Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 10:50 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Trying to figure out how this competes with X7 and GLS?
Old 05-10-23, 11:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz
Its a 3-row luxury SUV. There will be some cross shopping going on even if it isn’t a direct competitor.
Old 05-10-23, 11:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seems like no crossover nowadays ends up being a dud or a snooze. Even the (IMO) butt-ugly Nissan Juke and Toyota C-HR managed to sell in significant numbers.
it can be a snooze even if it sells in significant numbers... of course many vehicles sell well BECAUSE they're a snooze.
Old 05-10-23, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it can be a snooze even if it sells in significant numbers... of course many vehicles sell well BECAUSE they're a snooze.
OK...agreed. I was referring to "snooze" as not selling much, but, yes, you have a point with vanilla road-manners. Many of the crossovers most in demand drive like appliances. And the hardest one to get right now (the Corolla Cross) is arguably the most vanilla of all.
Old 05-10-23, 03:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
You're going to buy a vehicle this time?
Yeah whatever we get to replace the Pacifica we're going to buy. It doesn't make sense for me to lease two vehicles for tax purposes anymore, I used to pay my wife as a contractor so we could write both leases off but I don't do that anymore so with lease rates being so close to finance rates makes no sense to lease her car. Depending on the rates at the time and how my investments are doing I might break my cardinal rule and actually pay cash for it...another option is just to buy the Pacifica out and keep that another few years.

i think this tx will be a giant snooze. a grand highlander with nicer interior (maybe).
Thats exactly what its supposed to be. A classy, spacious family hauler.

it won't, it will be much cheaper than the X7 and GLS. It will compete because its a spacious 3 row and its cheaper.
Old 05-10-23, 04:48 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure majority don't buy X7 or GLS because of the third row.
Old 05-10-23, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
Pretty sure majority don't buy X7 or GLS because of the third row.
I would disagree with that, the majority of both I see running around are driven by women and are family haulers. The GLE and X5 are near identical to the GLS and X7. If I were buying one for me I wouldnt get the longer vehicle.
Old 05-11-23, 05:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats exactly what its supposed to be. A classy, spacious family hauler.
i don't think it will be any 'classier' than an acura mdx, but as you said, a little bigger inside. but if someone wants a big premium suv, i think the american offerings are better.
Old 05-11-23, 06:52 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 369 Likes on 254 Posts

Indeed, a Yukon with a 6.2L V8 in this segment is the way to go.
Old 05-11-23, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

I dont really have high hopes for this thing. The GH, while it is good, based on static reviews, it still looks to be space compromised a bit in the all important 3rd row.
Old 05-11-23, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think it will be any 'classier' than an acura mdx, but as you said, a little bigger inside. but if someone wants a big premium suv, i think the american offerings are better.
And Acura MDX is also a "classy" family hauler. more than a little bigger...the MDX is quite small inside. Similar in size to a Highlander

The American offerings are too big, I assume you mean the big BOF SUVs? Lots of us don't want big BOF trucks like those, we want big spacious unibody crossovers. A Yukon wouldn't fit in my garage and my wife would flat out refuse one.

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Indeed, a Yukon with a 6.2L V8 in this segment is the way to go.
Different segment...most people who look at these vehicles don't cross shop the two.
Old 05-11-23, 05:39 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Can't believe I missed this. I understand that the RWD 2003 HPX never happened on the N-Platform in the 2000s and TX
​​​​in trademark in 2009 might have had a connection to it (OP probably knows).

Lexus HPX V8 Concept - 2003

Lexus HPX V8 Concept - 2003

The 220D internal effort which has borne the 2024 Lexus TX, should've been here sooner than later considering the MDX has been around almost 4 1/2 generations. Not to mention the Audi Q7.

2014 Lexus LF-C2 Concept

Allegedly RX L happened as it did, because 8 1/2 years ago Lexus dealers revolted at the sight of the RC Cabriolet (production version) at a dealer conference and Toyota initiated RX-L at the 11th hour of 2016 AL20 RX development in Dec 2014/early 2015 (1)(2)

I cannot find the link, but between either the Lexus Dealer Advisory Board, TMNA, Toyota HQ Aichi, they had possibly been developing again either a FWD or RWD crossover in 2013-14 which got suspended indefinitely and changed course to the RX L as a stop gap.

I don't believe Motor Trend on the RWD offering back then, because HPX/LFX was that vehicle earlier as maybe JX or TX and didn't come of course. I believe a FWD vehicle was in the cards maybe circa 2013, akin to TX today.

RX LWB mule - 2015

In the end, RX-L was quickly designed and developed as a proposal during 2015 (just as 4G RX debuted), of course not being ready until January 2018 for launch.

​​​​​​At about the time RX L came out towards early 2018, 220D planning on TNGA-K got underway for TX.

RWD GA-L LF-1 didn't come sadly, but in the end we've gotten this vehicle to give the next GX less of a burden to cover too many niches all at once and retire the joke that RX L was.

From what I hear, the 2024 TX 550h+ will be Lexus' first unibody crossover to reach the $80,000 MSRP price point in the USA.

Currently the 2023 RX 500h F Sport Performance reaches up to roughly $72-75k with every single thing possible included.

Just imagine how much a likely, turbocharged I4 PHEV version of that in the TX 550h+ would cost with everything ticked!
Old 05-11-23, 06:43 PM
Kennethtr
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its embarrassing especially considering what Genesis is doing with their lineup and they have probably 10% of Lexus budget.

4cyl engines with CVT don’t belong in large luxury brand 3 row SUVs.
Lexus completely wasted the V6 turbo powertrain in the LS500. It should have made its way to many more models as LS has been out for 5 years now…
keep in mind Genesis has to start off with separate platforms to be relevant, imagine they were just nicer Santa Fe and Sonotas how much roast they would get. Only if Lexus made a platform utilize for all its models Sedans and SUV together instead of sharing with Toyota models.
Old 05-12-23, 11:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennethtr
keep in mind Genesis has to start off with separate platforms to be relevant, imagine they were just nicer Santa Fe and Sonotas how much roast they would get. Only if Lexus made a platform utilize for all its models Sedans and SUV together instead of sharing with Toyota models.
Lexus has a dedicated RWD platform and powertrain that LS is on.
This can be easily used for a true RWD based performance luxury SUV to take on GV80, X5, GLE. They are just lazy because of the Japanese culture - they don’t listen to US executives at all.

The fact that IS500 got made is a miracle and it was completely done by Lexus USA.
Old 05-13-23, 03:55 PM
MP692
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New TX

If you'd like to see the new TX it's in the movie "The Mother" on Netflix. At the end of the movie Jennifer Lopez drives it up to drop off her daughter and then drives it away.

or is that the Infiniti qx60?

It's the Infiniti, but you can't deny the similarities when comparing just the rear pics. Thought it was too funny to pass up on commenting.

Last edited by MP692; 05-13-23 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus TX