, recognizes Lexus as the automotive industry's 1995 "Best of the Best" in customer management.

* March 1995 - In its first year of eligibility, Lexus tops all makes with the highest J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Index (VDI) score in the study's history.

* July 1995 - For an unprecedented fifth consecutive year Lexus tops J.D. Power and Associates' CSI. The five-year winning streak is the longest in the study's history.

* June 1996 - Toyota Motor Corporation's Tahara plant, which builds the Lexus LS 400 and GS 300 sedans, captures the J.D. Power and Associates Gold Plant Award among Asian manufacturing facilities.

* June 1996 - Lexus shares the top-ranking as Best Overall Nameplate for Sales Satisfaction in the 1996 J.D. Power and Associates SSI. Lexus also ranks first in the VDI for the second year in a row. Since the Lexus brand was established in 1989, the marque has captured 17 out of 22 major J.D. Power and Associates awards for which it has been eligible.

* March 1997 - For the third consecutive year Lexus tops the J.D. Power and Associates VDI as the No. 1 Nameplate in Long-Term Dependability among all car and truck brands. Lexus has won the VDI award every year it has been eligible.

* July 1997 - For the sixth time in its seven years of eligibility, Lexus ranks as the No. 1 car and truck line in the J.D. Power and Associates CSI study. Since introducing its first model in 1989, Lexus has ranked at the top in 30 of the 40 major J.D. Power and Associates' surveys for which the brand has been eligible.

* September 1997 - Lexus is named a total value leader in the Luxury and Near-Luxury Car segments by the research firm Strategic Vision in their 1997 Total Value IndexTM.

* April 1998 - Lexus captures the title of No. 1 nameplate in Long-Term Dependability after five years of ownership by J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Index (VDI). Lexus has earned this honor every year it has been eligible.

* July 1998 - Lexus ranks No. 1 in the J.D. Power and Associates CSI study for the seventh time in eight years of eligibility.

* March 1999 - Lexus ranks first in J.D. Power and Associates VDI for the fifth consecutive year.

* May 1999 - The Tahara plant, which builds the LS 400 and GS luxury sedans, shares the J.D. Power and Associates Platinum Plant Award with GM's Flint, Mich., plant.

* July 1999 - Lexus ranks No. 1 in the J.D. Power and Associates CSI study. This marks the eighth time in nine years that Lexus has received the top ranking.

* July 2000 - For the ninth time in 10 years, Lexus is ranked No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service in J.D. Power and Associates' annual CSI study.

* May 2000 - The Kyushu car plant, where the ES 300 is built, earns the J.D. Power and Associates Platinum Plant Award.

* November 2000 - Lexus ranks first in J.D. Power and Associates' VDI for the sixth consecutive year.

* May 2001 - For the second year in a row, the Kyushu car plant earns the J.D. Power and Associates Platinum Plant Award.

* July 2001 - Lexus once again ranks No. 1 in J.D. Power and Associates' CSI study for the 10th time in 11 years.

* November 2001 - Lexus ranks first in J.D. Power and Associates VDI for the seventh consecutive year.

* May 2002 - Lexus is the only luxury nameplate to rank first in any luxury segment of J.D. Power and Associates IQS. The Araco plant in Japan, which builds the LX 470, receives the Platinum Plant Award. It is the fourth year in a row a Lexus plant has earned the top award.

* November 2002 - Lexus ranks highest in Long-Term Dependability for the eighth consecutive year in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Index (VDI).

* November 2002 - Lexus is named No. 1 nameplate in Customer Satisfaction for Certified Used Vehicles in the J.D. Power and Associates Used-Vehicle Sales and Certification Study.

* May 2003 - Lexus vehicles ranked highest in four of 16 segments of the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), topping every segment in which they compete. The LS 430 had the fewest problems (only 76 problems per 100 vehicles) of any vehicle in the study for the seventh consecutive year. In addition to the LS 430, the GS 430/300, ES 300, RX 300 all ranked first in their respective segments.

* July 2003 - For the ninth consecutive year, Lexus is the top-ranked nameplate in the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS). Also for the ninth consecutive year, the LS 400 had the fewest problems per 100 vehicles of any car in the study. The RX 300 and ES 300 also ranked highest in their respective segments.

* July 2003 - For the second year in a row, Lexus Certified Pre-Owned vehicles ranked first in Customer Satisfaction in the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates Used Vehicles Sales and Certification Study.

* April 2004 - For the fourth consecutive year, Lexus is the top-ranked nameplate in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS). The SC 430 had the fewest problems per 100 of any vehicle in the study, followed by the LS 430. In addition to the SC 430, the GS 430/300, RX 330 and LX 470 all ranked first in their respective segments.

* June 2004 - For the 10th consecutive year, Lexus is the top-ranked nameplate in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS). Also for the 10th consecutive year, the LS 430 had the fewest problems per 100 vehicles of any car in the study. The RX 300, LX 470 and ES 300 also ranked highest in their respective segments.

Old 04-02-05, 07:40 PM
LexFather

1996 Lexus SC 400 Specifications and Price List Here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...35#post1266735

1997 Lexus Price List

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...html?id=960904

Improved Value, Refined Design Enhance 1997 Lexus Coupes

11/04/1996 Torrance, CA

November 4, 1996 - Torrance, Calif. - Reaffirming its commitment to the luxury sport coupe segment, Lexus today introduced the 1997 SC 400 and SC 300 Sport Coupes with more aggressive design features and enhanced value. Introduced in 1991, the Lexus Coupe was immediately recognized as a departure in automotive styling technique and its influence has since been evident in numerous vehicle designs.

Lexus executives anticipate modestly growing interest in sport coupes, fueled by new competition in the market. "As more and more Baby Boomers become empty nesters they will seek expressive, fun automobiles. Some will consider a luxury sport coupe," said Jim Press, Lexus Division senior vice president and general manager. "While lately some of our competitors are recognizing this with new two-door and two-seater entries, the SC 400 and SC 300 have already established a great reputation for style and performance. Now they're more attainable than before."

Already considered classics by many, the Lexus Coupes benefit from enhanced styling, advanced engineering and improved value. Manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) starts at $39,000 for the SC 300, equipped with standard 5-speed manual transmission. The automatic-equipped SC 300 is $39,900. MSRP for the V8-powered SC 400, equipped with a standard 4-speed automatic transmission, is $50,800.

Exterior and interior enhancements for 1997 are the first major styling changes since its inception. For a more muscular look and added protection, the SC receives a redesigned front bumper and fog lights along with an integrated front spoiler, side mud guards and a new wing-type rear spoiler. Refined rear lights enclosed in a dual-layer lens with new vertical-split graphics express greater depth and a stronger look. A new upper intake slot adds to the Coupes' more purposeful appearance.

Among new interior features is a Drive Computer that provides the driver with five types of trip information, softer leather seats for more comfort, a shift lever **** closer to the driver for improved ease of use, and a newly available black/ivory interior color combination for a more dynamic driving environment.

The SC 400 is powered by an all-aluminum 4.0-liter, four-cam 32-valve V8 producing 260 horsepower. The SC 300 powerplant is a high-revving 3.0-liter twin-cam 24-valve six with 225 horsepower output. The Lexus SC 400 and SC 300 have collected numerous awards, including best overall quality of any model in the most recent J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Survey. Thanks to greatly improved value, their distinctive style, performance and quality are more easily attainable. The SC 400 and 300 Coupes complete a lineup of 1997 Lexus vehicles which combine high customer satisfaction, the industry's highest quality and outstanding overall value. Pricing for the remainder of the 1997 Lexus lineup was announced September 4.

The all-new next-generation ES 300 entry-luxury sedan starts at just $29,900. The LS 400, the best-selling prestige import luxury sedan, features new standard side airbags, yet remains priced at $52,900. The GS 300 luxury sport sedan remains unchanged at $45,700, and the LX 450 luxury sport utility vehicle carries an MSRP of $48,450 for 1997.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-02-05 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection Sticky (Tons of Lexus facts here)