Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automakers are starting to admit that drivers hate touch screens. Buttons are back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 01:25 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Most of my features can be touched but I rarely touch the screen. My screen is tilted so it's even closer than a normal screen. I hate touching the screen because it leaves marks behind. But more importantly it's not convenient/safe. When I really need to select something from the screen, I just use the big **** to move around and select. I don't mind having touch screen but some should be buttons.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Article offers zero data at all to back this up.
Write up is a giant excuse for auto makers that suck at software.
What is it about tesla software that is so great and/or better others? How much programming is it to display options on screens for users to touch?
Old 05-02-23, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I've been using this "Tesla fueled craze" for almost 4 years now and I still don't understand how it's a nuisance, hindrance, and grossly dangerous......​​​​​
well your model S at least has gauges in front of the driver.

back to the general discussion and car 'buttons' in general, steering wheel controls need to be factored in. i'm driving a rental mercedes right now, and it has loads of (frankly somewhat confusing) haptic and pushable controls on the steering wheel, almost no (maybe none) buttons in the center console, a big screen and labeled touch 'areas' you could never find without looking. it's a bit of a hot mess.
Old 05-02-23, 02:16 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 637 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Most of my features can be touched but I rarely touch the screen. My screen is tilted so it's even closer than a normal screen. I hate touching the screen because it leaves marks behind. But more importantly it's not convenient/safe. When I really need to select something from the screen, I just use the big **** to move around and select. I don't mind having touch screen but some should be buttons.

What is it about tesla software that is so great and/or better others? How much programming is it to display options on screens for users to touch?
The responsiveness of the screen & inputs is what's better. UI is fine, I feel like they've gone backwards the last 2 big UI updates, but on a day to day basis I only tap the screen to set the nav. If you're one that is always adjusting stuff (mirrors, steering wheel, audio, temp) having an all touchscreen set of controls would be annoying. But I get in my car and my profile loads, I keep my car at a steady 69F, my seat heaters come on automatically, and I never adjust the steering wheel or mirrors as I've got them set perfectly in my profile. I stream audio through bluetooth and most of the time it's an audiobook or podcast because I'm an old man now and try to get some learning done during my commutes. I've used a lot of rentals and I do like physical controls there because I don't have to learn a new system, but once you get used to the UI, it's fine and has decently sized touch points.
Old 05-02-23, 02:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Anyone who messes with the tablet while driving has not learned to use voice controls. They are amazing.
you must drive alone mostly. i do hate using voice commands when others are in the car. their talking tends to mess up commands, and telling them to be quiet isn't going to win friends.
Old 05-02-23, 02:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you must drive alone mostly. i do hate using voice commands when others are in the car. their talking tends to mess up commands, and telling them to be quiet isn't going to win friends.
Once you have all the presets in your profile, there is really not much need to touch the screen unless you need to use maps, or turn up or down the temp or the fan. In my Polestar I rarely have to touch the screen while driving unless I need to turn up the fan speed
Old 05-02-23, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Totally agree with this. People constantly say something in the middle of your voice command.
Old 05-02-23, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Actually, voice-communication/commands through the car's speakers are nothing new. 40 years ago, in the 1980s, Chrysler, in regular-production, built a number of their well-known "Talking Cars", where a synthesized computer voice verified things that were needed, or what systems were on or off. This system predated actual voice-commands some, but those were the next logical step.

I owned a 1983 Chrysler LeBaron, for just one year (it was a lemon, just like most of the FWD American cars of that period)....but it did not have this option. This video is from a Chrysler New Yorker of that era.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-23 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A car talking to you in a synthesized voice telling you preprogrammed things in response to data is completely different than you talking to a car and it recognizing what you said and executing a demand. Just because it involves "a voice" doesn't mean its the same thing.

The "talking car" is no different than any other audible warning or beep, they just programmed a voice instead of a beep. Instead of "ding ding ding" it says "please fasten your seatbelt"
Old 05-02-23, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A car talking to you in a synthesized voice telling you preprogrammed things in response to data is completely different than you talking to a car and it recognizing what you said and executing a demand. Just because it involves "a voice" doesn't mean its the same thing.

The "talking car" is no different than any other audible warning or beep, they just programmed a voice instead of a beep. Instead of "ding ding ding" it says "please fasten your seatbelt"

Agreed. That's why I said, in the post, that this was only the first step that eventually led to voice-commands.

FYI, the public, as a whole, was not overly-enthralled with Chrysler's Voice-Alert system. It only lasted a few years, and then was dropped. Today, of course, those messages are generally flashed on a dash-screen, usually in between the two primary gauges.

Old 05-03-23, 06:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 262 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The responsiveness of the screen & inputs is what's better. UI is fine, I feel like they've gone backwards the last 2 big UI updates, but on a day to day basis I only tap the screen to set the nav. If you're one that is always adjusting stuff (mirrors, steering wheel, audio, temp) having an all touchscreen set of controls would be annoying. But I get in my car and my profile loads, I keep my car at a steady 69F, my seat heaters come on automatically, and I never adjust the steering wheel or mirrors as I've got them set perfectly in my profile. I stream audio through bluetooth and most of the time it's an audiobook or podcast because I'm an old man now and try to get some learning done during my commutes. I've used a lot of rentals and I do like physical controls there because I don't have to learn a new system, but once you get used to the UI, it's fine and has decently sized touch points.
Very well said!👍👍

This was exactly my point when I made the sarcastic comment about this dangerous "Tesla fueled craze" that has so many people up in arms about the downfall of cars.

Once you set up your profile, you very rarely have to touch the screen.

Even the voice commands work extremely well with ambient noise (others talking in the car). Which car specifically are you referring to that isn't so great with ambient noise@bitkahuna ?
Old 05-03-23, 06:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. That's why I said, in the post, that this was only the first step that eventually led to voice-commands.

FYI, the public, as a whole, was not overly-enthralled with Chrysler's Voice-Alert system. It only lasted a few years, and then was dropped. Today, of course, those messages are generally flashed on a dash-screen, usually in between the two primary gauges.

LOL - playback of a recorded voice message is not a "logical step" in a computer being able hear, understand and process a voice command as an input.
Old 05-03-23, 07:43 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

IMO VCs are great for certain things, like searching for a new location or changing destination while driving or ... changing ambient light to match your mood or warm/cool your or passenger's butt Lol. Other than that I'd rather touch/click button or screen. Maybe because Tesla does not offer HUD and drivers are left with either VCs or touching the screen but a lot of things can be displayed and selected right in front of driver's eye on HUD which is much safer IMO.
Isn't that the brutal truth that we want to learn more when we're older? I'm not against touch screens and like you I have Profile and everything is the same/ready when it recognizes my fob. I don't touch unless really needed. I find myself touching my phone more on the go because I want to see... yahoo finance. Lol.
I've used a lot of rentals and I do like physical controls there because I don't have to learn a new system.
You brought up an excellent point. In recent past when looking for a rental, I noticed Model 3 was the cheapest to rent. I wondered why. To think of it, the excitement to try out a Tesla must have died out after people realized how inconvenient to get charged in a new town and at the same time have to learn a new system. I don't know how much they allow drivers to change in setting in a Tesla but most new luxury cars have settings that are way more detailed than they used to be. Page after page. I would really hate my car if I didn't have those 8 assignable buttons. I assigned them to common tasks/settings. As something as tech advanced as Tesla, do they have Favorite Panel? Or is it smart enough like the phone/PC to display most often/last used selected features?
Old 05-03-23, 08:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 262 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
IMO VCs are great for certain things, like searching for a new location or changing destination while driving or ... changing ambient light to match your mood or warm/cool your or passenger's butt Lol. Other than that I'd rather touch/click button or screen. Maybe because Tesla does not offer HUD and drivers are left with either VCs or touching the screen but a lot of things can be displayed and selected right in front of driver's eye on HUD which is much safer IMO.

Isn't that the brutal truth that we want to learn more when we're older? I'm not against touch screens and like you I have Profile and everything is the same/ready when it recognizes my fob. I don't touch unless really needed. I find myself touching my phone more on the go because I want to see... yahoo finance. Lol.

You brought up an excellent point. In recent past when looking for a rental, I noticed Model 3 was the cheapest to rent. I wondered why. To think of it, the excitement to try out a Tesla must have died out after people realized how inconvenient to get charged in a new town and at the same time have to learn a new system. I don't know how much they allow drivers to change in setting in a Tesla but most new luxury cars have settings that are way more detailed than they used to be. Page after page. I would really hate my car if I didn't have those 8 assignable buttons. I assigned them to common tasks/settings. As something as tech advanced as Tesla, do they have Favorite Panel? Or is it smart enough like the phone/PC to display most often/last used selected features?
Yes it does have a "favorites" panel
Old 05-03-23, 08:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 183 Posts

I’m gong to buck the Tesla trend here as usual and say I don’t like the touchscreen for everything. A lot of the commands need to touch the screen more than once vs just hitting a button. Sure it only takes a second longer but that’s one more second I’m looking down at the screen. Some of the UI is a mess also and some of the buttons on the screen are so small you have to consciously look at exactly where you are touching or you will fat finger it because the ride is often a little bumpy. I do find the software way above others due to the software updates alone. With all that said I like my BMW controls way better although the newer BMWs are worse IMO.
Old 05-03-23, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I much prefer no touchscreen and to interact with the screen with a wheel or controller.

Quick Reply: Automakers are starting to admit that drivers hate touch screens. Buttons are back!