Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 221 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally posted by lexusondubs
congrats on your decison
Thanks bro!
Originally posted by Richie
I like your way of thinking Hameed!!
If you can't sell the car, just mod it further.
. We have to keep the tradition alive right? If you are on CL, modding is a requirement, not an option!
Originally posted by T.L.W.
i always love how you take pics when you put in new items

cant wait to hear how this works out for you

congrats man

i hope you give a detailed write up
Hi Johnny! Thanks! Yes, I always try to take as many pics as possible. The only problem with the pics is that some of them are blurry as I don't want to setup my tripod at the shop. It looks kind of weird while Desmond is working on the car and I have tripod standing there snapping pics. I just snap the pics quickly when I can and put away the camera.

I will post a detailed write up later this week.
Old 07-28-04, 06:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by redgs4
Truly nice to hear that you decided to keep the car. And keep modding.
Thanks! Hopefully will do another mod today - depends on whether Desmond has time tonight!
Originally posted by FutureGS400
So glad to see you could keep your car AND get your new house too! Congrats...
Yeah, I noticed the difference in the two housings too. And besides the extra heat sink fins, the TT LSD diff also has a larger "sump" area on the bottom toward the front of the housing (for more lube I assume).
When you get a chance, turn off the VSC and check out the kind of power you can put down in the corners!
What a difference the lower gears combined with the LSD makes!
Thanks Future!
When you say turn of the VSC and then go around a corner, are you saying the car will be faster or will it just slide more? I think it will slide sideways like crazy....

Last edited by Hameed; 07-28-04 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-28-04, 09:41 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
. We have to keep the tradition alive right? If you are on CL, modding is a requirement, not an option!
Hahahaha, why do you think I have the white blinkers
Old 07-28-04, 09:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks bro!
Thanks Drew! Yes, it is not worth selling the car considering how much effort I have put into it.

Congrats on the decision to install the TC. It's interesting to see how some of you GS gurus have waited so long (especially you since you are very much performance oriented) to install the TC! I plan on doing the same install in another two to three weeks too.

I have not had much time to drive the car since Monday. It's been raining cats and dogs since then. I will post a detailed write up on my feedback in a couple of days.

Yummy??? It looks kind of dirty to me bro!
hahah yeah, actually i wonder how the hell can you get the stock diff to be so damn dirty.... i mean, don't you wash the BOTTOM of the car? shame on you
Old 07-28-04, 09:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thanks! Hopefully will do another mod today - depends on whether Desmond has time tonight!
Thanks Future!
When you say turn of the VSC and then go around a corner, are you saying the car will be faster or will it just slide more? I think it will slide sideways like crazy....
if you turn vsc off on turns, it's not about faster, but you can feel the rear pushing you through the turns a lot better instead of the stock diff where it's not pushing you in the right direction

but like i said, don't try this unless you know what you are doing
Old 07-28-04, 10:14 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Future!
What I mean is that with the open (stock) diff and VSC on when you go around a slower, tight corner and try to nail the throttle, what you get is wheel spin on the inside wheel-then VSC kicks in and you go nowhere fast!
NOW, with the Torsen LSD you will not spin the inside tire on the turn under power. You may spin both tires if you give it too much throttle but the VSC will still control excess wheel spin although it won't be used nearly as often with the LSD of course!
Under good traction conditions and assuming good rubber (my 275 Goodyears stick like glue! ) you really have to try to break the rear end loose with the VSC off. This can be fun if you know what you're doing and you have the room to do it.
The lower gearing will really help launch you out of the corner too. You'll see what I mean after a few "test drives"! Have fun and be careful...
Old 07-28-04, 01:30 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by FutureGS400
What I mean is that with the open (stock) diff and VSC on when you go around a slower, tight corner and try to nail the throttle, what you get is wheel spin on the inside wheel-then VSC kicks in and you go nowhere fast!
NOW, with the Torsen LSD you will not spin the inside tire on the turn under power. You may spin both tires if you give it too much throttle but the VSC will still control excess wheel spin although it won't be used nearly as often with the LSD of course!
Under good traction conditions and assuming good rubber (my 275 Goodyears stick like glue! ) you really have to try to break the rear end loose with the VSC off. This can be fun if you know what you're doing and you have the room to do it.
The lower gearing will really help launch you out of the corner too. You'll see what I mean after a few "test drives"! Have fun and be careful...
Originally posted by rominl
if you turn vsc off on turns, it's not about faster, but you can feel the rear pushing you through the turns a lot better instead of the stock diff where it's not pushing you in the right direction

but like i said, don't try this unless you know what you are doing
Thanks for the clarifications guys!!

I drove the car some more today and immediately noticed the difference in acceleration and the higher rpms at highway cruising speeds. Now the rpms are in the sweet spot (3000 rpm) at highway speeds, so acceleration is even better at highway speeds.

I have not had a chance to test the lsd in corners yet.

Is this mod worth doing? A resounding YES!!
Old 07-28-04, 05:08 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Hameed, its aboutt ime you put that thing on the car. It took you as long to put it on as it did for me to send it to you!!
Old 07-28-04, 05:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sigh, i hope i can have my own lsd and tc soon
Old 07-30-04, 08:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Hey Hameed, its aboutt ime you put that thing on the car. It took you as long to put it on as it did for me to send it to you!!
Buying a new house put in crimp in my disposable $$

Question for you TTurbo, the LSD had one of the bolt holes damaged (one of the three at the back - ie. on the left hand side where there are two bolt holes, the outer one is caved in a bit.). This must have happened during shipping. Anyway, we could not put a bolt through it and we need to retap it.

My mechanic said it is ok temporarily to have the lsd on the car with only two of the three bolts in, but we would need to retap it soon. He said it would need a 14 by 2 tap. Any idea where I can get one? I have tried local hardware stores and cannot find any.
Old 07-30-04, 06:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

My Uncle who lives in Mississauga has a top notch machine tool and die shop and can do anything with metal if you don't find another solution.
Old 07-30-04, 07:17 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Hameed,

I also work in a tool shop. You need to contact an industrial supply house. Like here http://www.kbctools.com/can/main.cfm

If you can't dig one up, I'll order one and fire it down your way. Let me know if I can help...

So we need to get together maybe next Friday the 9th or 16th for a nite at the dragstrip to test your LSD. What do you say? Can you get anyone else to go with us? A mini Lexus meet? I'm ready for it..haven't had the GS at the track yet and I really want to go...
Old 08-01-04, 05:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bitkahuna
My Uncle who lives in Mississauga has a top notch machine tool and die shop and can do anything with metal if you don't find another solution.
Thanks Bit, I will first try to get something in a store before I resort to something custom. $$ are an issue here.
Originally posted by RRocket
Hameed,

I also work in a tool shop. You need to contact an industrial supply house. Like here http://www.kbctools.com/can/main.cfm

If you can't dig one up, I'll order one and fire it down your way. Let me know if I can help...
I searched that website but could not find a 14 by 2............ Not sure if I searched properly or not. I would be very grateful if you could get one for me. I can paypal you the $$ for this. Please send me a PM if you can. Thanks!! I love CL............
So we need to get together maybe next Friday the 9th or 16th for a nite at the dragstrip to test your LSD. What do you say? Can you get anyone else to go with us? A mini Lexus meet? I'm ready for it..haven't had the GS at the track yet and I really want to go...
Not sure about next Friday. I have had a very hard time (my lack of organization) trying to get Canadian members excited about a meet. I tried last year but it didn't go anywhere.

I would love to come out, but other than the drag strip, what else could we do there? I was talking to someone else and it appears that the Cayuga raceway is more interesting because they have a road course too.

I am not too sure what else we could combine this with as I would love to make it a family event (I have two boys - 7 and 5 plus I would like to bring my wife as well ). Any suggestions?

Maybe we should start up a thread on this in the Canada forum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/for...s=&forumid=133 . I know some of the Canadian members by screen name. We could start a thread there and then send PM's to the Canadian members and gauge everyone's interest? I would love to have a 'decent' Lexus meet!

Last edited by Hameed; 08-01-04 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 11:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I absolutely love the LSD!!!! It is an awesome mod.

I have "experimented" with its potential and there is this one almost 180 degree turn that I love to take very fast from a stop and before I had the LSD, the VSC would always kick in.

With the LSD, (keep in mind I have staggered tire sizes 275 mm at the back), the car ofcourse understeers more now, but the stronger characteristic that comes through the car with this mod is the feeling that the car has rear wheel steering.

Around the same bend I can go faster now (I don't turn off the VSC), and right around the apex, it feels as if the outer rear wheel has more power going to it resulting in a feeling of the car being pushed more from the outside rear. It's as if the rear wheels are turning slightly into the corner. It is just such an amazing feeling as it gives the car more acceleration around curves!!!! To top it off the VSC does NOT kick in!! D

A must do performance mod!!!!

Last edited by Hameed; 08-11-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 04:38 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it definitely gives the car more capability in the corners. Just be careful not to OVERestimate the traction and end up in the weeds (or worse)! Before the LSD, the inside wheel would lose traction or VSC would step in to keep you out of trouble. With the Torsen LSD (and the lower gearing), if you break traction (assuming you have turned OFF the VSC) you can end up sideways and out of control pretty quick-as some people can testify to! For that reason, I almost always leave the VSC on since it is rarely needed now, I feel that when I do need it, I REALLY need it!

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003