Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 05:27 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I went to the interview like I was going to buy the place. Thankyou for the advice though, although I know I am suppose to say those things and you practice what you want to say over and over again, sometimes it slips your mind. In the mean time while I wait to hear from the dealerships I will be going to apply at others so when the time comes I'll be able to pick and choose which dealership I'd like to work at.
I have a question though, should I just walk in and fill out an application and when I'm done filling out the application ask to speak to a manager? or should I call the dealerships first and ask to speak to a manager over the phone and try to get an appointment. For the Mercedes dealership I had an appointment but for the Lexus dealership I walked in and spoke to a manager. I also forgot to tell you guys that the lexus dealership is part of my old dealership's organization which is Bay-ridge automotive. The manager at the lexus dealership said that he would call my old toyota dealership next week to see if it would be alright to hire me. This I feal very good about because I left my old dealership on pretty good terms.

El gato
In NY there are not many high end dealerships but there are alot of consumers with the financial ability to aquire this vehicles, so therefore these dealerships move alot of volume at large amounts of gross profit. For an example, my old dearlership would move about 230-250 cars a month and the mercedes dealership I applied at moves about 160-180 cars a month and there are less salesmen. Plus I don't know about your dealership but my old toyota dealership doesn't supply there salespersons with demos. Also these high end dealers have less working hours, there is no such thing as a 12 hour day for these guys. So It's a big step up for me.

Thanks to everyone for their imput on this thread and please keep it comming.
Old 01-15-04, 07:21 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I would call the dealership and ask to speak to the New car manager.
I would then say to him, "Good Afternoon, did I get you at a good time Mr. Smith?" Great!! My name is Joe Salesman and I wanted to know if I may come in and speak with you about a sales position at your establishment? He's either going to say yes, or he's going to tell you that his floor is full. The first thing that you need to get out of the way is whether or not he or she is looking for a GOOD salesperson.
EVERY dealership is looking for a good salesperson and if they're floor is full, believe me, they'll make room for you. Anyhow, I've always preferred that a potential salesperson call first and ask for my time.
It shows respect and a TRUE desire to get in the door.
Old 01-15-04, 08:41 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

I'm going to hit the pavement tommorrow and will try everything that was given to me. Thanks.
Old 01-15-04, 11:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Stefwilli,

I hope u get the job at Bay Ridge Lexus, thats where i got my Lex from, so u can offer a special price for clublexus members.

Do car dealerships provide a base salary or is it just strictly commissions?
Old 01-16-04, 02:07 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Thanks
They give you both a base salary and commission, some dealers give more salary than others. All club lexus members can get a good price even if I don't work at lexus. All they have to do is post a tread when their ready to buy their vehicle and ask a car saleperson on CL for assistance, or PM me.
Old 01-19-04, 07:42 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Congrats on getting yourself in the door!!!
Old 01-21-04, 08:09 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Thanks methodical, I just want to let everyone know that I start at atlantic infiniti on Monday.
Old 01-21-04, 10:54 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Stefwilli
Thanks methodical, I just want to let everyone know that I start at atlantic infiniti on Monday.
Gratz... Hope everything works out... Let us know how it goes your first few wks...

Keep us posted...
Shawn
Old 01-21-04, 10:57 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Stefwilli
Congratulations.... keep us updated on how the job unfolds.