Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 10:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,293 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Default Cadillac on the right track?

From AutoWeek... (note the new V-series models will be somewhat like AMG and M-series from Germany).

Cadillac is on its way back but isn't there yet, said Marketing General Manager Mark LaNeve.

"What we do next will determine whether we can complete this renaissance or go down in history as having a couple of really good years," he said last week at the Automotive News World Congress.

LaNeve said Cadillac's plan to become the standard of the world has several components:

Product. Maintain strength in large luxury sedans and SUVs and enter key growth segments. Also use the V-series to re-establish a reputation for power and performance. An ultraluxury Cadillac is part of the plan.

Image. Build awareness for Cadillac's new products and extend the association with Led Zeppelin through 2004.

Dealer network. Retain profitable, premium dealers. Build consistency in dealerships, inside and out.

Residual values. Continue building residual values. The SRX, XLR and CTS are competitive with the imports.

Customer satisfaction. Continue to improve scores. Cadillac rose to second in 2003 on J.D. Power and Associates' Initial Quality Study.

LaNeve said Cadillac plans to open 75 dealerships in Europe, including 25 exclusive Cadillac-Corvette stores, by 2007.

In the question-and-answer session after his speech, LaNeve was asked why Cadillac would never sell cars less expensive than the CTS. The answer: Other GM brands occupy that territory.

Asked to name Cadillac's main competitors, he cited Lincoln in North America with the Navigator and Town Car. Globally, he said, they are BMW, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz.

Another questioner asked whether the XLR will hurt sales of the Chevrolet Corvette, with which it shares a platform. Since they are such different cars, LaNeve said, it's unlikely.
Old 01-24-04, 10:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The new STS is coming also... (note RWD and AWD!)

From AutoWeek

The 2005 Cadillac Seville STS will debut at the New York Auto Show in April and is expected to hit the market during the third quarter of 2004.

The all-new vehicle highlights Cadillac's signature exterior styling. An all-new interior incorporates genuine materials: eucalyptus wood, Nuance leather and aluminum accents. Engine options include the the 3.6L V6 VVT or 4.6L Northstar V8. The STS will also offer a rear-wheel or an all-wheel drivetrain.

The STS will be the third Sigma architecture vehicle built at the Lansing Grand River Assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan. The CTS entry luxury sedan and the SRX luxury performance utility are currently in production at the facility.
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac on the right track?-sts410.jpg  
Old 01-25-04, 12:48 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I am just a bit too old fashioned.

In my humble opinion, the new generation of Cadillacs are no different from the Bangled up Bimmers, each having a distinctive, and noticeable screwed up design that are too controversial to be enduring.

I would rather see Cadillacs being traditional boats that provide comfort for rich oil kings, executives, and politicians around the world.

But that's just me though.

Jon
Old 01-25-04, 01:09 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think cadillac finally pulled themselfs together. I mean come on, 400hp 6-speed sedan with no bull**** colors just silver or black. Yea the escalade has the image thing but i'm not even going to touch on that. Blingin aside I think that its great what cadillac has done but i'm still glad I drive a lexus.

Also i'd just like to point out it really bothers me its called the "sigma" design cause whenever I hear that word I instantly think back to 9th grade science... smegma
Old 01-25-04, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by IVXX
... smegma
Not a word I ever expected to see on ClubLexus, or in connection with Cadillac.
Old 01-25-04, 09:28 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Not a word I ever expected to see on ClubLexus, or in connection with Cadillac.
Ditto man, your gonna make my Honey Nut Cheerios do a reverse with that one, yuck!!!!
Old 01-25-04, 09:35 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

With the Escalade, Cadillac did the unthinkable, it made a stodgy old fogey brand something that 18-34 demographic could drool over!! Before 1997, when did you ever hear a 21 yr old say, hey man, just wait till I get my Eldorado, or Fleetwood!!

I think they did a good job of riding that success and using it to spur on other models. I think the CTS-V is a pretty sharp looking vehilce and it doesnt have any dumb options, like a padded roof! Although the new Sigma styles take some getting used to, they are at least consistent in form, i.e., sharp angles and creases. Unlike the Bangle babies which have convex and concave panels, sharp creases, soft creases, and a partridge in a pear tree!!!

Although I am not a Cadillac type of guy, they are building some cars at a level that I would not think I'd see American car makers (Euro tuned platforms, Rear Wheel drive, Manual trannies, etc etc). As someone said on another thread, this just makes it a MUCH better period to be a car driver and enthusiast!!

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 01-25-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-25-04, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The CTS-V has some amazing specs. 400HP. 14" front AND rear Brembo brakes. 6 speed manual tranny.

As many have said, Lexus isn't in this game. Cadillac plans to have more 'V' series vehicles, including the new STS. An STS-V could be AWESOME.
Old 01-25-04, 02:25 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

To think of how close I was to getting a cadillac just a year ago. I seriously wanted a black, 95-97 STS with tan interior. Although very nice cars they tend to have many mechanical issues and struts that cost 700 dollars each that can only be bought from a cadillac dealer. (!!!!!!!) After alot of careful thought I started checking out lexus SC400s on ebay... The first one I saw was a red 92 with 17K miles, mint and absolutely gorgeous. About 3 months later I found mine and have been very happy since.

Kudos to cadillac for some great performance cars... XLR is nice, the CTS type V is actually exactly as fast as the corvette it shares its engine with according to many sources.
Old 01-25-04, 07:16 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Well its good to see Cadillac making new moves and dropping FWD on luxury sedans. At least its somewhat expected from Acura, its just strange for an American luxury sedan to go FWD. I like the new angular designs and the whole greek letter alphabet platform design by GM is a great one. The Sigma is loking very sturdy and reliable, and the Kappa one which is coming out will be found on the Pontiac Solstice (talk about a cool car) and a few others I'm not sure of yet. This common platform idea allows for structurally efficient cars to be made relatively cheaply, and appear on many models.

For those who don't know...the Solstice

I never grew up a Cadillac fan, nor have me or my family ever owned one so these words are coming from a rather unbiased source to say the least. I don't know if the angular designs are what get me or the future promises of Vette transplanted engines, but whatever it is, I want BOTH V series caddies.

Can anyone say XLR Type V with the future Z06 replacement engine...?

James

Last edited by jet864; 01-25-04 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 02:40 PM
LexFather

I think they are making great strides. Messy thing is so is the competition. The competition is not standing still. So even though Caddy's are better than older Caddy's, so is the competition.
The CTS-V is a wonderful car, 50k new. However, the CTS interior (which is the same interior in the SRX) is sorely lacking. And though the "Edgy" styling is Caddy distinctive, that does not equate luxury.

In an article in EVO, Caddy executives were talking of the Escalades success. Caddy executives did like the profits it was bringing in, but they were not sure if it was a good thing for the Escalade to be celebrated so much with "rappers and MTV etc". They are frightned and totally unfamiliar with this new demographic that is buying Cadillacs.

Not sure ya'll heard this either:

by Paul A. Eisenstein

It creaks and groans…and roars.

Since its introduction at Detroit’s North American International Auto Show, last January, Cadillac’s sweet Sixteen ultra-luxury concept sedan has been the star of the auto show circuit. But the incredible ultra-luxury sedan is more than just a static display, as TCC discovered when an invitation recently arrived, offering us the chance to take the massive machine for a short spin through New York.

As you might expect, we jumped at the opportunity, fighting Monday morning traffic into the city in order to reach our designated rendezvous. Lavish and sprawling Wave Hill is one of those enormous old estates that once dotted the Hudson River shoreline, serving for a while as a home for not-so-rough-riding Teddy Roosevelt.

Set in the southern tip of the Bronx, you’d have a hard time imagining you were in the city. And considering the blinding sunlight, it was equally difficult to imagine that it had snowed barely a week before. But there was no denying that the 20-foot sedan sitting in front of the ex-President’s old home was the same car we’d first set eyes on at the Detroit Opera House last Winter.

There are plenty of concept vehicles that look great on a stand but lose much of their luster when they’re actually taken off their pedestals and put on the road. Not Sixteen. If anything, the car seems even more well-balanced, and distinguished. It seemed absolutely at home in front of the sprawling colonial manse.

After spending a bit of time on photography, we grabbed the digital key fob and jumped behind the wheel, accompanied by Brian Smith, the 30-year-old designer who was given the plum assignment of penning the ultimate Cadillac.

“You don’t get many opportunities like this in your career,” he conceded, with a mix of pride and resignation. Turning 31 in a few weeks, he can only hope a project anywhere near as grand will ever come along again.

The idea for a quarter-million dollar Cadillac has been kicking around for some time, and only became more urgent as Caddy’s European rivals announced plans of their own for the ultra-luxury market. The project got the green light in October 2001, and was quickly adopted by General Motors’ then-new “car czar,” Bob Lutz. Indeed, it was the former Chrysler President who decided to go for a V-16, rather than the V-12 powertrain originally under consideration.

That required the Advanced Design team to not only come up with a body, but an entirely new engine, as well. But thanks to recent development in math-based design and engineering, they were able to pull the project into shape in barely 15 months. Actually, they just met their deadline. Some of the final hand assembly tasks were completed mere hours before Sixteen’s formal debut at the Detroit Opera House. And in the three months since, quite a bit more work has been quietly underway to get the big sedan ready to roll.

To bring Sixteen to life, you simply press the “Start” button on the dashboard. You’re immediately rewarded with a whooshing noise, almost like firing up a jet, then a deep rumble pours out from under the hood as all 16 cylinders kick into action.

With an awe-inspiring 13.6 liters of displacement, Sixteen is rated for 1000 horsepower and roughly the same amount of torque. On paper, notes Smith, that should launch the sedan from 0-60 in barely 3.6 seconds.

It’s still pretty early in the development phase to say if the engine can meet its target, and we weren’t about to test the limits on this particular New York morning. Something about having responsibility for a one-of-a-kind, million-dollar prototype tends to promote a sense of caution. But even while driving like we had an egg under our accelerator foot, the car shot out of the box as if it were an Olympic sprinter.

That immediately elicited a serious of creaks, groans and crackles from various corners. It was hard to tell whether the driveline was complaining, or the suspension. With barely two inches of travel, the prototype wasn’t exactly designed for maneuvering around NY City potholes.

The fact that it could maneuver at all was impressive enough. And to help handle the narrow streets and tight corners around Wave Hill, the development team had wisely installed a four-wheel-steering system. Even so, they admitted the Sixteen prototype’s turning circle was a lumbering 42 feet.

The instrument panel is as much a work of art as the car’s exterior, with elegant aluminum bezels surrounding cut crystal lenses magnifying digital gauges.

The high-tech touches are consciously subtle. Smith and his fellow designers didn’t want to turn Sixteen into a clone of DaimlerChrysler’s Maybach, which seemingly incorporates every possible bit of gadgetry, from multiple video screens to an electroluminescent sunroof that can turn opaque – or light up – at the touch of a button.

Opulent, unabashedly, but the emphasis with Sixteen is on elegance, and even in its rough form, you can’t escape a feeling of grandeur as you tool around, staring across the car’s impossibly long hood.

The sedan is part of a four-phase process aimed at reviving a brand that once could rightly claim itself “the standard of the world.” Smith and his colleagues certainly had plenty to work with, but they wisely chose not to spend all their time looking at Cadillac past. “We wanted the car to drip heritage, not reek retro,” he says with a smile. That’s one reason he chose to use vertical lighting but to stay away from fins.

Since its Detroit debut, Sixteen has generated an overwhelmingly positive response. Lutz’s desk is covered with letters from potential buyers – as well as a few unsolicited down-payments.

For the moment, though, GM is still unsure what to do next. Coming up with an effective business case isn’t easy. Nor is it clear that the time is right to launch a vehicle like this one, which would have to come to market at nearly four times the price of today’s most expensive Cadillac.

But it’s pretty obvious that Caddy’s general manager, Mark LaNeve, wouldn’t mind having the car in his line-up. “It’s in our history, those one-off, highly-stylized, almost unattainable vehicles.”

With the brand showing unexpected signs of life, senior management is starting to listen, though the current economic climate is making it difficult to commit the necessary capital.

So while we can hope to one day test drive a production version of this over-the-top sedan, for now we’re happy to accept a few minutes behind the wheel of a concept few others will ever get to see off its pedestal.
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac on the right track?-caddy16.jpg  

Old 01-27-04, 03:21 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice post sick!! I seen the 16 up close at the auto show very nice looking ride
Old 01-27-04, 04:28 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

So now the BATMOBILE is supposed to make me like Cadillac?

I know I'm biased (a horrible experience with Saturn made me wave off GM products for life), but the current direction of Caddy does NOTHING to draw me in as a prospective customer. The whole Escalade image is a turn-off, and the new crop of angular wedgemobiles just makes me shake my head and laugh. And why oh WHY can no American carmaker see that if their prototype of a projected $250,000 car has squeaks and rattles it will remind me of the countless POS rental cars I get that remind me every single time why I will never again buy one of their substandard products?!

Sorry to rant, but the wine has been flowing this evening so I'm probably being more frank than usual...
Old 01-27-04, 04:40 PM
LexFather

Sorry to rant, but the wine has been flowing this evening so I'm probably being more frank than usual...
I totally agree with u. Not about the wine, the Caddy part.

Old 01-27-04, 10:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Overall Cadillac is def going in the right direction. But i still wouldnt be interested in buying any of their cars bec i really dont like the styling. Though, the Deville styling is ok.

The CTS-V is def a very impressive car, but if ur coming from a Lexus, u will regret spending 50k for it everytime u look at the interior.
If Cadillac starts to use the design philosophy shown on the sixteen concept i would def consider buying 1 in the future.

Quick Reply: Cadillac on the right track?