Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best selling vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is a conclusion reached with no business knowledge or experience.

A business cannot pay the overhead for a dealer network if they don't have sales to justify that network. A company that reduces their number of dealerships did so because their sales no longer justified having that many dealerships. It becomes a vicious cycle, because like you say lack of dealers keeps customers from being able to buy the product...but if customers were buying enough of the product they never would have closed the dealers. A business can only pay non performing overhead for so long hoping for a turnaround until they have to make hard decisions and reduce that overhead. Also bear in mind that carmakers don't own and operate dealers, they are independently owned and operated. With nobody wanting to buy Mitsubishi cars, those owners decided not to continue with their Mistubishi franchises and closed them down. Again...no buyers...no dealers.

"Hope" is not a strategy.

What I outlined was pretty much the case in former times, when most of the buying and trading was done at formal dealerships. But, with more people buying on-line today and having vehicles delivered to their homes, this is less of a case...what you say has some merit.
Old 04-23-24, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What I outlined was pretty much the case in former times, when most of the buying and trading was done at formal dealerships. But, with more people buying on-line today and having vehicles delivered to their homes, this is less of a case...what you say has some merit.
No, even when people buy online from legacy automakers they buy from a dealership, its still all done through a dealership.

How many businesses have you owned and operated? I'm at 4. So yeah, what I say about how a business operates in regards to overhead has merit lol
Old 04-23-24, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, even when people buy online from legacy automakers they buy from a dealership, its still all done through a dealership.

How many businesses have you owned and operated? I'm at 4. So yeah, what I say about how a business operates in regards to overhead has merit lol

First, no one here, me included, is taking about how you run a buisness....that is your concern. Second, I'm not talking abut overhead....I'm talking about how well vehicles sell (the thread topic) and the public's access to sales outlets.
Old 04-23-24, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, no one here, me included, is taking about how you run a buisness....that is your concern. Second, I'm not talking abut overhead....I'm talking about how well vehicles sell (the thread topic) and the public's access to sales outlets.
Yes you are talking about overhead. You ignore the very real business reality that sales outlets are overhead, they require buildings and employees and utilities and taxes, those things cost money. Thats O V E R H E A D. You want manufacturers to pay the overhead of having dealerships in the hope that might make people want to buy their unappealing cars. Thats not a sound business strategy. Plus like I said, you need independent businesses (dealership owners and conglomerates) to want to open dealers for your product, which they don't want to do because they are smart enough to know its not viable economically.

What is a sound business strategy is to build a great product and slowly increase the number of sales outlets that are out there as your product's popularity expands. Thats smart growth. I can tell you about many businesses that were very successful but opened up too many sales outlets and those outlets put them out of business.
Old 04-23-24, 04:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes you are talking about overhead. You ignore the very real business reality that sales outlets are overhead, they require buildings and employees and utilities and taxes, those things cost money. Thats O V E R H E A D. You want manufacturers to pay the overhead of having dealerships in the hope that might make people want to buy their unappealing cars. Thats not a sound business strategy. Plus like I said, you need independent businesses (dealership owners and conglomerates) to want to open dealers for your product, which they don't want to do because they are smart enough to know its not viable economically.

What is a sound business strategy is to build a great product and slowly increase the number of sales outlets that are out there as your product's popularity expands. Thats smart growth. I can tell you about many businesses that were very successful but opened up too many sales outlets and those outlets put them out of business.
Surely Mitsubishi must have decided that they wanted fewer sales, so they closed down the dealerships. Somehow that's more logical than the fact that there was no reason for the dealership owners to keep them open when nobody was buying.
Old 04-23-24, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Surely Mitsubishi must have decided that they wanted fewer sales, so they closed down the dealerships. Somehow that's more logical than the fact that there was no reason for the dealership owners to keep them open when nobody was buying.
Right, and if only they had mmarshall running their company they would still be selling tons of cars lol
Old 04-23-24, 05:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Right, and if only they had mmarshall running their company they would still be selling tons of cars lol
My brother had a Mirage, and it was a pretty horrible car. Leaked and burned oil at the same time. Another friend who was an enthusiast had an EVO, he told me it revved out to 7000 rpm, but he never revved it past 5K because he said he "could break it" . Now I'm no expert on Mitsubishi, but that's two strikes, one more and I'm out
Old 04-23-24, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The reason people don't buy Mistubishis is they don't make good cars, and haven't for a long time...not because they have closed dealers. There was a time when Mistubishi made some compelling cars, The Galant, the Eclipse, etc...
Old 04-23-24, 06:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The reason people don't buy Mistubishis is they don't make good cars, and haven't for a long time...not because they have closed dealers. There was a time when Mistubishi made some compelling cars, The Galant, the Eclipse, etc...
I liked the 3000GT, but don't know if it's any good. I think I've only seen one or two on the road in the last 10 years
Old 04-23-24, 06:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

We had a Galant with 102hp!

Other than being death-trap-slow it was a decent car, I don't remember any issues with it at all. Back then the Diamante was legit, ES300 competitor.

About the topic of this thread, I have noticed that GM is starting to take the lead with truck sales and last year it was very close, I think

I think GM is doing so well with its trucks because they still offer V8s in all their trucks. Most people who buy the 5.3 just want 8 cylinders under the hood, and don't care than an Ecoboost will beat them. Truck owners especially love their V8s. 5.3 isn't as fast but it's certainly enough.
Old 04-23-24, 06:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
We had a Galant with 102hp!

Other than being death-trap-slow it was a decent car, I don't remember any issues with it at all. Back then the Diamante was legit, ES300 competitor.

About the topic of this thread, I have noticed that GM is starting to take the lead with truck sales and last year it was very close, I think

I think GM is doing so well with its trucks because they still offer V8s in all their trucks. Most people who buy the 5.3 just want 8 cylinders under the hood, and don't care than an Ecoboost will beat them. Truck owners especially love their V8s. 5.3 isn't as fast but it's certainly enough.
If you look at the breakdown of truck sales, both Ford and GM, I think you will find most sold are not with V8's. Most of the trucks at least sold here are with either the Turbo V6 or hybrid. I'll see if I can find a breakdown
Old 04-23-24, 06:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If you look at the breakdown of truck sales, both Ford and GM, I think you will find most sold are not with V8's. Most of the trucks at least sold here are with either the Turbo V6 or hybrid. I'll see if I can find a breakdown

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...f%20the%20year.
Old 04-23-24, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They simply cater to a different market now....instead of the young male crowd that buys and slams/customises Eclipses and Evos, or those who slog off-road in Monteros, they now lean to those with thin wallets, low credit ratings, and are simply looking for basic transportation at a low price. And they match the excellent 10/100 and 5/60 warranty available on Hyundais/Kias.

I never was a big fan of the Eclipse. The turbo and (later) V6 versions provided some bang for the buck in terms of power-to-weight ratio, and it was reasonably priced, but its reliability and and assembly-quality was atrocious for a modern vehicle (probably because of the many different problems at the Diamond-Star plant in Normal, IL). I sampled the latest convertible version before it was dropped, and it was even less impressive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-24 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-23-24, 06:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I liked the 3000GT, but don't know if it's any good. I think I've only seen one or two on the road in the last 10 years
It's nothing special.. Lol. They did make a Spyder version which was a folding hardtop, so I'll give them credit for that at least.
Old 04-23-24, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
It's nothing special.. Lol. They did make a Spyder version which was a folding hardtop, so I'll give them credit for that at least.

The 3000GT VR4, for the time, was a rolling technological marvel on wheels. It came with the folding hardtop roof you mentioned, AWD, all-wheel-steering, ABS, traction/stability control, a turbo V6, and even an adjustable exhaust-note which the driver could control with a console-switch.

Quick Reply: Best selling vehicles