Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

License-Plate-Readers Helping Police Solve Crimes and Find Missing Persons

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 09:43 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also have no problem with red light cameras... speed cameras are another matter
Speed and red light cameras are bogus because people run those for all sorts of reasons. And unless one actually caused some kind of destruction by breaking that law, it doesn't make sense to fine them for it. Its just not something that the gov needs to keep an eye on. There were speed cams installed in my area and they didn't work properly and caused alot more traffic problems than it meant to solve. People were very anxious everytime a light turned yellow and caused awkward breaking patterns. Thankfully they all got removed.

The license plate cam makes more sense because I'm all for using limited resources to go after serious crimes instead of petty crimes.

Last edited by xGS350x; 04-14-23 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-14-23, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I have a problem with red-light cameras. Not with the concept of what they're trying to accomplish, but with what they actually do. Study after study has shown a dramatic increase in accidents at intersections after redlight cameras are installed vs. before.
I had not heard that, I will do some research.

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Speed and red light cameras are bogus because people run those for all sorts of reasons. And unless one actually caused some kind of destruction by breaking that law, it doesn't make sense to fine them for it. Its just not something that the gov needs to keep an eye on. There were speed cams installed in my area and they didn't work properly and caused alot more traffic problems than it meant to solve. People were very anxious everytime a light turned yellow and caused awkward breaking patterns. Thankfully they all got removed.

The license plate cam makes more sense because I'm all for using limited resources to go after serious crimes instead of petty crimes.
Running red lights is not a petty crime, its a serious safety issue. I have been almost T-boned by people running red lights multiple times. There is no reasonable excuse for running a red light.

Speed cameras are a different story, for one most people driver according to the flow of traffic, and they are placed solely for the purpose of generating revenue.
Old 04-14-23, 10:19 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Running red lights is not a petty crime, its a serious safety issue. I have been almost T-boned by people running red lights multiple times. There is no reasonable excuse for running a red light.
Speed cameras are a different story, for one most people driver according to the flow of traffic, and they are placed solely for the purpose of generating revenue.
Running red lights can't all be lumped into the same box, just like speeding can't all be lumped into one. And really you can't stop red light runners. What's the point of giving them a ticket if they DIDN'T hit you unless it caused you to hit something or make an unsafe manuerver? It falls under wreckless driving, which is already policed. But if you're going to police red lights using camera technology, then you'll have to police every other thing that is considered wreckless driving.

Last edited by xGS350x; 04-14-23 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-14-23, 10:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

speed cameras are another matter
I was just in Bethesda a couple of weeks ago - it's maddening. I don't know how you can take driving there keeping at 30 mph everywhere!
Old 04-14-23, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Running red lights can't all be lumped into the same box, just like speeding can't all be lumped into one. And really you can't stop red light runners. What's the point of giving them a ticket if they DIDN'T hit you unless it caused you to hit something or make an unsafe manuerver? It falls under wreckless driving, which is already policed. But if you're going to police red lights using camera technology, then you'll have to police every other thing that is considered wreckless driving.
Sorry, thats absurd. Laws exist to keep people safe. There is no excuse for running a red light, and if issuing a ticket stops someone from running a red light perhaps it will keep them from running a red light and hitting a pedestrian or another car the next time. Thats the point.

You can excuse speeding if the driver is driving with the flow of traffic, which is actually safer than driving slower than traffic if the flow of traffic is above the speed limit. Speed limits are also routinely set too low.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I was just in Bethesda a couple of weeks ago - it's maddening. I don't know how you can take driving there keeping at 30 mph everywhere!
Bethesda has become a total nightmare for driving. I have two offices, one in Potomac and one in downtown Bethesda, and I try and avoid going into Bethesda if I can at all help it.

Luckily the speed cameras have a 10 MPH grace point.
Old 04-14-23, 03:34 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Sorry, thats absurd. Laws exist to keep people safe. There is no excuse for running a red light, and if issuing a ticket stops someone from running a red light perhaps it will keep them from running a red light and hitting a pedestrian or another car the next time. Thats the point.

You can excuse speeding if the driver is driving with the flow of traffic, which is actually safer than driving slower than traffic if the flow of traffic is above the speed limit. Speed limits are also routinely set too low.
Idk. Too many different factors to consider before implementation for speed and redlight cam. All I can say is I like plate readers for crimes like active warrants or grand thieft.
Old 04-14-23, 03:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Sorry, thats absurd. Laws exist to keep people safe.
This is rather simplistic. Some are, some are unreasonable. There are situations where the law is leveraged for revenue generation nothing more. For example speed traps, if it was about safety then put up a giant sign that says speed trap ahead so people slow down. After all we're trying to save lives.
Old 04-14-23, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Luckily the speed cameras have a 10 MPH grace point.
That's basically done for three reasons. First, to take into account the downhill effects of gravity on one's speed. Second, to adjust for factory-inaccurate speedometers....which are actually pretty uncommon these days with electronic sensors. Third, to adjust for the larger-than-stock wheel/tire combinations that so many enthusiasts like to put on their vehicles....they have a tendency to cause the speedometers to read even lower due to fewer wheel-rotations for any given speed.
Old 04-14-23, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is rather simplistic. Some are, some are unreasonable. There are situations where the law is leveraged for revenue generation nothing more. For example speed traps, if it was about safety then put up a giant sign that says speed trap ahead so people slow down. After all we're trying to save lives.

First, Steve is basically correct....most of the time, it is about safety, not revenue, although I'll admit that there are a few jurisdictions here and there (not many) where the system is corrupt and concerned only with revenue. Second, a lot of jurisdictions do have signs telling you that your speed is being monitored.

Old 04-14-23, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, you’re not going to convince me that the law that you have to stop for red lights exists for any other reason but to keep people safe.
Old 04-14-23, 05:24 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Sorry, you’re not going to convince me that the law that you have to stop for red lights exists for any other reason but to keep people safe.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it doesn't. People are arguing that there is a monetary motive behind choosing which laws to enforce and which not to.
Old 04-14-23, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think anyone is arguing that it doesn't. People are arguing that there is a monetary motive behind choosing which laws to enforce and which not to.

Respectfully, I don't quite see where enforcing red light or speeding laws is (primarily) revenue-generated. True, revenue is generated from tickets, but, after X number of points on your record from each ticket, you may get a license-suspension/revocation....and those who cannot drive obviously cannot generate any more revenue from tickets, unless they are jaywalking. I'll admit, though, that simple suspensions/revocation don't stop some people.....they continue to drive anyway, but risk actually getting locked up if they are caught.
Old 04-14-23, 07:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Red light and speed cameras here don't count as points against your license because there is no proof of who is driving. Are there locations that snoop and identify the driver as well? How is that accomplished facial recognition? Do they also identify passengers as you drive down the road?
Old 04-14-23, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Red light and speed cameras here don't count as points against your license because there is no proof of who is driving. Are there locations that snoop and identify the driver as well? How is that accomplished facial recognition? Do they also identify passengers as you drive down the road?

I agree the cameras don't count as points. I was referring to conventional tickets.
As far as identifying passengers or the driver, the tinted glass in a number of vehicles today definitely makes that more difficult. That's one reason why points are not assigned with cameras......it is too difficult to determine who was driving.
Old 04-14-23, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to thread-topic, it is not surprising that my county (Fairfax) is getting these plate-readers. The County's budget is enormous (it actually exceeds that of many entire states), although our real-estate taxes keep going up each year to pay for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-23 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: License-Plate-Readers Helping Police Solve Crimes and Find Missing Persons