Build Threads Details on Club Lexus RC-F owner vehicles

Weswork's RCF

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 05:11 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it! Though it appears you are running out of places for carbon fiber.
Old 09-09-18, 09:07 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 647TTA
I like it! Though it appears you are running out of places for carbon fiber.
HA! You're probably right David. Are you and your wife still enjoying your F?
Old 09-10-18, 04:17 AM
647TTA
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the RCF is awesome. We have a new Z06 being built next week which will give our RCF a rest for a while.
Old 12-28-18, 03:27 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

literally the sickest RCF I have ever seen. Can your provide me a link for the CF side mirror housing? You said you got a deal on it that was less than $1000?
Old 01-10-19, 06:22 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shadow1118
literally the sickest RCF I have ever seen. Can your provide me a link for the CF side mirror housing? You said you got a deal on it that was less than $1000?
Thank you for the compliments and sorry for the delay in my response. No link but, the route I went in getting these was first purchasing the USDM mirror housings and then having them sent off to Japan, through Luis at Carson Toyota who is still a vendor here I think. They were supposed to be being done by the same folks that do work for LEMS ( http://lems.jp/ ) I had originally ordered the LEMS pieces through Luis but, they didn't work as the JDM market mirror housings are a slightly different size. Having them done this way ran me slightly less than the LEMS ones at about $1K but, not sure exactly how much because it was packaged in with the 3 other pieces I had done (center console shifter surround, rear seat divider, and hood vent surround). HOWEVER, after going through all this explanation I would recommend against it or possibly going through another vendor stateside. After having these piece on the car and them being exposed to the summer Carolina sun for the last 2 years they have not held up pristine or to the same standard as factory pieces. The carbon overlay has lifted away from the plastic mirror housing in some spots and one corner of the hood vent surround seems to warp a little when hot and is not as flush as it should be. It may not be noticeable to most but, I know... so it bothers me a little.

I will also note that I am experiencing a little delamination on my steering wheel as well which was through a different vendor than Luis (DCTMS). My car is not garage parked (due to other vehicles taking up that space) and is my daily. Others may have different experiences for occasionally driven, garaged and lower temp/less sunny areas.
Old 01-10-19, 08:32 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Wesley,
Hate to hear about all the carbon issues! After all that effort to make it happen and then to have it not hold up must be frustrating. I’m sorry brother.
Did you clear coat the exterior pieces after getting them from Japan? All the Jdm stuff I have gotten has not had proper clear coat/Anti-UV on it.
Just FYI my steering wheel is holding up fine. We got them practically at the same time. My car is garaged though.

Shadow,
Imo, just get the $100 eBay carbon covers. They’re actually pretty decent and if they go sour, it won’t hurt so much.
The following users liked this post:
Lammyyy (01-18-19)
Old 01-17-19, 06:43 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Wesley,
Hate to hear about all the carbon issues! After all that effort to make it happen and then to have it not hold up must be frustrating. I’m sorry brother.
Did you clear coat the exterior pieces after getting them from Japan? All the Jdm stuff I have gotten has not had proper clear coat/Anti-UV on it.
Just FYI my steering wheel is holding up fine. We got them practically at the same time. My car is garaged though.

Shadow,
Imo, just get the $100 eBay carbon covers. They’re actually pretty decent and if they go sour, it won’t hurt so much.
Thanks Ming. I think your right about the clear coat. I had all the exterior pieces covered in expel ppf (the same as the front clip) and I thought that it would cover me. It did for the most part however, it appears that since the ppf wasn't wrapped around the edges and doesn't quite go to the edge to prevent lift, the uncovered part is just enough to cause the issue. I'll try to post a few pictures. Like I said, I think its much more noticeable to me as opposed to others. Still very happy with the car overall and the attention it gets.

Old 01-17-19, 06:54 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Here are pics I referred to above. You can see the PPF lines and how it left me unprotected just enough. I'll know better next time.

Old 01-17-19, 08:38 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Bummer Wes...
Not sure if the ppf going to edges would have prevented that though.

Looks like the carbon fiber is delaminating from the resin. Pre-preg cf shouldn’t have done that if was cured correctly in autoclave? But I’m no cf expert. Wonder if it was just dry carbon with resin cured in atmospheric pressure?

Anyone more knowledge wanna chime in.
Ryan? Care to comment?

Old 01-18-19, 04:44 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. That really stinks

Guess it is just time to get a full CF hood

All my exterior CF pieces had additional clear coating done along with PPF and ceramic coating. My car is also garaged which helps.

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 01-18-19 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 08:46 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Well, I finally took some shots of the car (not necessarily very good but, shots nevertheless) with all of the things I've installed on the (exterior) of the car. I got the replacement hood vent and mirror covers from Elvin, like many on here, and am happy with the work and the match with the OEM CF. As I indicated, I had them UV cleared AND PPF'd before installing. Hoping these will last. I'm also including a better shot of the TRD CF engine cover/strut tower brace. I added blue silicone radiator hoses to tie in the theme. Unfortunately, you can't really see/tell the replacement titanium nuts and bolts used on the engine cover, strut tower stands, etc. I think she may be done... Who am I kidding??!! It's NEVER done.

The following 3 users liked this post by weswork:
05RollaXRS (05-11-20), JT2MA71 (03-27-19), konichiwa3 (03-27-22)
Old 03-26-19, 08:48 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Not sure why all the pics are duplicated. I will try to edit out.
Old 03-27-19, 06:33 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Looking good! I like how all the blue accents in the engine bay match!
Old 03-28-19, 11:46 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good Wesley !!!
Mass drooling when I see that engine cover...

When you coming back to Atl?
Come down for that mountain run.
Old 05-11-20, 10:42 PM
ProMover
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you still using the spacers on the BC Forged wheels?

Quick Reply: Weswork's RCF