Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

specONE Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 09:46 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Was going to wait until tomorrow to mounted them back on the car but got a little excited so on they went.

Last edited by specONE; 06-13-17 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 12:14 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah okay they're the same we have here without the side indicators, thought you're going for 17 headlights
Old 04-19-17, 04:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

You're right...I looked at both sets of photos and I can't tell the difference between the USD and JDM ones...except for the side reflectors front and rear and that twisted pair of red/blue wires on the headlight.
Old 04-19-17, 05:35 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You're right...I looked at both sets of photos and I can't tell the difference between the USD and JDM ones...except for the side reflectors front and rear and that twisted pair of red/blue wires on the headlight.
The twisted pair of red/blue wires were added by the previous owner, it is not factory like that. (they added additional LED lights)
Yes the key difference is the side reflectors are different. The rear reflector has no light on it on the JDM version.
The front reflector has no light on it and instead of Orange, it is Clear in color.
it is very minor but someone that understands the difference will spot it right away.

In America Market law, car manufacturers must follow DOT and put Orange side reflector in front headlight and have side amber light.
On the Rear Taillight, it also must have Side reflector and Side red marker lights.
(you will see some cars have it on separate piece on bumper instead in some cases)

This Orange piece sticks out like a sore thumb to me and ever since I've gotten the car I always admired the JDM version with the clear piece instead. So as luck came to me, I met someone recently in Japan by name of Ryoto that was in search of the USDM with the amber instead and we agreed upon trading. He also wanted the Taillamps due to the minor difference so I traded these for his as well. I do not care too much for the taillights but I figured I'd helped him out and do a full trade. (Side note, you would see that I actually unplugged this side light earlier on in my Build to mimic a JDM light look)

Regardless I am Happy I have these headlights now as it sets the color theme I have going on much better.

Last edited by specONE; 10-29-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 12:24 AM
specONE
Racer

Moving right along, we now are installing a Fsport Air Intake that I recently pieced together.

But there's a twist to it!

Before going out and purchasing the 3IS Fsport Air Intake kit, I noticed that the 2IS kit had a pipe with a Fsport emblem welded into place.

This got me curious and I wanted it more than the plain pipe that comes with the 3IS kit. So I did some research and found out that I can buy all the pieces individually in the kit as well as buy the 2IS pipe individually.

A small part of me was worried that it may not fit but since all the other 2IS intake out in the market transferred over to the 3IS just fine then it should in theory work. I priced it out purchasing it separately and it came close to purchasing a full 3IS kit. I went ahead and placed order for all the individually pieces.

Installing it......

And what do you know it works and looks awesome. Most people will miss this small detail but those that do spot it would appreciate it.

Here's a video of installing it....Subscribe to my youtube channel for more videos in the future like this!

Here is are the individual part numbers if anyone else wants to do the same as i have.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-a...ew?usp=sharing
3IS parts numbers:
PTR03-53141-AA /// F-Sport Filter
PTR03-53141-AB /// F-Sport Air Box Upper
PTR03-53141-AC /// Bellows & Clamp Kit
PTR03-53141-AE /// Coupler & Clamp Kit

PTR03-53141-AD /// Intake Tube 3IS
PTR03-53083 /// Intake Tube 2IS (raised Fsport)

Here is part number for the actual one meant for the car as a full kit with all pieces together if you don't want to go all crazy like I did
PTR03-53141
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...lf%26vxp%3Dmtr

=====================================================================

One last shot of the JDM headlights with the clear reflector now with the bumper back on the car. So in love with this right now.

Last edited by specONE; 10-29-17 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FSporting (08-20-21)
Old 04-21-17, 06:21 PM
EMOgs3
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So clean
Old 04-21-17, 09:16 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you have to do any modification to the wiring when switching over to the JDM headlights? Have you installed the tails yet?
Old 04-21-17, 10:06 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by evltwn
Did you have to do any modification to the wiring when switching over to the JDM headlights? Have you installed the tails yet?
No modification needed if you have JDM Light harness for the headlamps
The difference in the headlamp is oddly the Turn signal is Dual Filament in USDM but we only use the brighter part of the bulb in LED headlamps anyways, Because its a dual filament bulb the socket on the headlamp is different, thats why the need for the JDM turn signal light harness. The other wire just sits there and does nothing. My guess as to why we have this USDM harness is maybe to keep it all the same for the headlights, the Halogen version of headlamp maybe uses the dimmer portion as parking lights is my guess.

Luckily me and my friend in Japan compared photos before we sent off the headlamps and figured out the signal light harness was different because we were thinking of holding onto our respective cables to maybe lighten the package weight.
Here's some comparison photos from that time before we sent the lights to eachother

This is the USDM light socket with three wires (only picture i grabbed, didnt take more)

This is the JDM with two wires only

JDM socket hole

As for the Taillamps, they were plug and play, only difference was the side indicator light does not exist.
kinda of boring so i didnt post any pictures of it lol

Last edited by specONE; 04-22-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 07:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

It's not showing the pictures again...sorry man. I love to see your pics.
Old 04-23-17, 10:07 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks so mucjmh better with the cleared corners. Wish i had a pair.
Old 04-23-17, 11:30 PM
Chrispies
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This probably doesn't matter too much since you're probably not driving through dark canyon roads every night. But the JDM headlights were manufactured for RHD vehicles, so the aim of the light from the driver's field of vision will be compromised compared to that of USDM LHD headlights.

They do give the front end a much cleaner look.

Last edited by Chrispies; 04-23-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 05:16 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Can you link me to you strut bar? thanks!
Old 04-24-17, 07:45 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Chrispies
This probably doesn't matter too much since you're probably not driving through dark canyon roads every night. But the JDM headlights were manufactured for RHD vehicles, so the aim of the light from the driver's field of vision will be compromised compared to that of USDM LHD headlights.

They do give the front end a much cleaner look.
i understand this well before doing this swap.
Ive had JDM RHD headlamps on my previous cars also
but actually headlamps are actually aimed higher on the passenger side always so that it would not blind oncoming traffic. So if anything it's more helpful for me if I was to drive on dark canyon roads but not helpful for oncoming traffic on dark canyon roads. Lol
Thanks for your concern though

Last edited by specONE; 04-24-17 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 08:41 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Can you link me to you strut bar? thanks!
i'll give you a part number, you can surely search
p/n: 983 540 A

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...A%26_sacat%3D0

Last edited by specONE; 10-29-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 04:10 PM
Xenosis32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice build! Have always been subscribed to this tread.

Are you able to direct me to where you sourced your JDM headlights+harness/module? I have been always wanting to change my Xenon headlights to LED headlights. This may help me pull the trigger (or maybe if you are selling your USDM ones haha)

Quick Reply: specONE Build Thread