Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automakers are starting to admit that drivers hate touch screens. Buttons are back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 01:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Exactly. Lots of people loved their Atari 2600s (we were a ColecoVision family....). But that doesn't mean people pine for the days of 8-bit graphics.....
Man, you're as old as me . I would dare to say I road my bike every day in the summer 7 miles to the comic book store (in the hot sun, mind you) in Hollywood for fun! We need to show the youngin's what real fun is! Atari 2600 and the latest issue of DareDevil or Marvell Team-up
Old 04-30-23, 02:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 948 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
For opening and closing power windows, Polestar uses the same switches on the door as other cars. Tesla is the same, here is from the Model Y's owners manual:

That looks ok to me.
Thank you for that.

Oh, and BTW, blackberry jokes do not offend me at all, I enjoy them so let 'em rip. lolol

Also, for anyone following along, both the touchscreen and buttons do the same exact thing. Only difference is the method of user input & output and why it doesn't impress all people. Touchscreens are not more technically advanced in any way more than stuff we had 20 years ago in the context of simply turning things on and off as it's primary goal- the user experience is all that's changed. Plus the added layers of abstraction, as we call it in the programming world, from a touch on a screen to the actual device intended to interact with. IMO of course.
Old 04-30-23, 02:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
That looks ok to me.
Thank you for that.

Oh, and BTW, blackberry jokes do not offend me at all, I enjoy them so let 'em rip. lolol

Also, for anyone following along, both the touchscreen and buttons do the same exact thing. Only difference is the method of user input & output and why it doesn't impress all people. Touchscreens are not more technically advanced in any way more than stuff we had 20 years ago in the context of simply turning things on and off as it's primary goal- the user experience is all that's changed. Plus the added layers of abstraction, as we call it in the programming world, from a touch on a screen to the actual device intended to interact with. IMO of course.
Putting the window controls in the touchscreen would be a step too far for even me...although I wouldn't be surprised if that happens one day (I certainly hope not )

The main reason they started to move more controls in the touchscreen is freeing up space, make things look simpler, and let's call a spade a spade...cost cutting. But like I said, I adapt quickly so it doesn't really bother me. Tesla has figured out how to transfer certain controls to the steering wheel buttons...for example side mirrors or steering wheel position. Select them in the screen and control them from the buttons on the steering wheel

Yeah, I'll spare you the Blackberry jokes, they are probably sound corny anyway
Old 04-30-23, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You have to at least give them credit for knowing their customers so well

Wrong. An outdated stereotype/cliche
Old 04-30-23, 04:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only because of the Enclave in my neck of the woods....

Last edited by tex2670; 05-01-23 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-30-23, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,655 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The average Buick buyer is over 60 years old, not wrong lol.
Old 04-30-23, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The average Buick buyer is over 60 years old, not wrong lol.
Do a little research. Buick has significantly lowered is average buying age. 10-15 years ago, it was around 70.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...-70-14927.html

Lincoln and Cadillac, BTW, also have older-than average customers....as does Mercedes, for that matter. But that doesn't mean that they all are a bunch of geezers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-23 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-30-23, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do a little research. Buick has significantly lowered is average being age. 10-15 years ago, it was around 70.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...-70-14927.html
That doesn't mean it isn't still over 60, so my research is valid. The only reason it has come down is the inexpensive little SUVs like you have.
Old 04-30-23, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That doesn't mean it isn't still over 60, so my research is valid. The only reason it has come down is the inexpensive little SUVs like you have.
That is not necessary a matter of age. A lot of people are buying them for the same reason I did....ease of manuvering/parking and versatility in the body style.

Which reminds me....I'm overdue for my two-year ownership-update (which has been mostly good, with a few minor annoyances). Got to get cracking on that pretty soon.
Old 04-30-23, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That is not necessary a matter of age. A lot of people are buying them for the same reason I did....ease of manuvering/parking and versatility in the body style.
That would be why people prefer crossovers, yes.
Old 04-30-23, 05:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Man, you're as old as me . I would dare to say I road my bike every day in the summer 7 miles to the comic book store (in the hot sun, mind you) in Hollywood for fun! We need to show the youngin's what real fun is! Atari 2600 and the latest issue of DareDevil or Marvell Team-up
I hear ya…..

Old 04-30-23, 05:55 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 477 Likes on 330 Posts

Teslas are different. They take some getting used to, especially the tablet interface. My late father, a Yale U grad, would struggle with a Tesla. My grand nieces took to the tablet like nothing.
Anyone who messes with the tablet while driving has not learned to use voice controls. They are amazing.

After driving the Model 3, I find our 2 Lexi interiors overly complicated. I have to take my eyes off the road to search for the right set of buttones. On the Tesla, it's, "My butt is cold." "Play Paul Butterfield." "Eject passenger seat."

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 04-30-23 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-30-23, 05:56 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 577 Likes on 360 Posts

I just bought another intellivision, I collect old video and arcade games.

Have a few arcade originals in garage - Donkey Kong, Tron, Defender, Stargate, Robotron originals plus a few multicades.

Donkey Kong and Defender both date from 1981.

Old 04-30-23, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While I generally prefer buttons myself, one thing, to remember, though, in this thread, is that buttons themselves can also get out of hand if overused, poorly-arranged, or poorly-executed. For proof, look no further than some of the nonsense we got from GM in the 1980s and 1990s...............The Olds Delta 88 and Buick Reatta were arguably the worst, but there were others as well.

In fact, that reminds me of an experience I had, back in the 1990s, at the D.C. Auto Show (don't remember exactly what year), in the Olds display, where I butted heads with one of the Olds reps. He asked me my opinion of the 88, and I told him that if Olds kept producing dashes like this, it wouldn't be very long before the division went out of buisness. The later Olds Aurora was only a slight improvement in button layout. He (in effect) told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, the rest is history..................they folded in 2004.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-23 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-30-23, 06:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I just bought another intellivision, I collect old video and arcade games.

Have a few arcade originals in garage - Donkey Kong, Tron, Defender, Stargate, Robotron originals plus a few multicades.

Donkey Kong and Defender both date from 1981.
I had the following home arcade systems growing up:

Pong
Atari 2600
Intellivision
Sega Genesis
Nintendo NES

After that I built my own gaming systems, but haven't done any gaming since 2010

Quick Reply: Automakers are starting to admit that drivers hate touch screens. Buttons are back!