Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 4GS owner vehicles

2016 Fsport to GS-F front end conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 01:50 PM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 Fsport to GS-F front end conversion

hey guys, ok so I had posted a thread on the General boards but since I've decided to dive into getting this done I wanted to put together a build thread as I feel this info will be useful to other members.

Initially, when I bought the car a few weeks ago I had the intention to swap the front bumper to GS-F solely for cosmetic reasons. I had assumed there would be a bunch of additional parts I would need to buy and/or modify my existing F-Sport components to work. Its now safe to say that I greatly underestimated the scope of work required to pull this off professionally. I have "built" (modified) many new vehicles in the past so I'm generally not phased by taking on a project like this. As most of you do, I'm sure, I enjoy working on my vehicles to make them unique and also perform better.

So my initial research led me to find out that Toyota/Lexus sells the complete GS-F grill assembly for upwards of $7,000 CAD. That assembly is referred to as part # 53101-30A50. Multiple dealers told me that the upper grill for the GS-F does not have a part number on its own and so the only way to get it is to buy the full assembly. I was not going to pay their price but was not going to abandon this project so easily. My hope was that my F-Sport upper grille would work (more on that a bit later). So I went ahead and bought the bumper cover for $500 (shipped in from California). That is part # 52119-3F904. I received it yesterday.

Today I actually began to tear the car apart to test fit the bumper and see if my F-Sport upper grill would work.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/148430876@N05/, on Flickr

The bumper cover fit very well and lines up properly with the headlights and fenders. No concerns there.

You can see I have my F-Sport grille in place, and it is very close to working but not quite right. The 2 upper pins do not meet the slots in the GS-F cover and also the center bar, that covers the rebar, holds the grill out too far which doesn't allow it to sit flat. This is caused by the location of the parking sensors on the F-Sport. Upon inspection of a local GS-F I noted that its front parking sensors were only located on the bumper cover itself underneath each headlight. There were none in the grill. After looking at an RC-F (which the dealer told me has the same lower grill as the GS-F) I noted that the other 2 sensors were located in the mesh below the center bar. I feel that I will be able to relocate my existing 2 grill sensors to these locations.

Upon further fitting I realized that the rebar and foam absorber (that goes between the bumper cover and rebar) were not going to work. The absorber itself was contoured to the F-Sport bumper and again was not allowing the GS-F cover to sit far enough inwards. The air ducts on each side of the GS-F are actually functional on the real GS-F, I know that in my case they will be cosmetic mostly however I do plan on seeing if I can use the one of the passenger side to direct more ait to the intake filter. But as you can see its not only the rebar that is visible through the intake ducts, its also the washer fluid reservoir (driver side) - see pic below. Solution: order the GS-F rebar and absorber which were not outrageously priced. Rebar $350 and foam $75. I have not yet ordered them as I still need to resolve the upper grille issue. Also need to price the fluid reservoir or modify one from another vehicle to work.

I went back to what the dealership told me that the lower RC-F grill is the same as the GS-F and assumed that the upper might also be the same. I'M PRAYING SO especially because it is available on its own and not part of a ridiculously priced complete assembly. Armed with the thought that I might be able to use some RC-F parts to make this work, I went ahead and ordered the RC-F grill surround trim moulding (part # 53121-24040). I will be receiving that tomorrow and if that fits correctly into the GS-F bumper cover then I know that the grills will work also. So everything is on hold until that test fit happens. I will report back by the end of the day tomorrow.
The following 4 users liked this post by DystinctGS:
eddie420 (07-07-18), maveriCK.. (06-14-17), SHuerta11 (06-15-17), strongvico (01-27-20)
Old 06-14-17, 03:11 PM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck! I think I would have opted for a GSF from the get go if that was the look I was going for. I hope it all works out!
Old 06-14-17, 03:26 PM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phins2rt
Good luck! I think I would have opted for a GSF from the get go if that was the look I was going for. I hope it all works out!
I would love to own a GS-F but its not realistic right now from a financial perspective. I paid $56k CAD ($43k USD) for a 2016 F-Sport with 10,000 kms (8,500 miles). GS-F are very rare in Canada. My dealer had one coming in that was selling for $115k CAD. So ya, GS-F would be nice but not for over double the price of my basically new F-Sport. I'm happy.
Old 06-15-17, 05:29 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This will be very interesting to watch unfold. Best of luck on this, keep us updated!
Old 06-15-17, 12:56 PM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

The RC-F grill surround moulding does not fit in the GS-F bumper cover.

If anyone can find me a complete GS-F front grill assemble or even just the upper grill please let me know. I will pay you a finders fee. Thanks
Old 06-15-17, 01:52 PM
rustednail
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a wrecked GS-F that'll be auctioned soon. Not sure if you can get the grill piece separately but I figure I'd share.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-car...-gs+f-21125169
The following users liked this post:
DystinctGS (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 02:25 PM
SHuerta11
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 06-16-17, 05:36 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DystinctGS
The RC-F grill surround moulding does not fit in the GS-F bumper cover.

If anyone can find me a complete GS-F front grill assemble or even just the upper grill please let me know. I will pay you a finders fee. Thanks
I would recommend you to monitor eBay, someone was selling completed GSF bumper a few months ago. Also, try to search www.car-parts.com for junk yards and of course Craigslist. It might take a while, be patient if you want to save $.

Originally Posted by rustednail
Here's a wrecked GS-F that'll be auctioned soon. Not sure if you can get the grill piece separately but I figure I'd share.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-car...-gs+f-21125169
Doubt new owner of this wrecked GS going to parted out... 99% it's going to be restored...
Link you provided is from third party partners, here is where it's being auctioned
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...50&RowNumber=1
Old 06-27-17, 07:16 AM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

This is currently at a stand still because I cant find any used grille parts and refuse to buy the whole grille assembly from the dealer. I have LKQ and a few other wreckers looking for me but nothing yet.

Stay tuned.
Old 07-23-17, 03:31 PM
rodnex
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have you seen this post?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...onversion.html
Old 07-23-17, 03:55 PM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rodnex
Not until now. thanks for sharing. I just commented on the thread asking for more details on the grilles as that is where I am currently hung up on. Have been searching the web, waiting for a used front end to come up but nothing yet.
Old 07-31-17, 06:34 PM
Tommastie
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DystinctGS
This is currently at a stand still because I cant find any used grille parts and refuse to buy the whole grille assembly from the dealer. I have LKQ and a few other wreckers looking for me but nothing yet.

Stay tuned.
maybe you can use the surrounding from this grille?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-lexus-G...3D262987941625
Old 07-31-17, 07:02 PM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

That's been on eBay for quite a while. It's way over priced. I made them a very fair offer and they declined. The problem with it is both grills are broken and the real source of the issue with this conversion is the non availability of the upper grill.
Old 08-01-17, 07:26 AM
andrewhren
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

excellent car
Old 08-01-17, 07:51 AM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andrewhren
excellent car
thank you. I hope with your help for the parts I can complete this conversion.

Quick Reply: 2016 Fsport to GS-F front end conversion