Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 11:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Looking good!! Car has come a long way. That is unfortunate on the RMR issue but its nice that they stand behind their products and took care of it.
Old 07-15-17, 08:07 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Looking good!! Car has come a long way. That is unfortunate on the RMR issue but its nice that they stand behind their products and took care of it.
Thanks Ali!
You were a HUGE help!
Old 07-15-17, 11:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

So, I have taken a bit of a break from posting as the car has been on the mend semi chronically.
The last episodes were smoke from the Comp 67mm turbo whenever I hit boost. I purchased a replacement turbo to address this. I selected the Borg Warner 362SXe. While preparing for the install and new tune, I melted a piston. I tracked it down to a compressed, wastegate vacuum line. The wastegate actually stopped opening long ago and my ear was not tuned well enough to notice and address it. I stopped hearing that "open dump" wastegate sound MONTHS ago. I can't believe it lasted this long not opening.
Anyway, i took my brother for a spin and noticed the car was slower and started smoking and missing. That was the melted piston.
I found verified a 60K mile 2JZGE from an NA supra. The car was sitting right next to the motor at 70K miles. It was a tiny bit rusty up top on the cylinders but everything else looked totally brand new. The honed areas cleaned up quite well.
We swapped in the new block, installed the new turbo and upgraded the fuel system.
I installed PTFE line, dual Walbro 450's, a flex fuel sensor and a new Clutchmasters FX400 clutch. I already had a Weldon FPR and 1000cc injectors. All E85 compatible. I went to Vinny Ten racing to use the dyno. Wayne "Speed" Blair tuned the car on E85 and it made 655hp at 28psi.
The car sounds and feels better than ever and is SCARY FAST! I need to learn to drive it all over again. I will be adding a 93 tune and the flex fuel elements of the flex tune as soon as my tuner figures it out. He is great at both tunes, but has never done a flex tune. I want to stay with him if I can as i loved his E85 tune and the old 93 tune for my 67mm Comp turbo.

I will take some videos as soon as i am less scared of my car ;-)
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-dirtyblock.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-cleanblock.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-362sxe-in-kitchen.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-downwrap.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-freed-hanger.jpg  

95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-flex-sensor.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-17, 03:48 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I am seriously thinking about swapping in a CD009 setup and selling my R154 setup. It will be a pain to pull off but I think i will wind up with a much better car. I just need to fully figure out how to retain a speedo/odometer. The stock R154 scares me at this power level. I am also considering a MC rebuild of the tranny. This would actually cost more ($2200-2500 with labor) as I'd have nothing to sell. I could probably sell everything for the R154 and break even with a complete Collins kit. Id come out of pocket for the CD009 and installation. This is an expensive hobby....
Old 08-21-17, 04:51 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I am seriously thinking about swapping in a CD009 setup and selling my R154 setup. It will be a pain to pull off but I think i will wind up with a much better car. I just need to fully figure out how to retain a speedo/odometer. The stock R154 scares me at this power level. I am also considering a MC rebuild of the tranny. This would actually cost more ($2200-2500 with labor) as I'd have nothing to sell. I could probably sell everything for the R154 and break even with a complete Collins kit. Id come out of pocket for the CD009 and installation. This is an expensive hobby....
These cars are money pits , no way around it . At the end of the day , anything from an SC or the car itself ... hard to sell also . Exactly the reason why a lot of people cut corners when they build their performance car then at the end of the day start having problems.

If I were you , save some money ...then sell the R154 and with a bit more go Tremec Magnum and be done with it ! It might be more expensive but you will have a brand new transmission ($3200) and on paper at OEM / Stock (without being built) has a bigger torque rating than the V160. Everything would be bolt in and drive it like the transmission was stock on the car. That will probably be the last 6 speed transmission you will need .
Old 08-21-17, 09:10 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
These cars are money pits , no way around it . If I were you , save some money ...then sell the R154 and with a bit more go Tremec Magnum and be done with it ! It might be more expensive but you will have a brand new transmission ($3200) and on paper at OEM / Stock (without being built) has a bigger torque rating than the V160. Everything would be bolt in and drive it like the transmission was stock on the car. That will probably be the last 6 speed transmission you will need .
Gerrb is right, these cars are money pits...

I agree about the Tremec trans as well, great option for going 6spd....you might also want to look into doing a Ford 8.8 4.10 IRS w/Torsen T2R lsd. Cheaper and stronger (and in my opinion more flexible option) than a Supra 6spd lsd diff. You can build one up for less than a grand...some custom work will need to be done on your part, but not much.
Old 08-21-17, 01:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

These cars are money pits , no way around it . At the end of the day , anything from an SC or the car itself ... hard to sell also . Exactly the reason why a lot of people cut corners when they build their performance car then at the end of the day start having problems.

If I were you , save some money ...then sell the R154 and with a bit more go Tremec Magnum and be done with it ! It might be more expensive but you will have a brand new transmission ($3200) and on paper at OEM / Stock (without being built) has a bigger torque rating than the V160. Everything would be bolt in and drive it like the transmission was stock on the car. That will probably be the last 6 speed transmission you will need .
Gerrb,
Wow! I wonder why I never hear of this. No kit needed? just bolt to 2J? Why isn't everyone using them? That's the same price as the Collins kit without labor or tranny. What about speedo and odd?

Thanks Gerrb!
Old 08-21-17, 01:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

OK, now I recognize it. I have seen the name T56. I see a kit at nearly 5K. If that's what I need, I just won't be able to go T56 anytime soon. I'd need labor and more as well. Maybe in a year or two :-)

For now, I still have the other two options.

Thanks Gerrb!

https://www.grannasracing.com/produc...kiv-2jz-tr6060

Last edited by Studiogeek; 08-21-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 03:05 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The T56 , Tremec TR6060 are different from the Tremec Magnum (which they call also T56 Magnum) . The latter is their best version that can hold more torque and used in high hp corvette , camaro , viper and others.

Check Grannas Racing ( https://www.grannasracing.com/collec...gnum-swap-kits ) and you have many options depending on how much power you will run. You can run the stock Tremec Magnum or get a built one. Even the stock Tremec Magnum (700 ft/lbs of torque) is more than enough. The V160 is rated even less . Yes , it is all bolt in . Even the shifter is right there at the center of your 1995 SC300 . Many are already using it especially on Supraforums due to the very expensive and discontinued V160. It may seem expensive , but for what you are getting .. it is a no brainer 6 speed swap. Check Ryan's Build Thread (CatmanDw3). He ditched his R154 and went with Tremec At your power level of +600 , you will start having problem with your R154 even if it is built with Marlin Crawler internals. Too much internal pressure pushes that trans fluid out of the seals , shifter and so on. Ask those who have been there ... "done that , been there " as many known guys here would say.
Old 08-22-17, 04:52 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thanks Gerrb!
I will do some research. Sounds awesome!
Old 08-23-17, 09:08 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

The T56 , Tremec TR6060 are different from the Tremec Magnum (which they call also T56 Magnum) . The latter is their best version that can hold more torque and used in high hp corvette , camaro , viper and others.
To add to what Gerrb said, the TR-6060 is what the T-56 Magnum is called by the OEM car makers(Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc...), yet when you buy one to put into a car that didn't have one from the factory they are called T-56 Magnum's. The TR6060 is vehicle specific where as the T56 Magnum is more of a "generic application" version of the TR6060 because the TR6060 has vehicle specific tail housings and wide/close ratios that let them fit perfectly in various OEM car tunnels.
Old 08-23-17, 03:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

That sucks to hear about the mishap, but good fix on the new stuff!! you should have an overboost set in the aem to shut things down when that happens, some people don't set it but it can save your motor when things like this happen. I agree with the t56 over the cd009. just can't get over the shifter and clutch setup issues with the cd009 and the t56 doesn't have any of those issues just costs more $$.
Old 08-24-17, 03:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you should have an overboost set in the aem to shut things down when that happens, some people don't set it but it can save your motor when things like this happen. I agree with the t56 over the cd009. just can't get over the shifter and clutch setup issues with the cd009 and the t56 doesn't have any of those issues just costs more $$.
Boost Pressure , Oil Pressure , Fuel Pressure are the 3 sensors that every setup IMHO should at the minimum, have . Together with the ECU failsafes capability , it will save someone a lot of money by protecting the engine.

True , Tremec Magnum will be more expensive but it saves you a lot of install / swap head aches , you will have more clutch / pressure plate and flywheel options (what is available) when you need dual or triple disks and has been proven in a lot more performance cars both domestics and imports. It is IMHO well worth the extra $$$ . This I say based on my personal experience , having installed both setup now with dual disks.
Old 08-24-17, 06:53 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

This I say based on my personal experience , having installed both setup now with dual disks.
Wait....Gerry, you've installed a T56 Magnum in a Supra/SC???

Dude....why am I always the last to hear about these things
Old 08-24-17, 08:06 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Wait....Gerry, you've installed a T56 Magnum in a Supra/SC???

Dude....why am I always the last to hear about these things
Gerry has the Transmission. He has not installed.

I have been running the T56 Magnum in my car since April. Check out my build thread, I dont frequent on the forums that much anymore

Link to builld where T56 swap starts: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-build-62.html

Last edited by CatManD3W; 08-24-17 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread