Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 02:07 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy

Hello All,
I posted in the introduction page, wanted to start a build thread as well.
Almost 2 years ago now, I happen upon ownership of sort of a 1993 Lexus SC400.
Reason I say ownership of sorts, is the original plan for this vehicle was to be used in a 24 Lemons race, as myself along with a few friends acquired this vehicle for $500. But plans fizzled and people backed out, some wanted to junk it, but being the Toyota enthusiast I am, and even though this car has a salvage title I just could not let that happen. So I bought them out and bought it to my house 6 months after purchase.

1st Day Home into the garage

I was going to upload a ton of picture here but I was limited so I will do what I can.

Problems with the car when I acquired it. It overheated, it leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez, leaked fuel, would not shift out of gear without using the shift lock release, running sort of on all 8 cylinders, and just overall neglected...

As far as the direction of the build, I'm not really sure. Would just like to drive it and get it past Delaware DMV and go from there.

I like the off-road world, and it is something I am familiar with. Looking at builds like TyStephens and jrally, that seem like a direction I'd like to consider.

Something's on the short list.
Fix all leaks
LS400 brake upgrade
Remove Tint (purple and peeling)
Install a radio.
Turn lamps into for lights
Figure out options for LSD rear

Cheers,
Avi

Last edited by Yotafun; 03-18-18 at 08:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tsmith1315 (04-07-18)
Old 03-18-18, 03:15 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks like you have your hands full there buddy, good luck with the build.
Old 03-18-18, 03:17 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Looks like you have your hands full there buddy, good luck with the build.
Yes, I sure due, but being a die hard Toyota/Lexus guy, I hate to see something go to the junkyard when I know I can get it back on the road lol.

My 3rd gen 4Runner in the picture just blew through its head gaskets so I have a full plate! lol
Old 03-18-18, 04:41 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

When I mean Exxon Valdez, I am not exaggerating too much....

Exxon Valdez Much?

I still started up top with tackling leaks:

There is a V8 in there!

mmm 1UZ goodness

V8 POWER!!!

I started to remove the timing belt because I wanted to do that for piece of mind and found all sorts of fun. The crank seal was toast, so I replaced that.
Then I found that who ever did the water pump before thought clear silicone was the right choice on top of the original gasket...
So I removed all that and used good ol' Toyota FIPG and sealed her up tight.

Old Belt and Leaking Water Pump

New Belt!

Next was to address the valve cover gaskets that were shot...
I was already planning to do a tune up with all Denso Parts (previous own put autolite in and did not seat two of the spark plug wires correctly....)

Spark plug wire from Hell

There was more then one...

Not bad for 217K miles

Clean cover with new gaskets

All back together, Top end is done with a new Serpentine belt as well. Almost ready to fire up at this point.
At this point I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator to get that situated and stop the fuel leak.

Working my way down I came across the next leak:

Useless Sensor....

T
he oil level sensor had be removed and more clear silicone over the stock hard as a rock o-ring was there, mind you the majority of the sensor was broken in the bottom of the oil pan...
So I unscrewed the rest of the sensor, cleaned it all up, reinstalled with Toyota FIPG and used a jumper in the connector to leave the light off.

After that I don't have pictures but the last leaks to tackle were the oil and transmission pan.
The oil pan I was told was cracked, but it wasn't, it just needed a good reseal not a botch. The trans pan was the best, not only was the original gasket still installed, but there was orange silicone on top of it as well...

After all was said and done, I still had a leak...

Last edited by Yotafun; 03-18-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 04:50 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

So I started filling up the coolant system the correct way, which was the cause of the overheating because the previous owner did a thermostat and didn't fill the system correctly (it was bone dry...), and found this:

Original 1993 Brass

mmm corrosion

So I hopped on RockAuto and got a radiator...
New Aluminum Hotness...

Denso???

Last edited by Yotafun; 03-18-18 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 04:53 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

After that I was able to fire it up and move it out, put a used set of 17" wheels and a set of tires I had left over from the Camry why I put new tires on it:

Current State

The Projects Getting Some Air

I took it for a test drive and no more leaks, no more overheating but found more issues.

One issue was the exhaust was held up by coat hangers and banging everywhere, I went ahead and drilled holes in the rear tow anchor points and ran a bolt through the rubber isolator since the factory one were rusted away.

Next issue was I have no brake lights and I had already installed a new brake light switch to try to fix the not coming out of park issue.

And last and biggest issue, my lower control arm bushings are shot.... And I didn't realize how expensive new arms are, I don't get why Dorman or any company hasn't made aftermarket ones that aren't super fancy.

Last edited by Yotafun; 03-18-18 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 05:18 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

​So with the brake lights not working and the park switch not releasing I did some digging and found the brake fuse melted and almost took out the fuse block....
I think I found the problem...

Torn apart

Burnt...

Going to make something happen

Boom Done!

Lights!

The cause of the issue was the botch wiring done by the 'sound system' that the previous owner took out, So now the brake lights sort of work (just found recently the sockets for the right side are pretty corroded, I just got the the bulbs out but have to clean the sockets).

Now just to figure out why my power locks aren't working (I saw a thread that it could be the connectors in the door which at this point I would not be surprised, honestly so far I have been going back and fixing up someones botch work, This car was a great car and someone went a ruined it with there lack of knowledge....

Last edited by Yotafun; 03-18-18 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 06:54 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Looks like you have your hands full! However, for such a cheap price, you'll be stoked on getting this thing sorted. 1UZ's make for such a great cruiser/weekend warrior. Check out some of the recent threads with gentlemen lifting them on big tires - sounds like it'll be right up your alley. Good luck sir!
Old 03-19-18, 07:12 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Looks like you have your hands full! However, for such a cheap price, you'll be stoked on getting this thing sorted. 1UZ's make for such a great cruiser/weekend warrior. Check out some of the recent threads with gentlemen lifting them on big tires - sounds like it'll be right up your alley. Good luck sir!
Thank you! I look forward to driving it around for a bit, I have never owned anything with more than 6 cylinders lol.
Looking through everyone's build threads I don't know what I want to do now, I would love to restore it, but this one has a salvage title and would take way more money then its worth I think. Maybe like with my 4Runners I will buy a second one eventually lol.
Old 03-19-18, 08:25 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yotafun
Thank you! I look forward to driving it around for a bit, I have never owned anything with more than 6 cylinders lol.
Looking through everyone's build threads I don't know what I want to do now, I would love to restore it, but this one has a salvage title and would take way more money then its worth I think. Maybe like with my 4Runners I will buy a second one eventually lol.
I'd just drive that baby and enjoy it for exactly what it is! You'll spend a fortune restoring it and won't get it back anytime soon.
Old 03-19-18, 09:04 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I'd just drive that baby and enjoy it for exactly what it is! You'll spend a fortune restoring it and won't get it back anytime soon.
That is probably going to be the plan, these car are awesome though, finding them super easy to work on and pretty easy to understand. I wish Toyota would have put the 1UZ in my 4Runner from factory!
Old 03-19-18, 10:12 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Couldn't agree more - you'd hate to see how easy the JZ is to work on in comparison. I wish my Taco had the 1uz option as well!!
Old 03-31-18, 07:34 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

No pictures of it, but recently fixed the harness in the passenger side tail lamp, each socket was rusted solid and some of the bulbs were blown, I finally got them out and let the harness soak in CLR. It was enough to clean up the sockets, I have lights now to get me past DMV until I decided what I want to do in the future for lights.

Next on the list to get ready to pass DMV is an exhaust leak (picture has spoiler...):

Leak Past Flange

The previous mechanic did this...

Welded Flange Passenger

Welded Flange Driver

This car has been nothing but fixing someone else's really bad screw up, I should have started a youtube channel of 'How not to fix something'

Some other things I am getting parts for are the lower control arm bushings (both rear cam bolts are seized so they are on order) and I noticed this the other night but the cluster needles have been painted over with black light paint, I removed the mini black lights that they had installed because I thought they put them in because all the cluster back lights were out, well now I know the real reason....
Old 04-02-18, 06:44 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Damn, you've got your work cut out for you! Unfortunately that seems to be the name of the game with cars 20+ years old. I scored mine so cheap because the previous owner has cracked the oil pump and steering rack trying to jack it up to install cheap-o coilovers.
Yotafun (04-06-18)
Old 04-04-18, 07:02 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yotafun, good luck on the exhaust man. I just went through this with my land cruiser (well, not quite as bad as yours, but very rusty). I literally replaced 100% of it.

I just got back into an SC (98 SC400) and am fixing a lot of stuff. it sucks.

but isn't it a good feeling re-doing it and seeing how nice and "properly done" it is?
Yotafun (04-06-18)

Quick Reply: Yotafun's 1993 SC400 a.k.a Project Fluffy