Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You Can't Fix Stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 04:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The idiocy of some drivers never ceases to amaze me. This happened just a couple of miles from my house in Northern Virginia. I often drive on I-66 myself.

Here, a dump truck, at cruise-speed, tries to pass under a standard-height ramp-overpass with its bed fully-extended LOL.

Fortunately, the bridge does not seem to be badly damaged...and there were no apparent injuries or deaths. But, as of today, according to local news, Vrginia State Police are still investigating, and charges against the driver may be pending.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-i-66/3610997/
again, watch gojirra99's video to see how this could have happened.

i see nothing 'lol' funny about this... in the second video the driver was crushed instantly and in the video you posted, many people could have easily been hurt or killed.
Old 05-09-24, 04:53 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
I saw that video and I thought this guy is worth looking into. One big tell is the guy is in the far left lane on what looks to be at 3 and maybe 4 lane highway. Incredibly nobody got killed or hurt. I respect driving a big truck has its challenges, especially today with many other drivers not giving them space to drive safely, but there is also some big rig drivers that are just plain dangerous. This guy seems to define that.
Recently, I was in a 3-car convoy going from Winslow to Flagstaff AZ on I40 West. Some of this highway has speeds of 75mph. Multiple times we were stuck behind semi-trucks in ALL THREE lanes, trying to pass each other - on long inclines! They were down to 40mph near the top of the inclines, with a long string of cars jockeying for position to pass them at the first opportunity. It is downright dangerous (and stupid) that semi-trucks can do this. In Europe and some parts of Great Britain, semi-trucks are restricted to the inside lane only. Also, in some parts they are not allowed to pull multiple containers. And have you seen how those trucks just destroy the roads? Roads have to be resurfaced almost every year because of the crowns on the road! As you can tell, I have little respect for stupid semi-truck drivers. When the hell will the Star Trek Transporter be invented - that would make the transportation industry obsolete!
Old 05-09-24, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
watch the video gojirra99 posted, and you will see how it can happen and how the driver could have no idea the bed was raised thinking they'd done some other action.

what i found pathetic from that video is how terrible the controls are on some trucks, and the lack of warning signals, especially if the driver isn't used to the truck or can't speak english!
Yes, I agree, it is an interesting video, and could maybe explain what happened here. I was not using the "LOL" in the context of the incident being funny , but more along the line of inattentiveness by the driver.....sort of like not using your checklists while flying.

One thing, though, that the video did not address......one would think that, with that big bed raised up like that, there would be an enormous amount of wind-resistance at the cruise-speed, air least enough for the driver to feel or to cause vehicle-buffeting.
Old 05-09-24, 05:29 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 97 Posts

there would be an enormous amount of wind-resistance at the cruise-speed, at least enough for the driver to feel or to cause vehicle-buffeting.
That's the part that I can't understand. How can a dump truck driver not feel that type of wind resistance?
Old 05-09-24, 05:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
That's the part that I can't understand. How can a dump truck driver not feel that type of wind resistance?
this was not an aerodynamic sedan. it has a lot of resistance and noise in all situations.
Old 05-09-24, 05:49 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 97 Posts

Every dump truck driver that's commented on this video says the same thing. It's impossible not to feel it, especially at highway speeds.

"Tippy" and "wobbly" are how most describe it.

I'm assuming meth or fentanyl contributed to this accident.

Last edited by LH1; 05-09-24 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-09-24, 06:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 215 Likes on 143 Posts

One thing, though, that the video did not address......one would think that, with that big bed raised up like that, there would be an enormous amount of wind-resistance at the cruise-speed, air least enough for the driver to feel or to cause vehicle-buffeting.
in the case of the accident in the video I posted, that section of the road is not at a major highway where you reach high speed, I drove through that road quite frequently, in fact, "the truck was stopped in traffic about 200 metres from the overpass, the RCMP said. When the truck started to drive forward, the box at the rear of the truck went up and slammed into the overpass."
Here is news article on that accident:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/man-dies-as-bridge-falls-on-b-c-garbage-truck-1.556439
Old 05-09-24, 08:47 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Recently, I was in a 3-car convoy going from Winslow to Flagstaff AZ on I40 West. Some of this highway has speeds of 75mph. Multiple times we were stuck behind semi-trucks in ALL THREE lanes, trying to pass each other - on long inclines! They were down to 40mph near the top of the inclines, with a long string of cars jockeying for position to pass them at the first opportunity. It is downright dangerous (and stupid) that semi-trucks can do this. In Europe and some parts of Great Britain, semi-trucks are restricted to the inside lane only. Also, in some parts they are not allowed to pull multiple containers. And have you seen how those trucks just destroy the roads? Roads have to be resurfaced almost every year because of the crowns on the road! As you can tell, I have little respect for stupid semi-truck drivers. When the hell will the Star Trek Transporter be invented - that would make the transportation industry obsolete!
Sounds down right stupid and dangerous. I am in Massachusetts and here, and I assumed in most places, that the far passing lane is illegal for 18 wheelers to use, not that I haven’t seen my fair share of that law being ignored. YMMV
Old 05-09-24, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
Every dump truck driver that's commented on this video says the same thing. It's impossible not to feel it, especially at highway speeds.

"Tippy" and "wobbly" are how most describe it.
Agreed.

I'm assuming meth or fentanyl contributed to this accident.
Maybe. Drugs are always a possibility. But, IF that is the case, marijuana would probably be more likely, simply because it is now legal and so much easier to get in a lot of places.
Old 05-09-24, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
in the case of the accident in the video I posted, that section of the road is not at a major highway where you reach high speed, I drove through that road quite frequently, in fact, "the truck was stopped in traffic about 200 metres from the overpass, the RCMP said. When the truck started to drive forward, the box at the rear of the truck went up and slammed into the overpass."
Here is news article on that accident:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/man-dies-as-bridge-falls-on-b-c-garbage-truck-1.556439
On the section of I-66 where the video I posted took place, though, it is a suburban Interstate highway, with a posted speed limit of 55....although traffic often goes faster than that if it is not backed up.

the RCMP said
​​​​​​​So the RCMP investigates traffic accidents in your part of Canada? I was aware, of course, of their existence, but I'm not familiar with all of their assigned duties.