Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Avoid the Current-Generation Ford Explorer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-23, 09:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,491 Posts

from the horse's mouth:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...2/reliability/

We expect the 2023 Explorer will be much less reliable than the average new car. This prediction is based on data from 2020, 2021 and 2022 models.
the latest gen was released in 2020 and clearly they had issues out of the gate. so basing their prediction in part on the year it came out is flawed, because car makers can and do make continuous improvements.

Old 06-11-23, 10:55 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think it’s fair. I rented one for a week one time and I was very underwhelming.

My first car was an Explorer, so I really want to like it
The first generation was the best in its history, since my mom has owned one for the last 25 years. Lol
Old 06-11-23, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The first generation was the best in its history, since my mom has owned one for the last 25 years. Lol
Mine was a 95, so the refresh. Big issue was transmissions, those transmissions were really weak. Mine had to be rebuilt at about 60,000 miles.

Mine looked just like this one:

Old 06-11-23, 11:12 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine was a 95, so the refresh. Big issue was transmissions, those transmissions were really weak. Mine had to be rebuilt at about 60,000 miles.

Those wheels are pretty neat.

My mom's is a 96 red XLT. It has 165,000 miles and everything seems to work just fine except the rear windows don't roll down and the battery gauge no longer works correctly. Transmission seems to shift just fine and I honestly can't tell you if she's ever had the fluid changed out. Probably too late because I hear if you do that too late in a car's life span, it can start slipping.

She barely drives anymore though, like maybe 1,000 miles a year. The thing is a major gas hog and of course it's going to get even less than it did back in the day when it was new due to all the wear and tear.
Old 06-11-23, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what does "one out of five" even mean?
Typically, it refers to the bottom 20%.
Old 06-11-23, 11:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 948 Likes on 753 Posts

CR likes to make shrill claims, especially against makers other than toyota.

this site gives the explorer average reliability.

https://repairpal.com/reliability/ford/explorer

from that link:

does that sound like a 1 out of 5 nightmare?
No, not really. lol

I bought my old Explorer around 30-40l miles and drive it to approx 80k(if I remember) miles before I traded it.
Didn't spend a penny or do anything to it but tires and oil changes.

I think it was running the V-6.
I'd like a new one.
Old 06-11-23, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

from the horse's mouth:

the latest gen was released in 2020 and clearly they had issues out of the gate. so basing their prediction in part on the year it came out is flawed, because car makers can and do make continuous improvements.

True, but CR did not just take one year of data...usually, predictions for 2023 models would include data up through 2022, assuming enough samples of that year had been sold to have an adequate database.
Old 06-11-23, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Or, maybe they like Ford Explorers. lol
Trade it in for a new one, problem solved. lol
Maybe, maybe not. The problem won't be sold if they get another lemon. I learned that lesson many years ago, in the late 70s and early 80s, with domestically-designed Chrysler products....I got two lemons and a third partial-lemon.
Old 06-11-23, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With the monochrome paint and running-boards, looks like a top-line Limited trim-version. The Limiteds and Eddie Bauers were considered the top of the rung.

Did you get stuck with those defective Firestone Wilderness tires? Ford made the tire-failure problem even worse by dropping the tire-PSIs from 30 to 26 PSI. Owners were complaining about a stiff, trucky ride, so Ford took the cheap, easy way out and just made the tires softer, not paying enough attention to what would happen of they were overloaded in high-temperature and high-speed conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-23 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-11-23, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just released today....June 11. Class-Action lawsuit on 2020+ Explorers......rear subframe/axle-bolt failure.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Old 06-11-23, 12:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but CR did not just take one year of data...usually, predictions for 2023 models would include data up through 2022, assuming enough samples of that year had been sold to have an adequate database.
and i quoted that very thing (from them), they used 2020, 2021, and 2022 surveys to 'predict' 2023. of course if any of those years was horrendous it will hugely skew any prediction. i don't have access to CR but can you see if 2022 ACTUALS for example is better than 2020?
Old 06-11-23, 01:28 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

from the horse's mouth:

Unfortunately, FMC is known for not making continuous improvements on their vehicles until a new version is released, unlike other manufacturers. Others make improvements even during current model runs, Ford tends to 'wait'. Why, is anyone's guess.
Old 06-11-23, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
Unfortunately, FMC is known for not making continuous improvements on their vehicles until a new version is released, unlike other manufacturers. Others make improvements even during current model runs, Ford tends to 'wait'. Why, is anyone's guess.
Ford has a history of doing that. The most famous case, of course, is probably the Pinto of the early '70s......management approved the release of the 1971 Pinto with a known hazard (warned of by the engineers) of having the fuel tank outboard of the rearmost frame rail...with virtually no protection at all in a rear-impact. Ford management figured that the cost of any lawsuit-settlements would be less than the cost of revising the design.There was also the issue of keeping the car's weight down to 2000 lbs. empty....a revised frame or gas tank location would have exceeded that. The rest, of course, is history.
Old 06-11-23, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Those wheels are pretty neat.
They were a nightmare to clean though!

My mom's is a 96 red XLT. It has 165,000 miles and everything seems to work just fine except the rear windows don't roll down and the battery gauge no longer works correctly. Transmission seems to shift just fine and I honestly can't tell you if she's ever had the fluid changed out. Probably too late because I hear if you do that too late in a car's life span, it can start slipping.

She barely drives anymore though, like maybe 1,000 miles a year. The thing is a major gas hog and of course it's going to get even less than it did back in the day when it was new due to all the wear and tear.
We had that Explorer in the family until a few years ago, it had 225,000 miles on it. All in all it was a good truck.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With the monochrome paint and running-boards, looks like a top-line Limited trim-version. The Limiteds and Eddie Bauers were considered the top of the rung.

Did you get stuck with those defective Firestone Wilderness tires? Ford made the tire-failure problem even worse by dropping the tire-PSIs from 30 to 26 PSI. Owners were complaining about a stiff, trucky ride, so Ford took the cheap, easy way out and just made the tires softer, not paying enough attention to what would happen of they were overloaded in high-temperature and high-speed conditions.
Yep, it was a Limited. Mine never had Firestone tires (the problematic tires were the Firestone Radial ATX not the Wilderness AT), it came with Goodyear Wranglers.
Old 06-11-23, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mine never had Firestone tires (the problematic tires were the Firestone Radial ATX not the Wilderness AT), it came with Goodyear Wranglers.
According to the NHTSA, it was the Wilderness ATs that were giving most of the trouble.

(This is a pdf file, so it will download into your hard-drive)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mukeI5KGuCpfi4

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Avoid the Current-Generation Ford Explorer.