Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Kingskii's 95 SC400 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-22, 04:16 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Whenever I see new build threads, I remember the good old days of the forums whether it is clublexus, supraforums or anywhere else where an owner documents everything he does on his/her car and people learn from it. Now a days, with social media , a lot of posts are like "hey / ho , here is a side view or rear view picture of my car , post or let me see yours ". You don't really learn much or get good insights just like the forums.

Keep it up !
The following users liked this post:
KingSkii (12-22-22)
Old 12-22-22, 04:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

@stheodore looks like an SC400 will be soon seen in your barn together with the other horses !
stheodore (12-26-22)
Old 12-22-22, 07:13 AM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Whenever I see new build threads, I remember the good old days of the forums whether it is clublexus, supraforums or anywhere else where an owner documents everything he does on his/her car and people learn from it. Now a days, with social media , a lot of posts are like "hey / ho , here is a side view or rear view picture of my car , post or let me see yours ". You don't really learn much or get good insights just like the forums.

Keep it up !
I completely agree, I miss the old days of reading through someones build thread and following along the journey of the DIY projects and repairs or obstacles one had to go through to achieve what they were trying to do. Im happy to see ppl still share.
stheodore (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 09:11 AM
stheodore
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
@stheodore looks like an SC400 will be soon seen in your barn together with the other horses !
When that day finally comes, I can definitely say that I'll be taking inspiration from folks like yourself @gerrb and this awesome SC being built by @KingSkii
KingSkii (12-31-22)
Old 01-08-23, 03:26 PM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Got more free time and a few small set backs due to missing parts and having to tweak things but thats how it goes sometimes. I'm learning haha

Okay so I realized I was missing/didn't order the flywheel bolts when I went to install. Had to wait on those to come in. For anyone install a Collins KA transmission adapter kit. You'll need to pick yourself up some ARP 203-2802 (Toyota 4AG 10mm flywheel bolt kit) and blue or orange lock tight. This is where I learn that the center bore of the flywheel was 41.8mm while the crank on the 1uz is 42mm in diameter. So had to lightly sand out the center of the flywheel till it slipped over and flat on the thick spacer. The ARP bolts had a torque spec of 70 and the pressure plate I saw was 30.

Next got the clutch and pressure plate installed and then turned my attention to notching the KA bell housing so the starter won't make contact. I referenced a few YT videos of a ls400 and a 240sx 1uz swap for a little guidance. Marked off what looked about right and went at it with a grinder. Once I felt enough material had been taken out I smoothed it up and went ahead and install the new throwout and added grease to the needed areas. Hoping to tackle the install of the trans sometime during the week. Heres a few pics I shot.

The following 2 users liked this post by KingSkii:
RudysSC (01-09-23), stheodore (01-09-23)
Old 01-20-23, 08:23 PM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Well the trans is finally in!! Got the slave bolted in and ran the clutch line. Which was a tight fit I might add and I have it bled. Next up was wiring, I got a supra clutch pedal switch and OEM plug and wired that to the NSS on the auto harness. Then I wired the KA trans reverse switch and ground to the harness. Need to clean up and tuck everything so its all safe and such. She starts up when the clutch is depressed as it should. No issues with the starter hitting the bell housing. Ive been checking things off the list after work and when I have free time. So next step is to start her up and pop her in gear and see what happens

Here some more pictures:

One man bleed show. Breaker bar for the win!

Boergy (02-16-23)
Old 01-23-23, 08:54 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,198 Likes on 830 Posts

Absolutely awesome - can't wait to hear about how it drives and to get your impressions on the swap.
Old 02-16-23, 07:00 AM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Been a minute, so update on the progress. Well got it together as pictured above everything was looking right. Started it up and tried to put it in 1st and nothing, couldn't get the transmission to shift. Car off, shifted like butter, on different story. Okay, went through the mechanical process in my head of what needs to happen in order for things to operate. adjusted the pedal, checked the slave to make sure it was fully extending the fork, bled the system like a made man. Nothing, so I did pulled the transmission off again and looked over everything and did some more research from other builds and YT university. Discovered where I went wrong at, I didn't tighten down the pressure plate enough. The Fins should be flat vs angel'd outward when bolted down, rookie mistake I know. But I'm learning as this is my first time doing anything to this extent.

So got it all tighten back down and put the trans back in which I might add was easy the third time around and was able to do it by myself. Did a little dance under the car when I heard the shaft thunk into the pilot bearing! Was all set and stated it up and got the same results, WTF. So did the bottle bleeder trick and bled the the hell out of the system and discovered the slave was getting air in it. I think from being over pressured the inner seal may have been punctured since the pressure plate wasn't on all the way. Got next day delivery of a new slave, swapped it and bleed the system again. The shear joy on my face when it shifted first try into 1st and all the other gears while running. Like I had just won the lottery, I tell you.

Don't have speedo which is a given for this swap, though I got the GPS Speedometer which I wired in but its not working. It has power and grounded as I checked with a probe. So what I thought was the VSS at the kick panel must not be it. I see ppl using it but no one has a good write up on how to setup and where to wire everything in at.

I went over everything and double checked my bolts, got the exhaust reinstalled so I didn't sound like NASCAR anymore, dropped her down off the jack stand and took my first drive around the neighborhood. She felt like a whole new car, night and day difference. First time I've driven a manual car since I lost my Speed3 back in 2018. Few things need adjustment, clutch engages at the top of the pedal, idle gets a little weird once taken out of gear, bogs a little and sounds cam'd. Currently I have the idle adjust up some to help mitigate that part. It didn't have any idle issues when changing gears on stand with the exhaust off. So I'm thinking the middle cat before the second Y to the mufflers is damaged/clogged cause I took notice of an exhaust leak at the joint. Planning on getting an exhaust done to it so il probably wait till then. Supra pedal doesn't seem to have much adjustment to it for the throw so il just have to get used to the new engagement point. But over all so far I'm loving it. Doing the Supra TT brakes is next and I have everything needed now but I'm just waiting and enjoying the car for the moment. Hers some pictures of it put back together. Unfortunately the shifter bezel I got off jzz30 doesn't work for the KA shifter position. So I'm making my own from the auto one.

stheodore (02-20-23)
Old 02-16-23, 09:53 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Car looks awesome man! Swaps like this can certainly be trying but you stuck with it and this car is going to be an absolute riot once it's all dialed in! Loving the Evo seats - one of these days I'll finally throw a set of seats in mine as my leather on my driver seat is finally cracking through.
Old 02-16-23, 11:24 AM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Car looks awesome man! Swaps like this can certainly be trying but you stuck with it and this car is going to be an absolute riot once it's all dialed in! Loving the Evo seats - one of these days I'll finally throw a set of seats in mine as my leather on my driver seat is finally cracking through.
I can say you won't be disappointed when you do. The feel is completely different then the stock seat, they keep you snug, more comfortable then stock and your seat position is lower in the vehicles which is great cause I'm 6' 3". It really brings the overall driving experience together. 10/10 was worth the wait for having to find them.
Old 02-16-23, 12:12 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I love to hear that. I'm only 5'10" but my head still touches the roof slightly with a ball cap on and I hate that feeling lol. This thing just looks awesome man! If I could turn back time I would have kept my mint white SC4 and gone a very similar route to what you've done.

PS - where did you get those awesome little mirror visors? I need them lol.
KingSkii (02-16-23)
Old 02-16-23, 01:17 PM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I love to hear that. I'm only 5'10" but my head still touches the roof slightly with a ball cap on and I hate that feeling lol. This thing just looks awesome man! If I could turn back time I would have kept my mint white SC4 and gone a very similar route to what you've done.

PS - where did you get those awesome little mirror visors? I need them lol.
Thanks man!! I appreciate it. Got a lot more planned to do down the road.

The little mirror visors are from a company called AerowolfUSA , I got the DYI ones since they don't have ones specific for the SC. you just use a heat gun and warm up the material and then bend to fit the mirror. They had a cool limited edition ghost pair for Halloween this passed October so I snagged a set and been patiently waiting for the right moment to install them.
Old 02-16-23, 01:34 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

They are so dorky and so cool at the same time! Think I have to pick a pair up lol. Keep on enjoying this thing I'm lovin it.
Old 02-16-23, 02:03 PM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Haha yeah, something different

The following 2 users liked this post by KingSkii:
RudysSC (02-17-23), Tallyhoe (02-18-23)
Old 02-18-23, 07:21 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Is that the lowest setting on those Flex Z coilovers?
I have an uninstalled set sitting in the garage.

Your build looks really good, you're giving me confidence to swap out the auto and go manual as well.

Quick Reply: Kingskii's 95 SC400 Journey