Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California sues oil companies, wants trillions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 09:48 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I am a father and I'm terrified for what my daughter's generation will experience. But I have some hope too.

I was recently at a car show with thousands of pre-emissions-era vehicles cruising around a fairgrounds in Southern California. And the collective uncatalyzed fumes nearly made me vomit. I didn't live in Los Angeles then, but in the 1970s, the locals say the air was toxic most of the time. Where I was growing up in the North East, acid rain had nuked forests and lakes.

But thanks to changes made by the EPA and California Air Resources Board, we've managed to make a lot of positive changes. But as we've all been experiencing, it hasn't been enough. Not with other global economies experiencing their own industrial revolutions and modernizations. We need to do more, and we know big oil companies have been hiding the truth.

Is this lawsuit going to fix things? No. Are 1000 horsepower 4-ton electric SUVs and trucks going to save the planet? Definitely not.

But we need to try something. Many things. Anything other than staying the course.

We've shown that we can clean up our air and water in significant ways. And I'd like to believe that we can do the same with this next chapter. Maybe we can charge up to four cars in a single house per day if we install solar panels and battery packs. Maybe EV mandates are insane and we need to push for zero-emissions hybrid vehicles while focusing on getting regional and port trucking into electrification with systems like the one Toyota developed that use hydrogen fuel. There probably won't be one answer. Whatever we do isn't going to be free or cheap.

But we know doing nothing is wrong.
Old 09-21-23, 10:08 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 501 Likes on 312 Posts

@MPalmer , if this particular forum had the "like" option, you'd have gotten one from me.
Old 09-21-23, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Agreed! It is interesting to smell old cars like that, I forget how bad they smelled.
Old 09-21-23, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Agreed! It is interesting to smell old cars like that, I forget how bad they smelled.

Not only that, but don't forget that many of these cars came from the factory with built-in ash trays and electrically-heated push-in/pop-out cigarette lighters...this was an age when smoking was socially acceptable, and the norm for most adults. The smell of ashes and tobacco smoke would permeate the interior furnishings.
Old 09-21-23, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but don't forget that many of these cars came from the factory with built-in ash trays and electrically-heated push-in/pop-out cigarette lighters...this was an age when smoking was socially acceptable, and the norm for most adults. The smell of ashes and tobacco smoke would permeate the interior furnishings.
I mean how they smell outside when they are running
Old 09-21-23, 12:21 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Smelling from old classic cars is one thing and no one wants it but is that the issue they try to fix? We're talking about different things here. If that were the issue, the "leaders" would have put out different policies directed to these cars.
Old 09-21-23, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Smelling from old classic cars is one thing and no one wants it but is that the issue they try to fix? We're talking about different things here. If that were the issue, the "leaders" would have put out different policies directed to these cars.
Its just an example of how much cleaner cars run today than they used to.
Old 09-21-23, 02:50 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Not only how they used to run, but it was shocking to revisit the fact that gasoline vapors are escaping from the gas caps (which were vented back in the day) as well as the intakes/carburetors.

I was walking past a Tri-Five Chevy that had been stored overnight outside (but under a car cover) just as they were taking off the cover and thank god no one was smoking nearby, hahaha.
Old 09-21-23, 03:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Not only how they used to run, but it was shocking to revisit the fact that gasoline vapors are escaping from the gas caps (which were vented back in the day) as well as the intakes/carburetors.

I was walking past a Tri-Five Chevy that had been stored overnight outside (but under a car cover) just as they were taking off the cover and thank god no one was smoking nearby, hahaha.
Yeah, remember what garages used to smell like?!
Old 09-21-23, 03:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

I am a father and I'm terrified for what my daughter's generation will experience. But I have some hope too.

I was recently at a car show with thousands of pre-emissions-era vehicles cruising around a fairgrounds in Southern California. And the collective uncatalyzed fumes nearly made me vomit. I didn't live in Los Angeles then, but in the 1970s, the locals say the air was toxic most of the time. Where I was growing up in the North East, acid rain had nuked forests and lakes.

But thanks to changes made by the EPA and California Air Resources Board, we've managed to make a lot of positive changes. But as we've all been experiencing, it hasn't been enough. Not with other global economies experiencing their own industrial revolutions and modernizations. We need to do more, and we know big oil companies have been hiding the truth.

Is this lawsuit going to fix things? No. Are 1000 horsepower 4-ton electric SUVs and trucks going to save the planet? Definitely not.

But we need to try something. Many things. Anything other than staying the course.

We've shown that we can clean up our air and water in significant ways. And I'd like to believe that we can do the same with this next chapter. Maybe we can charge up to four cars in a single house per day if we install solar panels and battery packs. Maybe EV mandates are insane and we need to push for zero-emissions hybrid vehicles while focusing on getting regional and port trucking into electrification with systems like the one Toyota developed that use hydrogen fuel. There probably won't be one answer. Whatever we do isn't going to be free or cheap.

But we know doing nothing is wrong.
You're only looking outward and placing blame. You are the problem. I am. We all are. If you don't want to pollute then don't, ride a bike everywhere. Never buy oil based products. Don't fly. Don't buy any products that use oil and natural gas to produce. But you won't because you very much enjoy your standard of living which is largely enabled by oil. You buy what you want, what makes you comfortable, what entertains you. What you need to survive. I'm not only blaming you, but take responsibility instead of pointing fingers. I know this sounds harsh but people need to be real about their environmental impact.

It's cool to hate on oil producers but you're life would be extremely miserable without them. Modern medicine would cease to exist without oil. The scope of what oil has done to create our modern society is staggering. Oil has lifted billions out of poverty. The benefits are nearly endless.

There is an old saying every drop doesn't think they are the ocean.

Old 09-21-23, 04:12 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

I understand that I'm part of the problem. It's why I'm calling for change and said "we" several times. But let's not pretend the oil companies are some sort of altruistic heroes, although I readily admit to all the advancements you mention. The sincere question I have is, that's great, we're all at fault, now what?

Maybe I'm a cool kid who hates big oil or whatever, but how do you see moving humanity forward? (Again, all sincerity intended.)

As best as I can tell, this century's calamities aren't going to be solved by me not driving (I've largely worked from home since 2008) and riding a bike (I do that too, although I love my cars). It's going to take massive mobilization at a national scale. The problem is that the necessary changes are not easily identifiable (doing X guarantees this amazing result, etc.), and many people are going to feel like any mandated changes are oppression.

But if we do nothing, extreme weather-fueled catastrophes are going to continue unabated. And maybe it's too late to stop that. Maybe we can only hit the pause button. I don't know. But for our children, I do wish to try.
Old 09-21-23, 04:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yall know what we burned for energy before we had oil? trees and whale oil, lets go back to that and how impoverished was the world in general in that age because of the price of energy?
Old 09-21-23, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You're only looking outward and placing blame. You are the problem. I am. We all are. If you don't want to pollute then don't, ride a bike everywhere. Never buy oil based products. Don't fly. Don't buy any products that use oil and natural gas to produce. But you won't because you very much enjoy your standard of living which is largely enabled by oil. You buy what you want, what makes you comfortable, what entertains you. What you need to survive. I'm not only blaming you, but take responsibility instead of pointing fingers. I know this sounds harsh but people need to be real about their environmental impact.

It's cool to hate on oil producers but you're life would be extremely miserable without them. Modern medicine would cease to exist without oil. The scope of what oil has done to create our modern society is staggering. Oil has lifted billions out of poverty. The benefits are nearly endless.

There is an old saying every drop doesn't think they are the ocean.
Just because somebody is unable to or unwilling to stop using oil altogether doesn't mean that they can't legitimately be concerned about what the future will bring or want to see the country moved forwards
Old 09-21-23, 05:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

I understand that I'm part of the problem. It's why I'm calling for change and said "we" several times. But let's not pretend the oil companies are some sort of altruistic heroes, although I readily admit to all the advancements you mention. The sincere question I have is, that's great, we're all at fault, now what?
Support companies that are green as much as possible. Grow your own food, buy food sourced locally. Don't buy junk you don't need. It's a start. I wish there was a viable way to keep track in totality my energy and pollution footprint.
Maybe I'm a cool kid who hates big oil or whatever, but how do you see moving humanity forward? (Again, all sincerity intended.)
We need to leverage oil while we still have it to build a sustainable economy. This is incredibly complex hopefully it is possible.
As best as I can tell, this century's calamities aren't going to be solved by me not driving (I've largely worked from home since 2008) and riding a bike (I do that too, although I love my cars). It's going to take massive mobilization at a national scale. The problem is that the necessary changes are not easily identifiable (doing X guarantees this amazing result, etc.), and many people are going to feel like any mandated changes are oppression.
This is another way of saying, I can't make a difference why bother trying. You need to admit that you 100% will not sacrifice your lifestyle and general comfort to save the planet. Almost no one will. The calamity as you put it the sum total of everyone on the planet using resources. That's not to say companies are squeaky clean and absolved of all blame. Oil and chemical spills for example are unforgivable. But as a society we do stupid things. Canada refuses to fully leverage their natural resources instead we buy oil from countries that have zero environmental regulations. The result is everyone in Canada pollutes far more than necessary.
But if we do nothing, extreme weather-fueled catastrophes are going to continue unabated. And maybe it's too late to stop that. Maybe we can only hit the pause button. I don't know. But for our children, I do wish to try.
Deaths from extreme weather are at an all time low, by a factor of 100x or more compared to 200 years ago. My view is it doesn't matter if we are causing extreme weather events (I consider that unprovable) focus on clean energy, reducing pollution, creating products that are sustainable.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just because somebody is unable to or unwilling to stop using oil altogether doesn't mean that they can't legitimately be concerned about what the future will bring or want to see the country moved forwards
You can't complain about something then keep doing it and expect anything to change. Concern on its own is meaningless. Plus you certainly are not overly concerned given the cars you buy. Not calling you out merely stating a fact. I am no different, almost everyone is in the same camp. Sure there are a few crazy people that glue themselves to the road they appear very concerned. Are they actually helping? Heck no.

I think what many people haven't considered is maybe there is no solution. Maybe it's impossible for 8 billion people to maintain their standard of living and do it in an environmentally neutral way. There are currently people with tremendous influence that absolutely believe this, their solution is chilling.
Old 09-21-23, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m not concerned enough to change what I buy and do, no.

Quick Reply: California sues oil companies, wants trillions