Steve K>
Old 09-11-16, 05:45 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
Why would you delete the ABS?

Steve K>
I was having issues with the system.....and its not very uncommon some cars actually were never equipped with ABS.

Also my primary focus to race my car on a track......and if you look at all race cars almost none of them use ABS.....it gives you a firmer pedal feel and gives you more control over braking system......take a bit to get used to but I dont regret one bit removing it.
Old 09-12-16, 05:54 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I have been considering doing the CD009 swap.....since gearing is really close to V160 and the prices are insane now for the V160.....and brand new CD009 can be had for around $2000

Check the comparison between Tremec (T56) Magnum and CD009 . Do your research before you decide . The T56 Magnum has the 2.66 gearing which is compatible to the TT Auto differential or SC400 differential.

Check my posts on this page of Ali's thread :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...thread-17.html
Old 09-13-16, 11:44 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Check the comparison between Tremec (T56) Magnum and CD009 . Do your research before you decide . The T56 Magnum has the 2.66 gearing which is compatible to the TT Auto differential or SC400 differential.

Check my posts on this page of Ali's thread :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...thread-17.html
Thanks Gerry......weighing my options to see.....maybe hold off and see how the adaptor development continues....

Please be sure to share as much info as possible about the t56 magnum swap you are doing
Old 09-13-16, 01:18 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

There is really not much work or bruhaha on the Tremec Magnum setup on the MKIV and SC. If you use the right bellhousing and shifter relocation kit , the transmission falls exactly where the V160 is. There is no guessing game whether it will fit or not . No tunnel beating . All you have to decide is what clutch do you really need for your application. Put it in just like the way you install your R154 trans and clutch... no stupid adapters to make one part work or fit with the other. Joel had done all the hard work for us MKIV and SC guys . Thanks to him.

Here are stock pictures which I lifted online so you will see that all you have to do is bolt one part to the other .....

bellhousing for our MKIV and SCs
Name:  MagnumBell_zps6dekqxjz.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  62.7 KB

shifter relocated for our MKIVs and newer SCs with tripod W58 ....remember older 5speed SCs have their shifter located nearer the dash.
Name:  magnumshifter_zpscw3qgpse.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  11.6 KB

the T56 Magnum
Name:  magnumtrans_zpswuheortm.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  8.0 KB

bolted together... bolt the bellhousing to the T56 Magnum , take out the old shifter and bolt in the new shifter , get the right clutch for your application and mate it to your engine.
Name:  magnumcomplete_zpsgk9aogms.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  165.8 KB

Truly , Joel from Grannas Racing is not really making a lot of money on these so getting them from him with all the help and advices he provides is all worth it. Besides , there is very minor trimming on the Tremec casing which they will do already but no work necessary on your MKIV or SC tunnels.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-13-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 02:19 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Looks like a very solid option....I am considering it as well....can be had for around $5000 or so and then add choice of clutch...

Last edited by CatManD3W; 09-13-16 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 04:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Check the website with that bellhousing .. with many other options . Do more research and confirm what you read or hear. Much better if you talk to Joel or people who have actual experience with the transmission if you cannot drive one with the said transmission before even making any decision on which way to go. BE INFORMED so you can make a wise decision and you don't regret later.
Old 09-13-16, 07:23 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Check the website with that bellhousing .. with many other options . Do more research and confirm what you read or hear. Much better if you talk to Joel or people who have actual experience with the transmission if you cannot drive one with the said transmission before even making any decision on which way to go. BE INFORMED so you can make a wise decision and you don't regret later.
Thanks Gerry....Grannas racing is actually really close to my house....only about a 2 hr drive......even closer for me if I go back home to visit family.....I might have to plan a trip back home and stop on the way....

I will give Joel a call tomorrow and talk with him.
Old 09-14-16, 04:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It definitely looks like a solid option without a lot of guess work etc... I think its caught a lot of peoples attention lately.
Old 09-14-16, 07:38 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
It definitely looks like a solid option without a lot of guess work etc... I think its caught a lot of peoples attention lately.
Yes and considering they use the tremec t56 is used on a lot of high horsepower cars.....i.e Hellcat, ZR1, and ACR Viper.....and we will make no where the amount of torque those cars will.....the tremec t56 is rated at 700 ft lbs of torque which is why they put them in the above mentioned cars. Those are not cheap cars to say the least.

I spoke with Joel today from Grannas racing...and he also mentioned that he is trying to get a bellhousing and shifter sourced locally so it will bring some of the cost down...

But at $3000 for tranny, $600 for bellhousing, and $500 for shifter relocation...isnt a bad price compared to second hand V160 pulling around $6500-7500

IMO it is the way to go as it is put together correctly....not a "hack" job......quality outweighs cost anyday

Last edited by CatManD3W; 09-14-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 07:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Yes and considering they use the tremec t56 is used on a lot of high horsepower cars.....i.e Hellcat, ZR1, and ACR Viper.....and we will make no where the amount of torque those cars will.....the tremec t56 is rated at 700 ft lbs of torque which is why they put them in the above mentioned cars. Those are not cheap cars to say the least.

I spoke with Joel today from Grannas racing...and he also mentioned that he is trying to get a bellhousing and shifter sourced locally so it will bring some of the cost down...

But at $3000 for tranny, $600 for bellhousing, and $500 for shifter relocation...isnt a bad price compared to second hand V160 pulling around $6500-7500

IMO it is the way to go as it is put together correctly....not a "hack" job......quality outweighs cost anyday
I am surprised it's rated at only 700 ft lbs...

Doesn't a bone stock Hellcat come with more than that? So they stuck a trans in it that can barely support the factory power level? What about all these Hellcats that are modified to have more around 1000whp? Do they send the trans out to get built?

I imagine at nearly 4500lbs most Hellcats need some mods to stay competitive with lighter weight vehicles at the drag strip.
Old 09-15-16, 08:03 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I am surprised it's rated at only 700 ft lbs...

Doesn't a bone stock Hellcat come with more than that? So they stuck a trans in it that can barely support the factory power level? What about all these Hellcats that are modified to have more around 1000whp? Do they send the trans out to get built?

I imagine at nearly 4500lbs most Hellcats need some mods to stay competitive with lighter weight vehicles at the drag strip.
We are talking torque here man....not HP....but the tremec t56 (Tremec TR-6060 ) is rated at 700 ft lbs.....which is very conservative..it can handle a lot more power than advertised.......keep in mind v160 was rated at under 500 ft lbs...

You can get a built one that will handle over 900+ft lbs.....about a $1500 upgrade over the base tremec t56 (Tremec TR-6060 )

Last edited by CatManD3W; 09-15-16 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 08:24 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

And in general auto manufacturers rate things like this with a significant safety factor, and also rates it at it's weakest link (say 6th gear is the weakest link). So it wouldn't seem unreasonable to assume it can live through a bit more than what it's rated at.
Old 09-15-16, 08:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Let me help a bit on terminologies cause I don't want people reading this be confused and one day they see a T56 and it is cheap , grab it and think it is what they need.

The T56 , TR6060 and Magnum are 3 different transmissions. They were all made by Tremec and all the three have different specs or capabilities. Let me make clear of that. The T56 transmission was the most common found in domestic production cars like vettes , viper and others. Then there was the upgrade .. the TR6060 came out. Then some of these cars where being built with more power and torque so the Magnum was manufactured as an aftermarket option. Many of the T56 equipped cars where being converted to Magnum thus the name T56 Magnum was the term commonly used but are two different transmissions . I understand, if I am not mistaken, there was even nothing in common between them.

It is the Magnum (commonly called T56 Magnum because of those T56 conversions to Magnum) that is rated 700 ft.lbs of torque. Even that Magnum has different kinds . They differ on their gear ratio and length depending on where it is used so be careful in grabbing one just because you read or hear .. oh it is the sh?t right now since the V160 is gone. You can get the Magnum built to handle +900 ft.lbs of torque which is the Level 5 build from Tick Performance.

I hope that clears the nomenclature . It is almost impossible to find a Magnum equipped car like vettes in a junkyard or rare to find the transmission for sale second hand just because people who has them know their value. It is like you won't find a MKIV in the junkyard and people who has the V160 6 speed transmission know their value that is why hard to find them.
Old 09-18-16, 08:47 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

So I am curious what's gonna happen to the V160 rebuild market. Do you guys think some companies will come out with aftermarket upgrades and replacement parts at a reasonable price? If a rebuild costs $10k then forget it lol.

I cannot believe Toyota would discontinue that trans. There are too many Supras running then for nobody to step up and take care of issues for all the people that already have this transmission.

Quick Reply: CatManD3W SC300 Ongoing Build...