Old 10-28-17, 05:43 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man you guys have me itching to get a wet kit on my 400
Old 10-28-17, 05:46 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Scott, I've been following your posts for years and this is the first time I have seen pictures of your SC and details on its build. Simply... wow!! Beautiful, clean work you've done to it! And despite what you have noted about the reality of competition from modern large displacement built turbocharged engines that is one hell of an impressive setup you've got!

It is great to see another well built high powered SC out there in FL.
Old 10-30-17, 05:36 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Scott, I've been following your posts for years and this is the first time I have seen pictures of your SC and details on its build. Simply... wow!! Beautiful, clean work you've done to it! And despite what you have noted about the reality of competition from modern large displacement built turbocharged engines that is one hell of an impressive setup you've got!

It is great to see another well built high powered SC out there in FL.
Thanks man!... it's been a long haul but well worth it. Hopefully, some of the information I've posted will be useful to the community moving forward.
-scott
Old 12-29-17, 12:48 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

I did a bore inspection of the pistons, and it appears there is some oil leaking into 3 of the cylinders. But I'm not too concerned because the plugs are dry, and it doesn't smoke. Plus, the compression is good across all 6 holes. So, It's probably just leaky valve stem seals after the car sat for 6 years.
Not bad for a 10 year old motor, countless dyno pulls, multiple 10s passes, and 30k miles.

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 12-29-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 08:08 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Went to the dyno and worked on tuning nitrous. Was hoping to break 1000 whp but actually did something even better - almost got torque to equal horsepower. Check out the area under the curve:

With 900ft-lbs of torque, who needs a V8? Here's a YouTube vid of the pull:

1k whp is simply a matter of turning off closed loop boost control. Unfortunately, I set up boost-by-gear; so, the AEM was pulling boost to match the target. Next time on the dyno, 1k is mine.

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 03-14-18 at 07:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by motorheaddown:
97-SC300 (03-12-18), LEXXIUM (04-21-18)
Old 03-12-18, 08:31 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Insane!!!!
Old 03-13-18, 07:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Gotta be impressed with a built motor making it through dyno pulls and 30k miles of abuse. Excellent built, I enjoyed the read!
Old 08-24-18, 08:33 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing thread - Did you reach the 1K mark Scott?
Old 09-04-18, 05:22 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by atoledo
Amazing thread - Did you reach the 1K mark Scott?
Not yet... I'm limited by the exhaust; it won't make more than about 33lbs of boost. So, I'm having a single 4" exhaust fabricated from the mid-pipe back. I also purchased a 7675 dbb turbo for FL2K roll racing on Oct 5 - 6 and the Ocala 1/2 mile two weeks later. Consequently, I'll be back on the dyno soon to retune boost and nitrous.

Thanks,
-scott

Old 10-22-18, 03:04 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Just a quick update... I competed in both FL2K at Bradenton Motorsports Park and the Wannagofast 1/2 mile at the Jumbolair Airport in Ocala over the last 2 weeks. This was my second time at FL2k, and my first try at the 1/2 mile. Needless to say, I had a great time and highly recommend both events; they're well organized and safe venues.

Interestingly, I ran a faster trap in roll racing at FL2K this year over last but actually dropped relative to the field. Out of a 100 cars, I qualified 22nd @ 141mph in 2017; this year, I ran 145mph and qualified 33rd. So, my prediction from last year was spot on; everyone is getting faster, and our prized 2jz is getting left behind. In 2018, there were only a few 2j's - maybe 4? On the other hand, 32 GTRs entered the field.

By my good fortune, I was the top qualifier in the Sportsman Class and had two easy rounds. In the semi's, though, I stretched it too long in 3rd gear, hit the rev limit, and lost to a Mustang:

Next up was the Ocala 1/2 mile this past weekend; It was held at the Jumbolair Airport in Ocala FL. Having never run the half, it was a chance to collect data on 5th gear pulls as the 1/2 mile is too long for 4th. Interestingly, I've *never* made a 5th gear pull on boost; so, it was new territory and time to break out the laptop.

Here's my first run, on boost, only. I set the marker on the 5th gear data, and it all looked fantastic! AFRs were spot on, boost peaked above 35psi, and knock was well under control. On this pass, she trapped 164mph:

I also collected wheel spin data using my Racelogic. Here's the wheel speed plot of the same pass:

From this image, you can see the wheel speed separation by gear. The real stick out was second gear; she spun like crazy! So, I updated my boost by gear settings and lowered boost for the next pass. You can see here, it's managed a little better:

BTW, you'll also notice the data craters right at the top of the run. And I'm like "What the heck? What's going on?" After looking through the logs and comparing wheel speed to my time slip, it dawned on me... I out-ran the 8-bit value in the Racelogic! It only records wheel speed to 255km/hr! :-P After zooming in on the data, the register rolled over, and when I added the rolled-over value to 255, it produced at speed of 266km/hr. And that matched my time slip exactly!

The final runs were on boost and spray; my goal was to top 170mph. And it was oh so close!...

On the final run (169 mph), the clutch wouldn't let me out of first; so, I missed 2nd. And that cost me a 170mph run. But oh well, I had a blast getting there, and collected some awesome data along the way. I'll definitely be back next time to get that 170mph patch! If all else fails, just add more boost and jet up the nitrous. :-P

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-22-18 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 03:24 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice ...Scott , you are getting it done . Congrats !

I figure the car is still on full stock weight ? and what clutch is on that V160 ?
Old 10-22-18, 04:59 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Nice ...Scott , you are getting it done . Congrats !
I figure the car is still on full stock weight ? and what clutch is on that V160 ?
Yes full weight - about 3750lbs with me in it. I'm running a Tilton, but I'm not convinced that's the root cause. This has happened before, and it's either the clutch over heating, or the 2-piece DS is getting jammed against the output shaft of the tranny under heavy load. That pre-load will act like the clutch isn't working (i.e. won't disengage the gear).

Thanks,
-scott

Old 10-22-18, 08:28 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Tiltons for which I have on 3 cars (2 with triple and 1 with quad) were always good to me so I doubt too.

Reason I asked what clutch it was because a car whose owner I knew had an RPS all of a sudden wouldn't shift out of first because of overheating. We got it to cool down and it was ok again.

So you are right , I doubt it is your Tilton.
Old 10-22-18, 08:45 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Cool to read and the data logging sure is a nice feature! It's wild to see how fast these new cars are and that the 1k hp mark isn't what it used to be. Regardless, this thing is so wicked and it's awesome to see you having fun with it. Keep it up!
Old 12-21-19, 08:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Scott - Happy Holidays !

Are you using an ignition amplifier with the stock vvti coils at the power you are making ? I seem to have some stumbling above 21psi on my NA-T and I do believe it is ignition related. Only on high boost that I feel like am having some spark blow out. Wondering if it has something to do with dwell settings.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-21-19 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: The "just give me the cliffs" thread - my turbocharge/nitrous powered '97 sc300