nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 07:59 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread

Hi All!

This is my 3rd SC. My previous 2 were both white/tan 300's, a 94 and 98. This time around I wanted to go with a 400. Also I didnt want tan interior, so I went bought the first one I looked at, a 92 with grey interior, Nakamichi, heated seats, 130k miles.

Day I bought it.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-woy3xgl.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-zhmt1ad.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-deptyyj.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-efffr58.jpg

Immediately after purchase, went to drop it off at a performance shop where I used to work to rack and inspect it.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-9tzkeuy.jpg

Ended up finding a rear brake line had been rubbing on the wheel. I took it to Tustin Lexus to have that replaced, ended up finding a hardline leaking under the hood as well. Had them convert & recharge the A/C, drain and fill diff, full t-belt package w/ water pump, valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, and some other little misc stuff. Figured if I am going to start daily driving it I want it bulletproof reliable.

One of the first mods was the Acura MDX antenna since the power unit was busted. It is part number 39150-S3V-A01. Super easy install, just needed a washer for the inside for it to fit the oblong hole in the body of the SC.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-y8ykdsd.jpg

The headlights needed some love, so with the 3M kit they look good as new.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-tet2jz4.jpg

Added some LED low beam bulbs as well (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-pyi0pc2.jpg

While I was at it with the lighting, replaced every bulb on the car with LED. Cluster bulbs are still on order.

I am forcing myself to get suspension/wheels/tires until I do major cosmetic stuff, so red film over the dated looking amber tails for now.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-dzjnsbn.jpg

Went to my guy to have window tint done, a quick job turned into an all day ordeal since I ended up rebuilding and reinforcing the door panels and glass surround trims. Added washers on most of the bolts since the cardboard/poly/whatever it is door panels are getting aged, filled the window surrounds with foam to prevent even more cracking, and also had to glue everything that was broken back together again.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-rgez9vg.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-wjghc5d.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-v2etxom.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-sxnu4qu.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-2dm4upu.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-isg1opk.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-2zgfis9.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-1zu0u8j.jpg

And finally after a 8a-5p window tint job...
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-blwylps.jpg

More updates to come!

Last edited by nnnickkk; 07-06-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-07-16, 10:37 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice looking car man!

Sean
Old 07-09-16, 01:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Clean car! It looks like you're local in Orange County too.

Would you mind posting up some night time output shots of those LED head lights? I was eyeing the exact same ones on amazon a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't decide if I wanted to pull the trigger.
Old 07-10-16, 03:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Glad to see someone else try the expanding foam to support the back side of the window trim. If they had come with something like that from the factory, we wouldn't all be driving around with cracked trim pieces.
Old 07-10-16, 09:10 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrokeEF
Nice looking car man!

Sean
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Clean car! It looks like you're local in Orange County too.

Would you mind posting up some night time output shots of those LED head lights? I was eyeing the exact same ones on amazon a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't decide if I wanted to pull the trigger.
Yeah im in OC. Would love to meet up and check out your SC, its super clean! I'll get some pics of the cutoff with these bulbs, its really amazing for how old the car is.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Glad to see someone else try the expanding foam to support the back side of the window trim. If they had come with something like that from the factory, we wouldn't all be driving around with cracked trim pieces.
Super glad I did the foam. Its all going to come out again someday to do the audio, will definitely be doing some more foam and reinforcement.
Old 07-11-16, 03:05 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
Yeah im in OC. Would love to meet up and check out your SC, its super clean! I'll get some pics of the cutoff with these bulbs, its really amazing for how old the car is.
Thanks, I rarely see other SC owners at car meets, so I'm always down to check out other people's projects when I have a chance.
Old 08-30-16, 08:17 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Its been a while since my last update, had some issues with the car, but figured it all out!

For about a week I had a 'ghost' check engine light. Symptoms were while driving, the check engine light would go off and on at random, when it was on the car would dump a ton of fuel and bog out, sometimes even just die. At idle, it would be at around 200rpm, dump fuel and not want to drive, then all of a sudden the light would shut off and go back to normal. When trying to jump the terminals to pull codes, nothing was able to be pulled, just a solid CEL. Also when turning the key to ignition (not running) when all the lights on the cluster are supposed to be on, the CEL was not lit up. At first it stumped me so I tried some cheap solutions first like a new MAF and cleaning the idle control valve.

Ended up doing some research and talking with some veteran Lexus techs, with the research I did and their input, I decided to replace the ECU. Found a used one on ebay, popped it in, she's back to her normal self! Big thanks to this thread and all the info in it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html

After I got that figured out, I dropped the car off with my friends at Magnaflow where they needed an SC for some R&D on cats and exhaust measurements, they hooked me up with an axleback!

nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-t8opyq2.jpg

nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-htec8rq.jpg

Fast forward to the mods, I have some Apexi N1 EXV coilovers on the way, front upper & lower control arms and the Prothane front upper/lower bushing kit, Godspeed rear traction rods and toe arms.

Wheels & tires are still being contemplated, hoping to have at least the suspension & wheels done and on by end of October for the Street Neo Classics show.

Last edited by nnnickkk; 08-30-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 05:08 AM
BrokeEF
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Does this mean Magnaflow is going to have some options for us soon?!?!?

Sean
Old 08-31-16, 10:08 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
Wheels & tires are still being contemplated, hoping to have at least the suspension & wheels done and on by end of October for the Street Neo Classics show.
Are you planning on registering to show or just spectating?
Old 08-31-16, 11:30 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrokeEF
Does this mean Magnaflow is going to have some options for us soon?!?!?

Sean
it is possible!

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Are you planning on registering to show or just spectating?
was going to register to show, waiting on the coilovers from Japan, supposed to be end of September...
Old 09-01-16, 07:00 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

More pieces to the puzzle...

nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-jsfppcq.jpg
Old 09-03-16, 08:32 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Great stuff man, you made the right choice, Get the ride riding right then go for the fun stuff.
Old 09-04-16, 04:07 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scsexy
Great stuff man, you made the right choice, Get the ride riding right then go for the fun stuff.
Thanks!

So in preparation for the wheels & suspension, I spent my labor day sunday laboring on relocating the harness from the driver fenderwell to the engine bay and back around. Going through a few other threads here, I found a great youtube video that aided in the process. The harnesses you unplug in the driver footwell are a bit of a pain, but a good light and a set of picks will get the connector out with ease. Got the harness out, re-routed up top, wrapped in electrical tape then covered with loom. Pics below:

nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-vwsnw7j.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-yqcnls9.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-tlqctxp.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-iukysld.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-wpyctpn.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-pijn4gw.jpg

Here is the link to the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Httq...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-13-16, 10:06 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Wheels came in, just waiting on the coilovers still...

nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-h8imxx4.jpg
Old 10-12-16, 09:47 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Got all my parts gathered for the suspension/wheels/tires phase. Apexi coilovers, OEM upper and lower LCA, Prothane FCA bushing kit, Energy ball joint covers, Godspeed rear traction and toe rods.
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-i85jxhd.jpg

Enkei wheels and Hankook tires
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-cpwbcrs.jpg

Burning out the OEM bushings on the control arms
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-fexodc9.jpg
nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread-izogswd.jpg

Here is a sneak peak, going to work out some small kinks, try and get some good photos done and take the car to show at Street Neo Classics at Toyota corporate on Oct. 23.

Name:  6HxWnrn.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  402.2 KB

Quick Reply: nnnickkk's SC400 Build Thread