Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My SC300 Chumpcar Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 08:14 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
What kind of truck do you use to pull the trailer? Dodge Cummins?
I have a 32’ Allegro RV with a Ford V10. Pulls it great, stops great, get to stay at the track all weekend!
Old 01-25-19, 10:25 AM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger

I have a 32’ Allegro RV with a Ford V10. Pulls it great, stops great, get to stay at the track all weekend!
man i need an RV or an old school bus for dirtbike race weekends. A pickup and a tent just isn't the same
Old 01-25-19, 04:55 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Damn that sounds like the way to go!

I've got an 03 SS silverado with a 6.0 and i've pulled the Sc on a trailer with it before but i really didn't think id want to do it all the time. I just pulled it an hour after i blew up my transmission in the car at the drag strip that is an hour away. I'd never really tow'd anything before and i was pretty nervous. I got like 11mpg while pulling =\.

My cars street legal so i drive it usually to where ever were racing.(obviously it breaks sometimes there too lol)

I keep telling myself i'll boost my truck once the cars done but it never seems to be done..... i just want more everytime i get to where i said i'll be done.
Old 01-27-19, 01:56 PM
stheodore
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Such an impressive thread. Bravo, and best wishes for continued success too!
Old 05-25-19, 06:46 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Installed this today.

I did have a 35 pound battery, now I have this 15 pound one. I may go with one of the Life PO 3-1/2 pound ones and use this as a back up, but small steps. The racing we do is all about power to weight so gotta keep looking for weight reduction.

I then re-installed the Megasquirt. Loaded a tune from one of the gurus I have been working with, something is still amiss. I will do some auto tunes and data log it and send back to him and see what he thinks, but even at idle something is not right. Will just have to keep looking.
Old 05-26-19, 10:12 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

You might be okay with the 3.5 lb LiFe battery on the SC300. I tried mine in the SC400 and it struggled a bit to crank the V8. It works great on a 4 cyl. I don't think I ever tried it on my 2JZ, but I'm guessing it would be adequate for that in-between size, especially for a non-DD application like yours.
Old 05-26-19, 03:35 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

I may give it a try. Thanks.
Old 05-28-19, 09:08 AM
brawls43
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We run one of these 2.3lb'ers. And have jump back for back up. So far used it in one race and not had an issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7SCMVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7SCMVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-28-19, 10:56 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by brawls43
We run one of these 2.3lb'ers. And have jump back for back up. So far used it in one race and not had an issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The lithium ion have had such bad things happen that i am not sure i would run one, but the life po seem to do better. May try one of them.
Old 05-29-19, 06:43 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, I wouldn't go anywhere near a lithium ion battery in a car, even if that's what many electric cars are relying on. On the other hand, at least you'd get to test out your fire suppression system on a regular basis!
Old 05-29-19, 07:45 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The lithium ion have had such bad things happen that i am not sure i would run one, but the life po seem to do better. May try one of them.
Originally Posted by t2d2
Yeah, I wouldn't go anywhere near a lithium ion battery in a car, even if that's what many electric cars are relying on. On the other hand, at least you'd get to test out your fire suppression system on a regular basis!
the fear of lithium batteries is really undeserving. The batteries are perfectly safe it's usually bad balancing circuits that ruin the batteries causing their internal resistance to rise which increases heat and eventually kills the battery. i've been using Lithium Polymer batteries in drones, ebikes, and eskate boards for well over 5 years and never had a single fire, explosion, or any sort of mishap at all. the same exact batteries are in your phone, laptop, power tools and people aren't afraid of those so why be afraid of them in a car. it's the same as anything else, just have to get a good product with a good BMS built in (battery management system).
The following users liked this post:
MNtyler (07-22-19)
Old 05-30-19, 07:03 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^ It's all about how much risk you're willing to take. The biggest construction company in the region no longer allows cordless tools to be stored or charged in their job boxes. They had several very expensive fires from lithium ion batteries going poof overnight. It wasn't attributed to bad balancing circuits, rather to regular wear and tear compromising the stability. (Likewise, don't store taclights with lithium ion batteries in your gun safe...with ammo nearby!)
Old 07-21-19, 04:54 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Just back from our first race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway where we ran the car in two 10 hour endurance races with Champcar Endurance Series. We were far from the fastest car there, so we had to make up for it with good driving, nailing pit stops, and having the car stay together. It's not easy getting a car ready to last 20 hours of racing, but the Lexus was up for the challenge (for the most part). The first day ended with us in 4th place out of 104 cars that started the race. We had to run the last hour in 4th gear only due to a failing clutch pressure plate. That night we put another clutch in it and the second day was better other than a loss of the brake booster making braking difficult but yielded a 3rd place finish. Given the fast field there, we'll take a 4th and a 3rd. The car handles as good or better than any car there, we are just lacking horsepower or horsepower/weight. We need to get the Megasquirt going (or sell it and go with something else), we'll see when we start sorting that our shortly. Then we'll continue to work on reducing weight beyond all of our previous work. The low hanging fruit is done, now it's one pound at a time.

Recent work in preparation for Indy:
  • Removed what was left of steering column, installed shaft, 2 heim joints, spline, and removable steering wheel.
  • Fresh fluids all around.
  • Installed a brace on the mid pipe (like the post 96's have) that mounts to the trans to give more support and prevent cracks in the downpipe.
  • Fresh head gasket, freshened up head installed.
  • Installed new Toyota harmonic balancer. Too many failures on the aftermarket ones at high rpm.
  • Fresh brake pads all around.
Here we are taking the checkered for 3rd on the second day.

Old 07-22-19, 06:39 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,198 Likes on 830 Posts

Lookin good man! Sounds like you had a pretty successful weekend all things considered.
Old 09-22-19, 08:16 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

I didn't mention in the Indianapolis report that we lost the brake booster about an hour into the 10 hour race the 2nd day. The one thing that sets these cars apart in endurance racing is the brakes. They are second to none with the LS calipers on the front, but take the power assist away and it's a handful. Yesterday I robbed the booster off one of my parts cars, put it and a new master cylinder on the car and back to the old faithful brakes again. The master cylinder wasn't bad, but it was a little wet behind it at the booster so decided to go ahead and change it. We changed trans fluid with my special concoction of Redline MTL and MT90. The W58 needs fresh fluid pretty regularly, I change it after every race weekend. We put a fresh change of Motul 15W-50 on the engine oil. New brake pads all the way around. Found the center bearing loose, guess it didn't get tightened properly during the clutch swap the night between races at Indy. Lucky that didn't haunt us before the end of the day on Sunday. A few other checks and minor items and the car seems ready to race again. Next up is a race at Barber in Birmingham AL in late November. We still have work to do on the Megasquirt, hope to have that ready by that next race so we can crank out a few more ponies. About all for now.

Quick Reply: My SC300 Chumpcar Build