Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Vince's NA-T college fun build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 04:51 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
Ah I see. I might go to that later but since I'm still on 6psi it's not too bad plus I plan on redoing the IC piping soon so I'll be able to get a more clean set up in the turbo. Also the whole idea of getting oil in the IC piping and IC itself seems very iffy to me. There any other spots that maybe won't get oil in the IC and its piping?
the way you have it your getting oil into the intake closer to the valves and engine where its more likely to actually make it into the engine. Your way also doesnt help when your in boost because the check valve stops the flow to the crankcase... Basically in boost your pressurizing your crankcase instead of evacuating it of blowby. This can lead to seals blowing out for one and a number of other concerns.

Last edited by scsexy; 03-11-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 08:26 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
the way you have it your getting oil into the intake closer to the valves and engine where its more likely to actually make it into the engine. Your way also doesnt help when your in boost because the check valve stops the flow to the crankcase... Basically in boost your pressurizing your crankcase instead of evacuating it of blowby. This can lead to seals blowing out for one and a number of other concerns.
As you know the PCV is a spring loaded check valve that closes at 0 pressure let alone under boost. It's doing it's job well if it's stopping boost from entering the crankcase as a check valve should. We don't want any oil in the turbo or the intercooler piping so we decided with this set up. We also tried the set up where the valve cover just has 2 breathers coming off of them but that lead to a smokeshow. So far after daily driving the car with this setup there has been no smoke at all thankfully. If anything bad happens from this set up I'll be sure to update this thread, appreciate the input nonetheless.
Old 03-12-21, 11:34 AM
scsexy
Advanced

As you know the PCV is a spring loaded check valve that closes at 0 pressure let alone under boost. It's doing it's job well if it's stopping boost from entering the crankcase as a check valve should. We don't want any oil in the turbo or the intercooler piping so we decided with this set up. We also tried the set up where the valve cover just has 2 breathers coming off of them but that lead to a smokeshow. So far after daily driving the car with this setup there has been no smoke at all thankfully. If anything bad happens from this set up I'll be sure to update this thread, appreciate the input nonetheless.
Your not understanding how blow by works, The engine has alot of pressure in the cylinder during combustion. Some of those gases and vapors blow past the rings on the piston and end up pressurizing the crankcase where oil is lubricating piston walls and camshafts. The crankcase is basically the oil pan valve covers. I will say it again the way you have it right now will not allow air out of the crankcase under boost thus pressurizing it. It may be fine at 6 psi but when its 10 or 15 its going to start blowing crank and cam seals out or at least the silicone on your oil pan or valve covers causing leaks
Old 03-12-21, 01:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Based on the picture that setup would not pressurize the crank case as the gte style pcv looks like its at the top of that tee.
So when the pcv closes off under boost the crank case pressure can still go out that hose straight through the tee.
I don't think the PCV is very effective like that though, as it is pulling from both the can and the crank case when in vacuum (mostly the can).
That is why most setups you see just have the hoses going straight to a can, and then vented or back to the turbo intake pipe.
If your can is well baffled, you can minimize the oil going back through the system, but some engines push more oil than others so it really depends.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-12-21 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 01:10 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by scsexy
Your not understanding how blow by works, The engine has alot of pressure in the cylinder during combustion. Some of those gases and vapors blow past the rings on the piston and end up pressurizing the crankcase where oil is lubricating piston walls and camshafts. The crankcase is basically the oil pan valve covers. I will say it again the way you have it right now will not allow air out of the crankcase under boost thus pressurizing it. It may be fine at 6 psi but when its 10 or 15 its going to start blowing crank and cam seals out or at least the silicone on your oil pan or valve covers causing leaks

When in boost, the line that is red is not in use and is closed due to the PCV shutting. So with the PCV closed and the red line basically being irrelevant when in boost as it is closed, the two green lines are what are involved with the catch can system when in boost. So if the two green lines are what are connected to the catch can with a breather on it, how is this set up preventing air out of the crankcase? The only way the PCV is allowing air into the crankcase under boost is either it's upside down or it is broken, which it isn't.
Old 03-12-21, 01:17 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Based on the picture that setup would not pressurize the crank case as the gte style pcv looks like its at the top of that tee.
So when the pcv closes off under boost the crank case pressure can still go out that hose straight through the tee.
I don't think the PCV is very effective like that though, as it is pulling from both the can and the crank case when in vacuum (mostly the can).
That is why most setups you see just have the hoses going straight to a can, and then vented or back to the turbo intake pipe.
If your can is well baffled, you can minimize the oil going back through the system, but some engines push more oil than others so it really depends.
We were trying to do the best of both worlds sorta with this set up. When in boost the PCV is closed so it's just the two lines basically and nothing else, but at idle or when not in boost the PCV is open so it helps the engine breathe out the crankcase pressure. It also helps reduce smoke coming from the catch can. This is definitely something we will keep an eye on as we increase power but so far it's working pretty well! The can is a real street performance can so it is very well baffled and has a great breather on it thankfully
Old 03-12-21, 03:40 PM
scsexy
Advanced

We were trying to do the best of both worlds sorta with this set up. When in boost the PCV is closed so it's just the two lines basically and nothing else, but at idle or when not in boost the PCV is open so it helps the engine breathe out the crankcase pressure. It also helps reduce smoke coming from the catch can. This is definitely something we will keep an eye on as we increase power but so far it's working pretty well! The can is a real street performance can so it is very well baffled and has a great breather on it thankfully
As long as your catch can has a breather on it than that will work fine and not hold pressure in the crankcase. My catch can has no breather, figured yours was the same and it would just hold pressure.