Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The BrokeEF SC400 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 01:43 PM
ciraleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goodness! That's impressive AF! Looks fantastic man. Can't wait to see more.
Old 03-26-19, 01:16 PM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Time to bump this up for no real reason

Pics from a couple weeks ago

Before anyone freaks out, I did not get rid of it, just moved it. I will have an update soon with whats going on. In the meantime it has been killing me to not work on it at all.

Sean
Old 03-27-19, 05:57 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

It's exciting to see that bad boy out in the day light!
Old 03-28-19, 04:56 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RudysSC
It's exciting to see that bad boy out in the day light!
Would be even better if it was under its own power!

Sean
Old 06-05-19, 11:20 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Alright guys (and gals?) it is FINALLY time for an update. This will be long, and have very little to do with the car so be warned.

Back in February our house was broken into and burglarized. That really kicked off a whole series of events that are just now wrapping up. The thieves came in though the back door (ripped it from the hinges) and then went to town. They got all of my guns, and most of my gun stuff (damn near all my ammo), all of my Wife's jewelry, all of my camera gear, our new laptops, cash, and so on. Our dog looked like he may have been hit in the process, but was luckily still there when we got home. He was very freaked out, but after a while he seems to be back to normal.

We had been talking about moving in the next few years, and that really was the nail in the coffin. So we met with our realtors and came up with what we could sell for, and what we were looking for. After looking at a bunch of places we found the one we liked the most and put in an offer. To be honest I didn't think they would go for it since we were contingent on selling our house which wasn't even listed yet. Turns out they did, which was awesome and also extremely stressful!

Without getting into ALL the boring details we ended up being really rushed to get the house listed for sale. We had to put it up before the door was even replaced, and showed it with that all boarded up Apparently it didn't matter as the very first person who walked in offered us full asking price! We also had another offer that was kind of low, but no bother we went with the solid looking full price guy!

Everything looked good, we scheduled everything for moving, shutting off utilities, etc. They had an inspection and found a couple minor things that we had fixed (they specified a professional). If I remember right they pushed the closing, and then 5 days before the new date they were unable to secure funding. No worries (kind of), they had a family member who was going to jump in and buy it with all the same terms. We did get them to pay to extend the POD for another month, so not a total loss.

Buyer two, also looked great on paper as far as we could tell. They were using the same lender, which was a reputable company. As we got a little closer there were some things popping up that were needed. Lots of documents they needed to supply, had to add in a co-signer, etc. Again, as far as we can get from anyone on their side everything is looking good just needed that one last document. They also pushed the closing, maybe twice I cant remember.

Now it is the day before the closing, a month or so after our original closing date. The pod was packed, picked up, and sitting at the new place (that we dont own), the movers left that morning with all of our stuff. We went to our lawyer and signed the closing docs and were going back to clean the house and get the last stuff in a van I borrowed from work. We were just wrapping up at the house, probably around 5 or 6 at night when we get a call from our realtor that it all fell apart.

Again, long story short our realtor was working his *** off trying to find any solution he could for us. Our mortgage person looked at the loan and said there was NO WAY this person would have every been approved. Same went for the first person. More or less the person working the loan was 100% full of ****, and/or totally incompetent and ****ed it all up. In the end (around 1am) it was agreed that we could rent the new house until we were able to sell ours.

It took some back and forth but late the next day we were in the new place as renters and our house was back on the market with the clock ticking. When it was first being shown we had 10+ showings scheduled EACH DAY for the entire week within a couple hours. This time we had 1. Then a few days later 1. They were trying everything they could to get people through the doors, but with ****ty weather and holidays it was not going well. We had 30 days to get under contract, and it was week 2 already. FINALLY we had someone come though and again offer full asking! Actually I think they were a little under and we went back at full asking which they went for.

There was some drama about the driveway, which honestly needed to be replaced. Our plan was to replace it this spring actually. Anyway we got that taken care of, but it was deja vu all over again! They pushed the closing on us, and were having a hard time getting clear to close. Meantime we are in the new house with only the bare minimum unpacked. TV is on the floor, we have 2 plates, 2 glasses. It was like college, which I never went to! We were paying to have the grass cut since I need a way bigger mower for the new place. Basically we were bleeding money and stressed to the MAX.

They got clear to close at 3:30 on Friday afternoon with the closing scheduled for Monday morning. Technically they cant do that, but **** it lets get this done! Monday comes around and they did the final walk though and say the AC doesn't work (it was already inspected and worked). I was like **** that, Ill go fix it! I went down there and adjusted the low limit low enough for it to actually try and turn on, and it did. Disaster averted there. Now we are coming up on the time for the buy closing and I haven't heard anything. We get to our buy and start signing things, and THEN hear from the realtor he was done and on his way (with the check). The sell closing too over 3 hours!!! Our's went pretty smooth except a typo and then also being sticklers about the amount we were bringing to close. That made no sense because the number was off by less than $500 and we were getting money back from the deal. They wanted it run through underwriting again anyway, so we just shot the **** for a while and then it was done!!!

So now I can show you why I haven't touched my car for months!

Some pics of the garage from the inspection

The garage is about 31' wide, and 21' deep with 11' ceilings. Already has OK lighting (for now) and a gas heater out there.

The house is ~2300 square feet 3 bedroom 2.5 bath with a full basement that is unfinished and already roughed for a bathroom. It sits on about 1.5 acres with enough room for a shop As I said we have already been living there for a little over a month and absolutely LOVE it! It is so relaxing out there. It is really like being on vacation, except we live there!!!

We have plans for the entire house top to bottom, inside and out. You guys care the most about the garage of course! Plans out there are basic, sub panel with more electrical for everything, new lighting, 4 post lift (fits the space better than a 2 post) and some storage like shelves etc. I am planning on building a dedicated shop, but that wont be for a little while.

Well that has been my life the last 4 months or so. I am going to try and get the SC back this weekend but probably wont start working on it for a bit. I did order some parts for it yesterday so I can keep going once I get some things done.

Sean
Old 06-06-19, 05:56 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Beautiful house and what a killer garage! Congratulations sir. Once you get settled in we can't wait for some updates.
Old 06-06-19, 06:30 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Beautiful house and what a killer garage! Congratulations sir. Once you get settled in we can't wait for some updates.
Thanks! The garage is pretty decent, but will be better after I make some changes.

Speaking of updates, these guys showed up yesterday!

I also got a set of the valve covers with -10 fittings from Motion Raceworks, but didn't unwrap them for pics. I am trying to get the car out to the new house this weekend but not sure if it will happen. I have no 220 in the garage though so I am limited regardless. I will be back to work on it soon though!

Sean

The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (06-06-19)
Old 06-07-19, 08:31 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

aw man i was excited for procharger 1uz
Old 07-01-19, 11:26 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Time for another small update. This came the other day

Ignore the mess

This was as far as I got yesterday

The instructions are almost 100% useless, so I ended up having to redo a bunch of stuff as I figured it out. It was a mother****er doing it by myself, I suggest having at least one or two people to give you a hand. The wife ended up helping me get the ramps put on and flipped over (they were both upside down). Lucky for me I had two jacks to lift the "power" ramp since that was a good chunk of the 1,740 shipping weight. It was in the garage facing the wrong way, and upside down.

Depending on how things go today I want to get it finished up. I just need to route the cables, install the pump and lines, and the safety release. I do also have to run and get oil for it since I thought it came with it for whatever reason. Once its all set up and working I am having the SC brought back so I can get to work on it!! Chances are that will happen this Friday, but maybe Wednesday if I can get everything done.

That's all for now, thanks for following along!

Sean
TitanG545 (07-19-20)
Old 07-01-19, 01:16 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

haha you dog!! Looks like a huge PITA, however, that is so badass to have in your garage. Great score.
Old 07-02-19, 05:09 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

haha you dog!! Looks like a huge PITA, however, that is so badass to have in your garage. Great score.
Its not even all that hard, just annoying that the instructions are totally useless. It would be very helpful to know the orientation of some parts, and more important the proper order of operations. For example they tell you to put on the caps (not what orientation which is VERY important) and then the lock ladders, and then put the crossbars in. Well for one the lock ladders have to come into the tops of the crossbars, they cant go the other way. Worse than that the caps cover the entire top of the column so you cant put the crossbars in without removing them. That still leaves alone which way should the bars face, and that the caps need to line up with the bars a certain way for the cables to anchor to them. Two pictures, or some description would have straightened that all out and saved me a bunch of time.

Oh well, it will be well worth it when its done! Cant wait to have a lift in my own garage!!!
Old 07-02-19, 06:26 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

man a lift would be so epic, but the ceiling in my garage is low asf (old house). can't wait to see you finish the SC, been following this build from the beginning keep it up man.
Old 07-08-19, 06:31 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Another day, another kind of boring update for you guys. I ended up getting the lift all finished up and ready to go Thursday night. I thought it was nice that everyone was blowing off fireworks in celebration to me having a working lift After I got it all ironed out (it was really working Wednesday) I moved it over to the third bay. We still have a ton of crap in the garage as seen in previous pics, so that sucked. Once I had it over there I just had to put something on it!

Friday morning I got up nice and early, got the Accord off the lift and out of the way, hopped on the motorcycle and headed to my buddies house to meet the tow truck. Does this count as a barn find yet?

It was technically a stable I guess, but I also don't think its ever actually had horses in it. ANYWAY, the tow truck showed up and we got it outside so I could really see how neglected it is.

Got her all loaded up

And away we went! Since I was on the bike, no pics of it in transit, but you could imagine it looks exactly like that last pic with a different background

Made it back to my house and got it unloaded right onto the lift. Again no pics of the process since I was helping out, but it was pretty uneventful.

I really need to adjust the lift now that its where it is likely going to stay. I started to adjust the lift and the locks where I had assembled it, but now its spun around and in a totally different area so its pretty far off. I also very clearly need to do something about the opener and the door. I have a buddy who quoted me raising the tracks and installing a jack shaft opener. In the meantime I may just remove the opener over there, or just disable it so I can lift higher. Where its at now (more or less where it is in the pic) is as high as it can go with being able to open and close the door.

That is really all I got for the car. I was very busy all weekend working on stuff around the house and didn't even get a chance to re-organize the garage. I am not 100% sure when I am going to start back up on the car, but hopefully soon. I really want to get it done ASAP for many many reasons. One of the biggest is it would be nice to be able to use my lift to work on any of my cars Kind of a pain in the *** to move the SC on and off when it does't run.
Old 07-08-19, 06:34 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oldManTan
man a lift would be so epic, but the ceiling in my garage is low asf (old house). can't wait to see you finish the SC, been following this build from the beginning keep it up man.
I am so excited to have a lift. I have never been in a place where one made any sense at all. I also cant wait to get the car done. Still has a long way to go, but hopefully I can start chipping away at it again now that things have settled down some.

Sean
Old 08-19-19, 11:49 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Time for another small update! I have gathered a few more parts, and also decided to make some changes. First up lets bring you guys up to speed on whats been happening. A few weeks back I rolled it out of the garage so I could do an oil change on my daily driver. While it was outside I figured I may as well clean off some of the dust

Also while it was outside I got rid of the garage door opener on that bay so I can raise the car up higher.

In case anyone was wondering, it was a pain in the *** to get it back on the lift! Just another reason I need an ATV

Anyway I have been trying to think through what parts I need, and what are some of the next steps on the car. I may not be working on it, but my brain never stops. I happened to find some Siemens Dekka 80lb injectors, so I jumped on them real quick.

So then I was thinking about the fuel system. That reminded me that I have some parts laying around somewhere. I knew I had a filter around, and some other things so I went on the hunt. Ended up finding the Fore Innovation fuel pressure regulator.

I know I also have a Fuelab 5" filter with -8 in/out somewhere as well. Looking through old pics it was installed post pump, so I ordered up a matching pre-pump filter, and an AEM inline fuel pump which is basically a Bosh 044.

I know that at one point I had some fuel rails, but I cant remember if I sold them or not. I need to dig though some more boxes to find that filter, and see if I do still have those rails. I have a lot of AN line and fittings already as well, so regardless I have most of a fuel system now Of course this pump will only support around 500-600 HP, but it will get the car up and running a lot sooner than spending 5 times the money on a massive fuel pump. The rest of the system will support plenty more (I also have 160lb/hr injectors) so it should be a simple change of pump when I need more down the road.

The other thing I have been going back and forth with for months now is my order of operations. I wanted to finish the fabrication work (at least all tacked up) before blowing it all apart to work on other areas. But since I don't currently have 220v power out in the garage, and the welder I use is 220 only I have been twiddling my thumbs. The other day while driving I had a thought about how to redo the passenger side piping to allow me to put AC in the car (another thing I have been debating since the start). Well when I got back home I looked at it, and decided to not only do what was thinking, but also redo the driverside as well. It has been bugging me that the radiator has to be moved because I ****ed up (kind of) the turbo placement. The turbo is staying exactly where it is, but all of the existing hot side will be changed. It will fix the radiator "issue", allow me to put in AC if I want, give me better wastegate location, and should also help with under hood temps which will already be an issue I think. Not only that, but it also means I can blow everything apart and work on other **** before I get the power sorted out in the garage!!! Another thing I did while I was looking at it was throw on the new valve cover to see how my clearance was on the down pipe.

Has to move over a little, but it was going to anyway. That down pipe was just tacked to be representative of the ballpark where it would be. Its not fit up worth a ****.

So the TL;DNR version is that I am going to start doing some actual work to the car pretty soon! I am expecting some kind of actual update in a couple weeks. This weekend I want to try and do something, but since its the wife's birthday I highly doubt I will. It has been driving me nuts to not be working on this car! I am really excited to have a game plan again so I can stop collecting parts and actually make progress!

Thanks for following along!
Sean
MNtyler (08-19-19)

Quick Reply: The BrokeEF SC400 build thread