LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

One un-lucky guy's 2nd LS build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 09:43 PM
cbrkat28
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One un-lucky guy's 2nd LS build

This begins the saga of my '03 LS430 UL and my hope in restoring it to the car I first drove legally with my learners permit.

When I first got the car, the only known issues were with the driver's side mirror, a taillamp failure message in the dash, and the driver's side door pocket not staying retracted (probably from it being extended and full of my dads stuff for 15 years)...but then the list started growing.

Last edited by RA40; 09-22-19 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Restarting the thread.
Old 11-07-18, 10:06 PM
cbrkat28
Rookie

Default 2 hours later...

I found out all the mid speakers and sub were blown thanks to the shoddy install of an aftermarket hands-free system, 3/4 door lock motors were burnt out, the headlight leveling system wasn't functioning properly, telescoping motor wasn't functioning, hazard lights didn't work, alternator and water pump were failing, and the driver's side door pocket wouldn't stay retracted; it just slowly sags out...still.
Old 11-07-18, 10:32 PM
cbrkat28
Rookie

Fast forward 4 months: after some "mechanics" that my father has known since before I could legally drive destroyed quite literally everything they touched, I've just started driving the car again a couple weeks ago after having taken it to my mechanic (which I would've done from the beginning but he was going through personal stuff) and he speculates that by the silicone on the heads appearing to be original, the motor was replaced instead of repaired...apparently they did that much damage to that...but then later on when I tried folding the side mirrors in, the driver's side wouldn't move and then I discovered those idiots put a woodscrew through the housing because, well, that's their idea of a solution.

In between then and now, I've replaced all of the burnt out door lock motors (mine has ez-close doors so it was somewhat simple) all the tail light bulbs causing that message to appear, along with a wheel speed sensor and recently I lucked out finding the entire left side mirror assembly, already in black), with all the features mine had on eBay and it should arrive later this month, hopefully I'll be able to source a set of replacement mid's for the front and while those door panels are off, cross that off the list along with replacing the final door lock motor on the front passenger side as I'm greasing the window track and replacing that speaker as well.

Bad news is back in May someone backed into my front left corner, which will require a significant amount of repairs, and recently I discovered that one of the cat's has gone bad. Add to that list replacing practically every bushing on the front and rear suspension, potentially an air solenoid or two, and all 4 rims because they are leaking air.

Once the suspension and rims are replaced, I'll move onto replacing the rear mid speakers and subwoofer, fixing the telescoping motor, new window tint all around, the rear left door seal, and at least fixing the left headlight washer nozzle cap since that was knocked off during the hit and run and having that hole there just looks ugly as hell.

Next phase will be to have that damage to the front bumper repaired, and the entire car repainted since there are more than just scratches and dents, there are chips as well and I don't want any rust to set in. While that's happening I'll have the malfunctioning parking sensor replaced, along with all the chrome trim that has faded over the years. that takes care of the outside, leaving only a few things remaining: replacing the broken cruise control sensor, adding bluetooth connectivity, replacing the bottom of the driver's seat, and if anyone reads this please for the love of all things holy please post a link or tell me what needs to be done to make that door pocket function normally again; sounds like a small thing but it's extremely annoying.

Also, I thought about doing some minor upgrades to the brakes as I doubt the OEM versions were intended to meet the braking demands of the traffic I deal with...not looking for a shorter distance as much as resistance to warping and fade.
The following users liked this post:
LexRex (04-23-19)
Old 01-09-19, 04:59 PM
ECB
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How goes the saga?

Any luck with the door pocket?
Old 01-09-19, 08:24 PM
cbrkat28
Rookie

Sadly no, I did manage to find a 2nd hand driver's side mirror in the same color with all the features, and it functions perfectly, which is like finding the right needle in a stack of needles...but now it's leaking fuel; heavily leaning toward a dried up o-ring on an injector(s)...If I can keep finding the right parts to fix mine up I'll keep it going, otherwise I'm just gonna keep watch for an 04-06 UL.

Any ideas on what the culprit is?