Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

After 4 long years... goodbye and thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-04, 01:54 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy After 4 long years... goodbye and thanks!

I have been a regular on Clublexus since early in 2000. I had a 2000 Platinum Edition GS400 which I had to take back to the dealer a coule days ago. Let me tell you, it is incredibly hard to give up that key!!

If anyone has any suggestions for a 35-40k car or truck, I'm open to all! I'm looking at getting a new TL if anyone has any helpful info about that car. I will miss my V8 and the 300 ponies.....

Anyways, I would like to thank all of those who support the Clublexus family. I have gained a wealth of knowledge and inspiration in modding my car from this site. I'd also like to thank Mike Kilty who has made all this possilbe, with a wonderful place for all Lexus owners to meet and interact. And finally I'd like to thank all the memebers. It has been a blessing to have such friendly, helpful people here. Your time and input was greatly appreciateed. Keep up the good work!!

ROMINL
I see you moderate the AcuraWorld forum which I have been visiting. Nice to see a fellow ClubLexer' on there!! What do you think of the new TL??
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-04, 02:23 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey wasup justin
acura TL is a really nice car i think, but it has some interior rattle/dash squeek problems, not a big deal, and deal can fix it i believe, other than that i think its a really nice car to have.
for me i prefer RWD than FWD, but yeh it wont matter too much if you just want a car that looks nice/equip nicely and drives nice.
later
Old 02-13-04, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

hey man, yeah moderator over there too, how busy the new tl is very nice, i like the interior a lot. my only complain, as usual, is that it's fwd. go test drive the car, push it a bit, you will see that the tq steer and the understeer of that car is pretty severe. i think i am used to driving rwd car already, so when i drove the new tl i wasn't too impressed. definitely plenty of power of course.
Old 02-13-04, 04:08 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Re: After 4 long years... goodbye and thanks!

Originally posted by LexDriver18
I have been a regular on Clublexus since early in 2000. I had a 2000 Platinum Edition GS400 which I had to take back to the dealer a coule days ago. Let me tell you, it is incredibly hard to give up that key!!

why did you give up your lexus? was it on lease?

If anyone has any suggestions for a 35-40k car or truck, I'm open to all! I'm looking at getting a new TL if anyone has any helpful info about that car.
[/B]

for 35 or 40 thousand you can buy a very high quality used gs. you could pick up a 2000 gs400 for $30,000 and mod the heck out of it with the other $5000-$10000

my wife had a 2003TL the type S she gave it up at 5000 miles and now we both have 1999 gs 400's.
her TL developed the infamous transmission problem which i hear the new model has to. the new model is already famous for torque-steer.

QUOTE]Originally posted by LexDriver18
I will miss my V8 and the 300 ponies.....
[/B][/QUOTE]

once you've experienced the V8 and 300 hp and 300 lbs. torque plus rear wheel drive why would you ever settle for less. don't go.

well if you to go to the TL i'll still wave as i go roaring past you.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 02-13-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-13-04, 04:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Good luck Justin. You can still hang out even w/o a Lexus
Old 02-13-04, 04:21 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: After 4 long years... goodbye and thanks!

I'm assuming the GS was a lease?

Did you make an offer to buy out the lease??? At least you'd know what you were getting and frequently, leasing companies will negotiate residuals so that they don't have to go through the hassle of brokering a used car.

I like the TL a lot. I think its a great daily driver but I feel the car does have torque steer. Not much (if any) in the auto, but I felt it in the manual tranny car I drove. It's a much better bargain than my beloved IS (in my opinion) but I'd probably still buy the IS for the RWD handling. But that's just me. I also have an S2000 that I think is perfect as a daily driver so I'm a little nuts.
Old 02-13-04, 06:39 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: After 4 long years... goodbye and thanks!

If anyone has any suggestions for a 35-40k car or truck, I'm open to all! I'm looking at getting a new TL if anyone has any helpful info about that car. I will miss my V8 and the 300 ponies.....
I have a 02 TL Type-S. I bought the TL new and it costed more than my pre-owned 99 GS400 with navigation package and less than 26K mile. I bought the TL to cover the winter driving here. If I live in a warm climate such as CA, I would get GS4 and LS4 instead of FWD. In addition, just love the V8 35-40K would put you back in a low-mileage Lexus.
Old 02-14-04, 06:43 AM
Thal
Driver School Candidate

Check out the Infinity G35. It was a nice car when I was looking around. Good acceleration, good brakes. Drive it at night though. They way I like the seat/wheel positioned, I got some bad glare from the guages on the windshield. It was the main deciding factor in me not getting it.

Also, check the Audi A4 and A6. If you do not want to shell out the money for the V8, the 2.7T is a good alternative. Make sure to get the Quattro. Also there is a manual available for the 2.7T at least.

Finally, while it is a little smaller, and will run you about the same as a new lexus, check out the 3 series. With the way BMW does it's service, you will not shell out much for anything non wear related if you are only keeping the car 40k miles or so. If you want AWD, the xi is very nice. There is more room in the car then you would think looking at the outside. I would have gotten this one, but I wanted more performance, and a larger car, and I was able to get a gs430 for similar in price. Also, the SMG is available now in more of the 3 series.

Thal
Old 02-14-04, 05:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

The GS400 is a tough act to follow, especially now from a value standpoint.

Used- LS430

New- G35 coupe

Good luck man
Old 02-14-04, 09:02 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

although i never had much if any interaction with you here on CL, don't go leaving because you sold the lexus...

i'm guessing you don't last too long w/o a lex. how long till you buy another?
Old 02-14-04, 09:18 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Unhappy well

sorry to hear about the lexus departure. its time to get another lexus of course, Would be a hard choice...but either make a sick looking ls430 or get another gs and get some nice mods...toyota supra is nice too
Old 02-14-04, 09:30 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

30 -40k budget..you can get yourself in a used:

GS430
LS430
Supra TT
350Z
RX8

Good Luck
Old 02-14-04, 09:31 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Lexdriver, its a shame you have to give in your lex ! I remember you from back in the ez board days ! Hope u stick around !! Get another lex !!
Old 02-14-04, 10:00 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

damnit just buy another lex already.
Old 02-15-04, 03:31 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Well, I must say thanks for the nice replies. I'm going to miss all my friends here at clublexus.

To clear a coule things up. First of all, I did have the car on a lease. I got it in 2000. After long consideration I finally decided I can't afford to keep the lex. It was a wonderful car and didn't give me any problems at all!!

As for the new car. Since I don't drive all that fast I'm not SO concerned about power. Plus my girl has a new 6sp 350Z in case I need to feel some power!! What I like about the TL is the interior and size. Now, of course it can't touch the beauty of my gs4 but it does have a lot of features I had in my gs. Another huge reason is the nav system. The new TL comes with a voice activated nav w/ an 8" screen. The design of the nav kinda reminds me of the LS430. I love it.

The WORST part about the TL is I HATE the fact that it is FWD!!! I've had the past 3 years to love my 300hp RWD gs and I will never get used to the FWD. I don't understand why Acura still puts FWD in a car like the TL. It should be all wheel drive! But, this is the only part of the TL which I can't stand! Other than the FWD, you can't get much more car for the money!

As for:

G35 - was my first choice before TL. great power but ugly, hard to use nav, coupe, and ugly gauges
IS300 - no power, real small and I'm no fan of the interior.
A4 - same problems as IS300 IMO

So, if anyone has any opinions or suggestions for me I'm open to them. I should be getting something new next week. I will definately keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: After 4 long years... goodbye and thanks!