Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

FWD vs AWD...how big of a deal is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 07:01 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
No I'm not since the diffs are just fixed ratio mechanical and they rely on brakes for all the but the top M cars. They can't direct 90 rear on launch and you can feel it with a full boost take off and nearly none of them have E-LSDs that can direct 100% to a single rear wheel
Utterly false. Excluding the Mini/FWD-based cars, here is the most basic BMW xDrive system:

The actuator motor drives the yellow gear, which directly actuates a scissor clutch, which controls the F/R torque split. The default split is 40/60, but it can go all the way to 0/100 if desired. Fully electromechanical, no brakes involved. The M xDrive system replaces this with a 5-plate wet clutch that can allow for different levels of slippage between axles without affecting the targeted torque distribution. This is used in the "4WD Sport" mode to allow you to hang the rear end out while still retaining traction in the front. Also the front output shaft can be mechanically disconnected via a setting in the iDrive, for a true 2WD mode when you want it.

The "M lite" cars have an eLSD, while full M cars have a real mechanical LSD.
Old 12-12-23, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

The Tundra is 2WD with selectable 4WD. Also very capable and has never fallen short for me. The only shortcoming is that 4WD cannot be used on dry pavement, thought that doesn't bother me because I don't need it on dry pavement.
That's because Toyota is cheap, and still uses part-time 4WD systems on some of its trucks, lacking a center differential which would allow different tire-rotation speeds on dry corners.

It isn't just a dry-pavement issue with the part-time 4WD. On a partly-plowed road, or the right sunlight-angle conditions, in a partly-melted condition, the road surface under one's wheels can constantly vary from dry to wet to snowy to ice...it is changing and inconsistent. You don't always know what it will be at any given second.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-23 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-12-23, 07:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because Toyota is cheap, and still uses part-time 4WD systems on some of its trucks, lacking a center differential which would allow different tire-rotation speeds on dry corners.

It isn't just a dry-pavement issue with the part-time 4WD. On a partly-plowed road, or the right sunlight-angle conditions, in a partly-melted condition, the road surface under one's wheels can constantly vary from dry to wet to snowy to ice...it is changing and inconsistent. You don't always know what it will be at any given second.
Not really a concern for me and I really don't worry about it. Most of the time in snow, I still just drive the truck in 2WD. A small patch of dry pavement here or there isn't going to kill it. When we get to the point in a snowfall where there are dry patches, I find 4WD isn't needed anyway. Just for the deep stuff. It's only going to bind on a long curve or sharp corner that's dry. It has proven itself extremely capable for me, so I wouldn't change it. One of the best vehicles I've owned, and our go-to in snowy weather. It's been a delight to own.
Old 12-12-23, 10:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,553 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
No I'm not since the diffs are just fixed ratio mechanical and they rely on brakes for all the but the top M cars. They can't direct 90 rear on launch and you can feel it with a full boost take off and nearly none of them have E-LSDs that can direct 100% to a single rear wheel, the Lexus system and MB systems are 100% just reactive mechanical systems with a fixed static ratio that doesn't adjust till slip and they can't direct more than 60% forward in snow etc
Incorrect. You need to do some research into these systems. No they are not torque vectoring, they can only distribute power front to rear but they are fully variable and can distribute 90% of power to the rear or front as needed. It can shift power side to side using the brakes. 4Matic + as found in the AMG cars can distribute 100% of the power to the rear. The Lexus and BMW systems are similar.

Old 12-12-23, 11:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not really a concern for me and I really don't worry about it. Most of the time in snow, I still just drive the truck in 2WD. A small patch of dry pavement here or there isn't going to kill it. When we get to the point in a snowfall where there are dry patches, I find 4WD isn't needed anyway. Just for the deep stuff. It's only going to bind on a long curve or sharp corner that's dry. It has proven itself extremely capable for me, so I wouldn't change it. One of the best vehicles I've owned, and our go-to in snowy weather. It's been a delight to own.

It's always those who don't actually own or drive trucks who insist they should be full-time 4wd.
Old 12-12-23, 11:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

FWD cheap and easy to drive for the novice driver.
Then, FWD-based AWD for a little more sophistication.
Then RWD.
Finally, RWD-based AWD.
Old 12-13-23, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's always those who don't actually own or drive trucks who insist they should be full-time 4wd.
Well, one reason we are seeing full-time 4WD and/or systems with center-differentials in more trucks today is that more buyers are demanding it.

See tihs link for more info:

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/11/...hen-to-use-it/
Old 12-13-23, 12:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Auto 4WD is not full-time 4WD. The system linked above is still using a transfer case rather than a center differential. It just has a clutch in it. And you can still run it in purely 2wd.

I prefer the traditional 2 speed mechanically locking transfer case that my XLT F-150 has in it. I don't need 4 auto, I can drive on the highway just fine without it. But the clutched transfer cases sacrifice some off-road capability because the clutch allows the front driveshaft to slip.

I would not want my truck to have either a clutched transfer case or a center differential. I only want the rear axle powered on the highway, and I need it to lock up when I'm off-roading.

Old 12-15-23, 09:13 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

I thought this fit here well

Spoiler:
The RWD BMW won overall vs the FWD Audi in the snow, but the most important factor in snow is the tires, not which wheels move the car.
Old 12-15-23, 09:49 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I thought this fit here well
thanks for sharing that was interesting! i still can't believe i've gone all these years just assuming the A4, A6, and A8 were RWD architecture on the basis that they're executive german cars which are 'direct competitors' to the C, E, S classes and 3, 5, and 7 series respectively... but the audi looks and proportions make so much more sense now

but yes what that video ultimately shows is tires tyres still make the biggest difference
Old 12-15-23, 10:55 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
but yes what that video ultimately shows is tires tyres still make the biggest difference
Better to have some traction from 2 wheels than none from all 4 (cough cough, all season tires in snow)
Old 12-15-23, 01:31 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 885 Likes on 556 Posts

A couple of factors are in play here. First, if you don't have to deal with inclement weather, RWD wins. But if you do, AWD wins.

Second, the question of whether FWD-based AWD can handle. Yes, RWD-based AWD generally wins, because its engine and transmission are farther rearward for better weight distribution. But PROPER torque vectoring can do a tremendous job of negating understeer. By "proper," I mean (electromechanically or whatever) actually propelling the rear wheels at different speeds. "Brake-based torque vectoring" isn't. It's just faking it by activating individual brakes; it can't push you forward.

Finally, there is a legitimate reason for on-demand AWD besides cheapness, and it's fuel eocnomy. Audi has changed over some of its models, and not just the cheapest ones, to on-demand for this reason. The electronic sensing of traction loss has gotten a lot faster, minimizing the squirrelly behavior that used to bedevil this setup.
Old 12-15-23, 01:57 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Second, the question of whether FWD-based AWD can handle. Yes, RWD-based AWD generally wins, because its engine and transmission are farther rearward for better weight distribution. But PROPER torque vectoring can do a tremendous job of negating understeer. By "proper," I mean (electromechanically or whatever) actually propelling the rear wheels at different speeds. "Brake-based torque vectoring" isn't. It's just faking it by activating individual brakes; it can't push you forward.
i'd be surprised if weight distribution really played a role here... the biggest factor is that the power is sent to the rear wheels first so you're still able to "steer" with the throttle, whereas with FWD based systems (depending on how much power can be sent to the rear) hitting the gas will just cause you to push outward and not turn
Old 12-15-23, 02:45 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 885 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'd be surprised if weight distribution really played a role here... the biggest factor is that the power is sent to the rear wheels first so you're still able to "steer" with the throttle, whereas with FWD based systems (depending on how much power can be sent to the rear) hitting the gas will just cause you to push outward and not turn
Here's a link to the industry bible Ward's Auto World, stating as a fact that Audi imitated Honda/Acura's torque-vectoring "SH-AWD" system specifically to counteract the understeer caused by Audis' nose-heavy weight distribution. https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analy...r-differential
Old 12-15-23, 03:12 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Here's a link to the industry bible Ward's Auto World, stating as a fact that Audi imitated Honda/Acura's torque-vectoring "SH-AWD" system specifically to counteract the understeer caused by Audis' nose-heavy weight distribution. https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analy...r-differential
oh sorry i thought we were still talking about that snow test specifically lol... yes then i retract weight distribution plays a noticeable role

Quick Reply: FWD vs AWD...how big of a deal is it really?