Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS(Flint Mica) Spotted at Nürburgring!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 03:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default new gs

I was at work earlier and didn't finish my comments.

Seems like Lexus is having problems designing headlights. Starting with the sc430 now this gs. Looks like they're trying to go somewhere with it but....not...I don't know, it's just not flowing imo. No Lexus is ugly. But I expect more from the company that has produced the beautiful cars we drive now. Looks like they're resting on their laurels. That's dangerous. The market can turn around in a heartbeat. Leave you behind if you don't keep up or keep ahead. I think the current MB E-class is one of the best looking cars out there. Lexus can't afford to not keep up. Jag is beautiful. M45 looks good. RL and TL look fine. Caddy is attractive. People will choose looks over reliability if it gets down right unattractive. It's not there yet but where the heck is it going?
Old 10-21-04, 03:34 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not feeling it yet. I think it is better lookling over all than the new M45 (Which I don't like), but the so called bland styling of the new RL looks much better. I guess like everything I have to se it in person. I liked the photoshop pictures when someone lowered it and did some aftermarket touchups, so maybe it will look good fixed up. In stock form it really is not a nice looking car.
Old 10-21-04, 03:52 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want it!! I want it!! I want it!!!!
Old 10-21-04, 04:06 PM
LexFather

I don't think most understand what has happened here.
The 1st gen GS was Giugario designed, how many sedans can say that?
The 2nd gen GS was to meet and beat the Germans and mimicked their size. Along with the Passat, it brought the now IMITATED BY EVERYONE curved roofline. Even the new Mazda 3 has that now.
The GS was the first car to put the turn signal inside the headlights. Now look at all the other cars that have coppied this. Altima, the new Benz's. Etc Etc
Even inside, how many have copied the gauge panel? The optitron gauges are 1 of a kind. No OTHER CAR has this.
The GS was the first car with the wood going up the sides of the console. This was copied by the TL and now the new Suburu Legacy.

The GS in 1997/1998 and until the $#^%&*&& NISSAN KNOCK-OFFS CAME was possibly the most daring SEDAN in styling.
The GS has split rear lamps! Only the IS has that as well.

The GS has been out almost 8 years. The design is now familar. You can thank those Nissan rip-offs for making you feel the new GS is nothing special.

But we should know, LEXUS is in the details. There are design cues on the 2nd Gen GS u really have to look and see.

There is not much else a sedan can do to look different. It's pretty much all been done.
Think about it. Lexus sold MAYBE 100k GSs in the USA in 8 years.
That knockoff Altima sells near 300k a year. We see em everywhere.
That knockoff Maxima sells near 100k a year.
The G35 sedan less so but I've heard the GS looking comment.
For those that travel, you might have gotten one of the above as a Rental.

The FACT is Lexus cannot control what OTHERS have done to mimic the GS. So when Lexus went evolutionary, with the 3rd gen, it was going to look like the others that copied the 2nd gen.

And besides, the LS has always looked, like a Benz. Maybe this is how some of them feel?

Old 10-21-04, 04:11 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the sides n back
i dont like the 2nd lights and the chrome trim around the lights and grill
looks way cheeser

wheels are hot
Old 10-21-04, 04:17 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Damn, you guys are a tough crowd.

I thought "Stoked Japanese Dude" would have convinced you for sure...
Old 10-21-04, 04:33 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Damn, you guys are a tough crowd.

I thought "Stoked Japanese Dude" would have convinced you for sure...
If he's stoked, so am I

I like the new GS. As 1SICK said, Lexus is all in the details, and it's the little design cues on this car that make me like it.

and the Nurburgring?! sweeett!!
Old 10-21-04, 05:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Too bad so many of you are so disappointed in the car, but I have a feeling that the new GS will be bringing a whole new clientele into the Lexus dealership. More expressive styling, a fabulous interior, and better performance and handling is the perfect formula to lure people out of BMW dealerships who are annoyed with iDrive and dislike the new Bangled Bimmers. There was even an article floating around about Lexus having intentions to steal BMW buyers with the new GS. The fact that the car is making it's rounds at Nurburgring is truly something to think about, and I don't think that many of you have really recognized that. BMW, Porsche and others use this track to tune the suspension on their cars, and it has a reputation for being one of the most punishing and hardest to drive tracks in the world. If Lexus wants to make sure that the new GS can handle Nurburgring, the issue of "more engine than the suspension can handle" myth will be dispelled in March of next year. A better handling GS with more performance and more style could prove to put Lexus even farther ahead in sales.

1SickLex really has a good point. Saying that the new GS looks like some Nissan/Infiniti designs isn't very fair when the styling of those cars playes off the current GS anyways. Since Lexus went for an evolutionary design theme with the new GS, of course the new car looks like some others because both Lexus and Nissan are taking cues from the same design. That being said, I really don't see much similarity between the 2006 GS and the Maxima, aside from the fact that they both have bumpers that protrude well past the trunk lid.

Bottom line: If Lexus gives us better suspension and handling coupled to one of the finest V8's available, a sleek new interior and a futuristic, sporty exterior, BMW and Mercedes could be in for some sleepless nights.

-Michael-

Last edited by MPLexus301; 10-21-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 05:15 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Not perfect, but looks better than the 5 series. Even I thought the new 5 series looked a lot better in person than in pictures.

I would still take this over any Bimmer 5 series or Benz E class that doesn't start with a "M" or end with a "55". And even then, if the GS had a souped up version, I would take over both of them. But I would take my 2nd gen GS over all of them. Makes me want to hold on to mine even more.

Not planning on buying it anytime soon, but maybe when my 98 GS starts to look outdated. With all the 2nd GS style rip offs out there, it still doesn't look outdated by any stretch.
Old 10-21-04, 05:39 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

I so hate the styling of this car Lexus quality will have to go impeccable heights for me to consider this car. Where is the grace and class. What happened to the smooth lines of the current GS? Soooo disapointed Ugh!

Robert

Last edited by iloveGS300; 10-21-04 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 08:06 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by brendanlim
Rear end (bleh). I always loved the originality of my 2nd generation rear end. The first action shot though -- hot.
Reminds me of that travesty called the new 7 & 5 series.
Old 10-21-04, 10:22 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Design is weak for the market they are trying to reach..
Don't get me wrong..its not ugly but does not mooooove me...period.
All i got to say is guys with your 2nd generation GS's...KEEP THEM...lol
Old 10-21-04, 10:31 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MPLexus301
The fact that the car is making it's rounds at Nurburgring is truly something to think about, and I don't think that many of you have really recognized that.
Agreed. I can't wait for this to actually hit the streets so we can get some user feedback from it
Old 10-21-04, 10:33 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default can't tell cars from cars

some cars are close looking to others in all aspects, i see accords n think they have a benz look,maximas looking like ques from the gs. the most important thing bout the look is the feel, and when you get to see a new gs i am sure the maxima thoughts should be deminished due to the car being plush, sporty, and actually built with excellent quality, unlike those "knockoffs"

some people are impossible to please als0

1sicklex

i remember a mag a while back saying that there were prob 25,xxx gs 300 a year
and the v8 cars are 20% of that being round 5000 or so, i remember being interested since i had a 400 and it being a fairly low number for a production vehicle w/o a special nameplate or motor.

Last edited by fireballs gs400; 10-21-04 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 10:44 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Pretty cool facts I didn't know about the current GS...thanks SickLex.

Can't wait to see the 3rd Gen in person. Based just on the pics, it doesn't look bad to me at all. Of course, I am imagining it dropped with some Teins, full JDM bodykit, JDM 19/20s, etc....

Quick Reply: New GS(Flint Mica) Spotted at Nürburgring!