Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

93 sc300 na-t re-build

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 08:36 PM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 93 sc300 na-t re-build

Hey guys update on my just purchased 93 SC300 NA-T automatic! I bought her from a member on here named chizz95. Has 94500 miles, been in a front end accident in 99 and had some rear end damage in 10 but has clean title. Vertex bodykit and whole car re-sprayed BASF custom dark grey. Bought 19x9.5 +15 offset Avid 1 AV10 wheels (Work Emotion Reps) on Nankang NS20 235/35R19 with nice stretch. Ebay GSP Godspeed T70, ebay mani, wastegate and JDM Sport intercooler. Custom exhaust and AEM wideband. No-name good sized radiator with electric fan and ATF cooler. Its got a Walbro 255 and Osidetiger rebuilt 660cc inj. TT 1.3mm headgasket and ARP head studs. It has a MAF delete and is running an old HKS VPC with MKIII 550 chip and APEXi SAFC II.

It was running really bad and the turbo was going quick and I had to do something about it. When I bought it the seller said that after he put the HKS VPC in and deleted the MAF it never really ran quite right and hesitated off idle at tip in and between shifts. However at higher rpm with over about 20% throttle the response was a little bit better. The valve cover was leaking so I replaced it and discovered a lot of oil and the spark plugs werent even tight. I bought NGK BKR7E plugs and gapped them to .28-.29 and tightened them properly. The harness was rewired due to damaged harness clips and installed replacement oil feed line for the turbo which sprung a leak because of its horrible location. Did synthetic oil change and coolant flush with the good stuff , It needed lower control arm bushings BAD so I did Prothane polyurethane bushings with ALL aluminum sleeves and new sway links which was a HUGE PITA holy crap!

NOW THE BIG UPDATE. As my solution for now I am upgrading my blown freeBay T70 turbo with a Borg Warner S366 66mm divided housing T4 .91 Ar and new PTP Turbo Blanket and having it converted back to MAF using a LS400 MAF with the SAFC II for fuel tuning for now til I straighten the rest of the car out and get a stand alone or attempt the TT ECU mod as AliSC3 advised. The car is being put together with help from Rosario Racing hes going over the whole car pretty much looking for things I need to fix (http://www.rosarioracing.com/ or snomanlex on here) hes really knowledgeable and a really nice guy! His GTE swapped SC is almost done and looks DOPE! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ting-over.html Hes running the same turbo as me but his cars engine looks 5 times as good ... ANYWAYS on to the pics hope everyone enjoys!

Old 07-20-13, 10:47 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of info, congrats on the new turbo purchase. As you know, the only issue you really have right now is the auto tranny. The S366 is no joke and can put down some serious power. I don't think your auto slushbox is going to last very long. I'm not sure how reliable that ebay wastegates is either. The car looks great though, nice paint job and wheels. I need to do my bushings and end links as well one of these days.
Old 07-21-13, 09:56 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats bro, and you're in good hands with Rosario Racing! Great dude! GL and keep us posted.

steve
Old 07-21-13, 10:00 AM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Lots of info, congrats on the new turbo purchase. As you know, the only issue you really have right now is the auto tranny. The S366 is no joke and can put down some serious power. I don't think your auto slushbox is going to last very long. I'm not sure how reliable that ebay wastegates is either. The car looks great though, nice paint job and wheels. I need to do my bushings and end links as well one of these days.
Yeah I plan on doing the Wastegate/MBC and BOV in the near future after the car is running good. Then coilovers later since its on ****ty cut springs and bad shocks. Then the auto slushbox has to go, I mean I have an aristo TT tranny but I rather just go R154 or the 350z tranny swap and LSD diff. Then comes a standalone as long the MAF and SAFC setup last until then. I'm gonna run fairly low boost for now. And btw the bushing were such PITA If you need any help lemme know, I went through hell to get those out.
Old 07-21-13, 12:11 PM
korito727
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is dope, I love the kit and color. Looks like youve got some good plans.
Old 07-21-13, 02:26 PM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Congrats bro, and you're in good hands with Rosario Racing! Great dude! GL and keep us posted.

steve
Definitely Steve, I know I'm in good hands. He seems like a really nice guy and hes done his own NA-T pushin like 500whp before his GTE swapped SC so I know hes been through this whole process before thats why I took it to him. Ill keep everyone posted, Im excited!

Originally Posted by korito727
this is dope, I love the kit and color. Looks like youve got some good plans.
Thanks korito, I like the color too, the paint is pretty good but def not perfect to say the least.

Ive been busy on our Porsche Club Drivers Ed race car me and my dad have been redoing as well. Its a 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo with 134k on it. Street wheels are 17" Porsche Boxster Twists and race wheels are 16" Stock Phone Dials with Toyo R888 DOT legal race compound tire. Its got Lindsey Racing Bypass Valve, Sunpro Boost Gauge, Lindsey Racing MBC, Lindsey Racing Dual Port Wastegate, Hawk Race Pads. Getting ready to go to Wakins Glen International for the Event next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails 93 sc300 na-t re-build-951twists.jpg  
Old 07-21-13, 02:38 PM
kapetajr
Pole Position

That color is beautiful. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 07-22-13, 05:13 PM
korito727
Driver School Candidate

The Porsche is sweet too! In for track vids
Old 07-23-13, 02:05 PM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Default More progress

So a little more progress done on the car yesterday. He took off my POS Godspeed Turbo and had the oil drain line disintegrate on him. So I need a new oil feed AND return line now I wasnt sure if I had a divided twin-scroll T4 manifold or an open T4 so I just bought a twin-scoll BW S366 thinking I could switch to divided or get one of those trick quick spool valves if necessary. So good news is my manifold is divided so im all good to go...bad news is there was a stud missing entirely from the manifold and there was an exhaust leak at the turbo. Anyways the turbos coming on Thursday along with the blanket so im hoping by maybe next monday or tuesday there will be some big progress. Heres a couple progress pics along with one meme I found...couldnt resist lol
Attached Thumbnails 93 sc300 na-t re-build-sc300nat-003.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-sc300nat-005.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-sc300nat-004.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-sc300nat-001.png  
Old 08-01-13, 07:19 PM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Smile More Updates!

Got back from Watkins Glen in the 944 turbo early this week, car ran strong except a few minor hiccups. We blew a P/S line but we went manual for the weekend and was very interesting! Anyways heres a couple videos of me ripping around at the track.
http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/Se...65CFC.mp4.html
http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/Se...5CA5C.mp4.html
I would post some more pics but this thread isnt about the porsche...

SO ONTO UPDATES ON THE $C!
Turbo is now mounted with some modifications to the previous setup. The spark plugs were fouled so they are now replaced, the oil lines and fittings were junk so new ones were in order as well. The downpipe needed to be adapted to the turbo so we got a new vband assembly for it. The final thing was the intercooler piping was different size and needed a 90 degree reducer from 3" to 2.5". Everything seems to be coming together ok so far and hopefully in a week or two I should have her back! PICS:
Attached Thumbnails 93 sc300 na-t re-build-c3-nat-002.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-c3-nat-004.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-c3-nat-005.jpg  
Old 08-01-13, 09:13 PM
KPLC
Driver School Candidate

That's a ton of work, man! Car does look awesome though.
Old 08-02-13, 04:31 PM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Default More pics

A few more pics from today. Just mocking up the turbo and intercooler piping, the LS400 MAF is obviously not mounted yet. Jason's trying to figure out the best way to route the upper pipe so its not touching the turbo if possible. Also were still waiting on the downpipe flange clamp to get here. Any constructive input from fellow NA-Ters would be great!
Attached Thumbnails 93 sc300 na-t re-build-c3-na-t-002.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-c3-na-t-001.jpg   93 sc300 na-t re-build-c3-na-t-003.jpg  
Old 08-29-13, 08:35 PM
SC3NAT
Rookie

Default Update! Car is back!

Hey everyone! So I finally got the car back from my buddy Jason at Rosario Racing! Car seems to be holding up well. He spent quite alot of time working on it and cleaning up the little things it needed as if it were his car which was really cool! Super nice guy and very reasonable with his labor pricing. Anyways the BW S366 is on and kickin! He had to make a custom intake manifold spacer to move the throttle body away from the exh housing on the turbo but even still the turbo blanket I bought wont fit. Bad news is we think the eBay wastegate is not doin so well. Jason said he couldnt get the boost to go over 5 psi. He deleted the VPC and added the LS400 maf i got off my buddy to help tune the car until I get some more cash for a better setup. He had it dyno'd at 5psi and made 285whp and 247wtq. The turbo def spools up later than the other turbo but thats to be expected.

ANYWAYS he said that he tuned the SAFC II and it was running well on the dyno but when I got there he said he disconnected the battery and lost the memory in the ECU and it wasnt running as well now. I drove it back 2+ hours home hoping that it would run a little better but it was still running too rich. Then the following day it was running lean which didnt make sense to me. Of course I know running a piggyback on a NA ecu isnt gonna run perfect by any means but i wanna at least get it to a point that I dont have to mess with the SAFC everytime I drive it. It still hesitates a bit between shifts but not half as bad as with the VPC on it as well. Ive been messing with the SAFC trying to get fairly consistent AFs but ive never tuned a car using this kind of system so im not to sure how to do it. Its hard to tune it while you drive obviously and the fact that its an automatic doesnt help either.

All in all I spent about $700 on the turbo/blanket, $165 for oil lines/vband+misc, $120 for new platinum plugs/vibrant reducer,$125 for the custom intake manifold spacer and $675 for labor on the turbo/maf install w/ other misc maintenance and $75 for the dyno. Now that im in the hole already for like $1900 I need to get it running decent as it is. Anyone lend any advice on getting the NA Ecu to run ok with the LS400 MAF, 660cc inj, and the SAFC II?

Now on to the pics!

Last edited by SC3NAT; 08-29-13 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 09:29 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

so very jealous! nice build man
Old 08-29-13, 09:47 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

why not go with a FFIM

Quick Reply: 93 sc300 na-t re-build