Originally Posted by Maher331
Very nice progress good luck and keep us updated
Thanks, will do!
Old 02-07-19, 05:33 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Went outside to start the car on Tuesday and found this:

Some careless person sideswiped the car... Made me pretty upset, but what can you do? Car needs paint anyway, so it'll just get a bit more body work first...

Got the transmission today and verified that it is indeed a CD009.

Old 02-08-19, 06:19 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

Bummer. You seem like you've got a great mindset about that car. Can't control everything that happens to it, but you're certainly enjoying it. That's all that matters.
Old 02-08-19, 06:42 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Bummer. You seem like you've got a great mindset about that car. Can't control everything that happens to it, but you're certainly enjoying it. That's all that matters.
Thanks bro. You are right, I'm enjoying it. The car is honestly therapy for me and even though it is a bummer that someone was careless, at the end of the day its a thing that can be taken away at any time... I'm just glad I wasn't outside working on it when it happened you know?
Old 02-21-19, 07:19 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

In putting all the charge pipes back in place and the turbo blanket, I found that the throttle body charge pipe doesn't fit over the new turbo exhaust housing. My old turbo with the .58 housing had no problem, whereas this new .81 housing does... So I ordered a Treadstone manifold.

The current batch of manifolds that they have for the GE doesn't have the mounting holes lined up correctly, but they will still sell you one for $125 off the purchase price... I took the manifold and bought a 1/2" cobalt drill bit for $17 to do the job. Found that the bottom 4 bolts are fine, but the top 4 are the ones with the issue, so I focused my attention there. Drilled the top 4 holes out and got seven of the 8 holes lined up correctly. I need to massage the last hole.

Once this is done, I'll swap the turbo over. Also picked up a downpipe from a guy who had a Treadstone but was upgrading his setup with a GTE and bigger turbo. Only thing I need to do is to add another O2 bung to it. Once this is all done I'll add a high-flow catalytic converter and ETS boost actuated cutouts to the mid-pipe.

Here's an image of me test fitting the cast manifold to one of my extra heads:
There are 7 studs in place in this picture.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 02-22-19 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 08:25 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Great to know. I'm slowly accumulating parts and plan on buying a treadstone to make it all work.
Old 02-22-19, 08:28 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Great to know. I'm slowly accumulating parts and plan on buying a treadstone to make it all work.
hopefully by the time you purchase your manifold, the next “unblemished” batch will have shown up and you won’t have to spend an hour drilling out all your holes.

I’m not complaining since I got the manifold for $317 plus a bit of time.
Old 02-22-19, 01:02 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Good to know! I've got a buddy with a MAP account and his price is the same. Waiting to see what they say about which batch it is lol.
Old 03-31-19, 04:48 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Bought a cheap die grinder and got to work on porting the manifold. The only port that actually needed to be ported was the T4 hole:

The exhaust ports were spot on with the gaskets:

Installation progress pics:

Now I'm waiting on an adapter for the 38mm 2 hole wastegate to 44mm vband type wastegate. Once I get that, I'll install my Tial MVR and the vacuum lines.

I also took the time to redo all the turbo vacuum lines with black lines instead of the old "clear" ones.

With the gate situated at the top of the manifold now, I'll have to figure out how I want to handle the dump, hood exit, or into the downpipe?
Old 04-01-19, 05:56 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Looks nice and tidy, killer work! I say dump that thing straight down to the ground. You still get all the great open dump noises without driving yourself crazy with it out of the hood. Plus then you don't have to worry about covering it for car washes and heavy rain.
Old 04-01-19, 02:46 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Looks nice and tidy, killer work! I say dump that thing straight down to the ground. You still get all the great open dump noises without driving yourself crazy with it out of the hood. Plus then you don't have to worry about covering it for car washes and heavy rain.
Very true! A dump straight to the ground makes it much easier also
Old 04-02-19, 08:01 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I only know from several friends who have regretted running it out of the hood. Granted, if you do get some water in there all it takes is a little WOT pull and you'll clear it right out
Old 04-04-19, 05:43 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

So I took your advice and installed the dump tube straight down toward the ground. Was careful not to get it in the way of the down pipe. Will put that on tomorrow BTW.

That 2 bolt 38mm to 44mm flange is an awesome piece, exactly what I needed to get this done because I decided to use the studs. It is shaped like a funnel so that there is a smooth transition from 38-44mm. It is also SS, so it will match the manifold when it starts to heat and cool

It is sold by Wyntonmspeed on eBay. I'd used them before for my BOV, which is also a really nice piece.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 04-04-19 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 08:26 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Looks great in there man. I can't wait to hear how it runs!
Old 04-09-19, 06:44 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Took some time on Sunday to install the downpipe and ECS boost actuated cutout. This is not the final placement since the valve sits way too low. I'll have to move it back into the next section of the mid pipe.

Quick Reply: Marcus' '92 Build