Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Vince's NA-T college fun build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 03:04 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
Hello everyone! So, an update on the SC300. I currently just picked up a GTE ECU and MAF and I also bought an A340 trans! gonna try to mess around with these soon all advice is appreciated!
maybe look into one of the shift kits for that auto. May help it survive longer not slowly slipping into gears. They even have some transgo kits on rockauto cheap. Anf I've heard one of the solenoids on it is an anti squat circuit that limits power output so the car doesn't squat the rear under acceleration so maybe look into that
Old 01-22-19, 08:42 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Honestly don't worry about the transmission in my opinion just focus on getting ur turbo kit and 440cc injectors in. I recommend doing the coils instead of stock distributor i used IS300 coils and got 6 coils and the igniter for like 100 bucks. although like the transmission the distributor will probably be okay on like 5-10 psi.

I'm not sure why you got a MAF sensor you need MAP sensor for the TT ecu mod.

You'll get addicted to boost fast and i know its hard but save your money and do it right the first time. I blew up my transmission(w58) and rear end (TT auto lsd torsen) because i was going hard as **** on stock parts. I could have sold them both for like 2k and been up 2k instead of out money because of being impatient.

Basically save up for TT head gasket and head studs, Coils, Fuel pump, LSD(or weld it), Transmission(CD009 or r154 for manual or built auto)

You can get by on very low boost like less than 10 psi without those things but even then being hard on stock stuff ment for 225hp might break at 325+
Old 01-23-19, 06:12 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
Honestly don't worry about the transmission in my opinion just focus on getting ur turbo kit and 440cc injectors in. I recommend doing the coils instead of stock distributor i used IS300 coils and got 6 coils and the igniter for like 100 bucks. although like the transmission the distributor will probably be okay on like 5-10 psi.

I'm not sure why you got a MAF sensor you need MAP sensor for the TT ecu mod.

You'll get addicted to boost fast and i know its hard but save your money and do it right the first time. I blew up my transmission(w58) and rear end (TT auto lsd torsen) because i was going hard as **** on stock parts. I could have sold them both for like 2k and been up 2k instead of out money because of being impatient.

Basically save up for TT head gasket and head studs, Coils, Fuel pump, LSD(or weld it), Transmission(CD009 or r154 for manual or built auto)

You can get by on very low boost like less than 10 psi without those things but even then being hard on stock stuff ment for 225hp might break at 325+
+1 on the above

Also, look into adding a couple of transmission fluid coolers. That should help to keep it together.
Old 02-01-19, 02:22 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello again everyone! So I've been busy with school for a while but I'm back on the NA-T path. I have not bought anything else yet ( since I bought a MAF when I needed the MAP, dumb me) but I've been getting opinions on my path. I hear some say get a kit from XS power while others tell me to piece my own together. Not to mention reading the TT ECU mod thread scares me (Still wanna learn tho) I'm just filled with questions as I should be but my goal is to be NA-T before the end of spring break! I have a few grand in my account and got my pops to help me out along with some buds. I still have the ECU and trans.
I plan on keeping the stock distributor for some time until I wish to go higher.
I will be doing the GTE HG and ARP studs since no one runs the stock head gasket
I will be buying 440cc injectors

now for the questions
Would I be okay with the stock TT auto for some low numbers?
How difficult is the TT ECU mod with the stock distributor?

Any more advice is always welcomed!
~Side note~ seeing the notification that someone is replying to the thread always makes me happy so please do throw advice!

Last edited by vinyvin; 02-01-19 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added some more points
Old 02-03-19, 08:23 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Default Kit or no kit?

So I've been looking around and the XS power kit seems like a good pick for my numbers but people say I could save money by pieceing my own together and get more numbers? Whats the good path for things to go smoothly? Also my pops (who is in REMISSION!) Wants to keep the stock head gasket since we arent shooting for high numbers but I hear its better to just upgrade the gasket while Im doing the upgrade. Hope to hear from yall soon thanks!
Old 02-04-19, 05:05 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
So I've been looking around and the XS power kit seems like a good pick for my numbers but people say I could save money by pieceing my own together and get more numbers? Whats the good path for things to go smoothly? Also my pops (who is in REMISSION!) Wants to keep the stock head gasket since we arent shooting for high numbers but I hear its better to just upgrade the gasket while Im doing the upgrade. Hope to hear from yall soon thanks!

The head gasket is an involved job but well worth it!. You never know the condition of your stock one. Your going to spend a bunch of money boosting the engine in my opinion its best to do the preventative maintenance(HEADGASKET AND ARP STUDS) so your not worried about blowing up your engine. You will need a 13mm 12 pt deep socket with a thin wall for the ARP head studs

Your stock head gasket isn't as thick as the Supra TT head gasket. You will lower your combustion ratio a little upgrading the head gasket as well which is more boost friendly. In the end its up to you but a 200 dollar upgrade to double the engines strength in my opinion is a no brainer.

You can do everything in stages though too man. I personally had the tt ecu on the car before i did my headgasket and turbo installation just so i could fine tune what i thought would be the harder part.(the electrical)

I also replyed in the tt ecu mod thread for ya

Congrats for your dad! My mom just beat cancer last year so i know what your goin through

Last edited by scsexy; 02-04-19 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Supremeg56 (07-15-19)
Old 02-04-19, 07:40 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by scsexy
The head gasket is an involved job but well worth it!. You never know the condition of your stock one. Your going to spend a bunch of money boosting the engine in my opinion its best to do the preventative maintenance(HEADGASKET AND ARP STUDS) so your not worried about blowing up your engine. You will need a 13mm 12 pt deep socket with a thin wall for the ARP head studs

Your stock head gasket isn't as thick as the Supra TT head gasket. You will lower your combustion ratio a little upgrading the head gasket as well which is more boost friendly. In the end its up to you but a 200 dollar upgrade to double the engines strength in my opinion is a no brainer.

You can do everything in stages though too man. I personally had the tt ecu on the car before i did my headgasket and turbo installation just so i could fine tune what i thought would be the harder part
hey thanks for the reply! Yeah that was my plan but I hear to just do it all at once, you think its good to do ECU, then gasket, then turbo? My dad thinks we should just drive and when the head gasket goes out, we change it then. I understand where hes coming from but idk. My plan was to run low boost anyways, I wasnt gonna run high numbers unless i knew 100% all would be well. Watcha think? Also kit or no kit watcha think? And thank god cancer is beatable. Stuffs scary man
Old 02-04-19, 07:53 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cancer sucks man my son had it as a baby in his liver but after chemo and a couple of surgeries he had it beat before his first birthday.
As far as the head gasket goes if you've already got the ECU get that thing in there and get it running but since you're going to be pulling some stuff out of the way to do new injectors, turbo, manifold gaskets etc at some point you might as well go all the way into the head gasket when you have it there. Sometimes losing a head gasket causes more problems than it's worth to hold off on. Like if you managed to blow out into a water jacket and it sucks coolant into the cylinder. Do it right once and you wont have to do it twice
Old 02-04-19, 09:05 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Cancer sucks man my son had it as a baby in his liver but after chemo and a couple of surgeries he had it beat before his first birthday.
As far as the head gasket goes if you've already got the ECU get that thing in there and get it running but since you're going to be pulling some stuff out of the way to do new injectors, turbo, manifold gaskets etc at some point you might as well go all the way into the head gasket when you have it there. Sometimes losing a head gasket causes more problems than it's worth to hold off on. Like if you managed to blow out into a water jacket and it sucks coolant into the cylinder. Do it right once and you wont have to do it twice
yeah youre right. I'll just try and help my dad understand lol but in terms of the ECU, Im thinking of holding off till spring break just to avoid losing ny daily during school since the ECU mod looks like a big job. Watcha think? My plan was to have everything by spring break and knock it all out! And glad to hear your son beat that **** too! Unless I misunderstood in which case you can just curse me to the death. Im not good at understanding text :/
Old 02-05-19, 08:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you are running low boost at first you can keep the stock headgasket, just make sure to keep it under 12 psi or so.
If you overboost you could pop the gasket easily though and then it would need to be decked and a new gasket etc.. a little more work.
get an air fuel ratio gauge so you can make sure you are not going lean, running high compression and boost without knowing where your fuel is at can be a bad recipe.
Old 03-03-19, 12:35 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Default Update!

Hey all! Long time no see. Thats because I have been busy getting stuff together. Heres a new list of stuff I have coming in.
XS power turbo kit
XS power front mount intercooler kit
AEM v1 for the 2JZ GE (I have a local tuner who specializes in this ecu for this engine)

now for whats left
Walbro 240LPH in tank fuel pump
Bosch 550cc high impedance injectors
AEM fuel air ration gauge and boost gauge, wideband.

just a small update but all seens to be going well. The car will run on very low boost as i am going step by step in this build and it is my daily driver. I know there will be sometimes something will happen and it will have to be fixed. This car will teach me to have a ton of patience at least.

I welcome all questions and advice.
Old 03-05-19, 09:46 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Go for a bigger fuel pump... a 440 is only a few dollars more and will allow you to grow
Old 03-05-19, 04:24 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
Go for a bigger fuel pump... a 440 is only a few dollars more and will allow you to grow
I will prob upgrade down the line but I got this pump for the cheap and its good for my power numbers. Also changing a fuel pump is fairly plug and play no? This one came with a install kit.
Old 03-05-19, 07:05 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

I read your post as if you needed to purchase the fuel pump and other things below it, but it now seems as if you already have it. Cool.
Old 03-05-19, 08:48 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Hey guys got some questions. I plan on starting the build by the end of this week so I would appriciate any input asap.
Can I run stock injectors on AEM V1? I read that you cant but I have 550cc's coming in and I cant run them at low boost so I was thinking of running stock injectors until I can upgrade them.
Im hearing talk that the stock auto trans can go to 250hp. I dont plan on keeping it, hence why Im running low boost for some time to play it safe.

Im not going to be rushing things. Im taking baby steps so dont worry about me blowing my engine. I got a 3.64psi spring coming in (Its an odd one) and I will have a greddy boost controller.

Hope to hear from yall soon

Quick Reply: Vince's NA-T college fun build