Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

IS-F performance build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 11:33 PM
BigReade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F performance build

So I have so many questions regarding this, as is this will be my first Lexus build. In all honesty, I don't know much at all about Lexus, I know the general direction of where I want to go, but from what I've been reading, there might be some roadblocks in my way. So I'm hoping that someone here may be able to shed some light upon it for me.

After driving my wife's is350, I fell in love with Lexus and the is series. I've been looking for a car to buy that I can build for the TX2K event, along with the Texas Invitational. A friend of mine owns what's arguably the baddest GT-R in the world, and while I'm not trying to make it to the level he's at, I WOULD like to break 1k whp. I guess my first question is, is there anybody known around the country as being THAT guy/shop when it comes to Lexus Performance? My next question is, everything I'm reading online is saying that these card are not tunable, and that they can retune themselves when you do basic bolt on mods, I'm however, looking to do a little more than basic bolt ons. So any feedback, advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-13, 12:17 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

First off, welcome to Club Lexus! Truthfully, there have been numerous attempts at cracking the ECU, and I don't think any company has come close to creating something tuner-friendly when it comes to the IS F. It doesn't compare to the tuning capabilities of a GTR or Toyota's Supra with the 2JZ. Personally, it's pretty fast from the factory. I know people and tuners want to push the car to its limits, but the IS F has been out for 5+ years without anyone really being able to tune it.

I do notice that you're in AZ, and one of the few header options for the F is manufactured there at PPE Engineering. But that and an intake and exhaust are the few bolt ons available that still yield a good amount of hp, but nowhere near what you're aiming for. Nitrous might be another direction to try. I'm not too familiar with that route, but I know a few members here have documented their efforts by installing nitrous systems in their Fs.

Best of luck!
Old 06-28-13, 01:59 AM
BigReade
Driver School Candidate

It just blows my mind that nobody has cracked it yet. I read a story about a guy, I think his name is Brian Fox, he did an is-f turbo project, the car was a crazy orange color, and Im wondering how he was able to get the fuel, timing and everything else, correct on it. Althoigh I did notice hes only running like 6psi, and maybe thats why he's on such low boost, because anything higher and he can't get the tune. From what I understand, the Lexus ecm will retune itself to accommodate any changes from the bolt on stuff. However, 6psi is just not where I'm trying to be, lol. I'm looking at 30+, and upwards around 40, if If I can handle it. This is very disheartening, as I was completely sold on the idea of having this car in Texas next spring, I really have my heart set on this car.
Old 06-28-13, 07:11 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigReade
It just blows my mind that nobody has cracked it yet. I read a story about a guy, I think his name is Brian Fox, he did an is-f turbo project, the car was a crazy orange color, and Im wondering how he was able to get the fuel, timing and everything else, correct on it. Althoigh I did notice hes only running like 6psi, and maybe thats why he's on such low boost, because anything higher and he can't get the tune. From what I understand, the Lexus ecm will retune itself to accommodate any changes from the bolt on stuff. However, 6psi is just not where I'm trying to be, lol. I'm looking at 30+, and upwards around 40, if If I can handle it. This is very disheartening, as I was completely sold on the idea of having this car in Texas next spring, I really have my heart set on this car.
I think you may have to end up doing an engine swap and or run a full stand alone system. Maybe a built twin turbo 2jz would be easier to do than try and build tune and turbo the 2UR. We also dont know how much the transmission can really take so you are venturing into uncharted grounds.

Good luck and please keep us updated with progress you make.
Old 06-28-13, 08:03 AM
fyeah
Driver School Candidate

Are you saying that the F will tune itself to bolt-ons? Or the F will automatically reset itself to stock tune, making the bolt-ons worthless?

Sorry I know that's confusing, I tried finding a good way to ask that question.
Old 06-28-13, 09:58 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fyeah
Are you saying that the F will tune itself to bolt-ons? Or the F will automatically reset itself to stock tune, making the bolt-ons worthless?

Sorry I know that's confusing, I tried finding a good way to ask that question.
you will get gains from bolts. I have full bolts and am making 407whp
Old 06-28-13, 11:52 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

A friend of mine owns what's arguably the baddest GT-R in the world, and while I'm not trying to make it to the level he's at, I WOULD like to break 1k whp.
In an ISF?

No.

Well, I guess I should have been a little more helpful than that. First off, welcome to the forum. Those of us that have purchased an ISF did so fully understanding that it is not the fastest or most mod-friendly car for the money. It's a great blend of performance, luxury and reliability. It is not the car for someone trying to do a high HP build though, not unless they have a lot of patience, a lot of money, and are willing to be a guinea pig. The one guy on here that was really doing something different (MrSlay) ended up abandoning the project when his car got flooded out.

Everyone else has been seeing around 400whp with full bolt ons, and somewhere closer to (or north of) 500whp with NO2. The lack of reliable engine management has severely limited the forced induction options of this car. A few rogue shops have slapped turbos on the car and made some power, but they're all playing with fire. If you don't care about possibly blowing up a $25K engine, then you can find someone willing to fab up a turbo kit for you. This is nothing like building a Supra, Evo or GTR though. You need to look elsewhere if 1000whp is your goal.
Old 06-28-13, 12:12 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
I think you may have to end up doing an engine swap and or run a full stand alone system. Maybe a built twin turbo 2jz would be easier to do than try and build tune and turbo the 2UR. We also dont know how much the transmission can really take so you are venturing into uncharted grounds.
+1

Even if we are surprised and a tune emerges soon, I don't think it will be a true engine management system which is necessary for the power you are talking about.

I was just looking at TX2K13 vids last night dreaming of being there one day with the F but I don't think I'd want to play with only 400whp on tap...

Here's an idea... LS2 Twin Turbo Swap. Jump to 2:00 mark for specifics.

Last edited by Meanstreak; 06-28-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 01:00 PM
BigReade
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all of the feedback. Although it is disheartening to know I'm not gonna be able to build this like I was hoping, lol. I guess its back to the drawing board for now.
Old 06-28-13, 01:11 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should go for it! 1000whp isn't too crazy on a 5 liter. I'd imagine a standalone would be the least of your worries when comparing to the internals, trans and rear. No one knows the limits of the car because no one has tested it. SOMEONE has to do it! haha
Old 06-28-13, 01:22 PM
BigReade
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm not worried about making the power, I know I can get it. I'm just worried about being able to get it tuned. And finding someone who can build the trans for me. As far as the bolt ons go, what would you guys recommend as far as "brand name"? Our is350 has the F-sport intake and I was happy with it, but what do you think as for the is-f?
Old 06-28-13, 01:25 PM
BigReade
Driver School Candidate

Is there any shops that are known for being "bad asses" when it comes to IS-F builds? What I'm saying is, I know T1 Race Developments are the go to guys for GT-R's (and I can say that first hand, as my buddy just picked up oneof their builds and its arguably the baddest GT-R in the country), I'd love to learn I'd a shop like that who's known to be the go to guys for Lexus builds.
Old 06-28-13, 01:27 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

JoeZ intake/HPS intake, ppe/sikky headers and Joez, borla, iss forged exhausts.
Old 06-28-13, 01:38 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind doing a motor swap to solve the problem. I can understand that we already know the power potential of the LS and 2JZ but the 2UR is not the limiting factor as of yet. The issue is tuning and by doing a motor swap you still have to go to a stand alone and retain CAN BUS functionality. Once you overcome that why do you need another motor to move forward? At that point why not start working on making power with the 2UR?
Once you get to that point then just mate a different transmission to the motor. I don't think the rear end will be much of an issue. It is much like the Supra rear end and there are LSDs on the market already. The idea is to get the 2UR to make power.
I'm am car builder and not a EMS tuner so I'm no guru on this but I think a full standalone or piggyback and retaining CAN BUS function can be done and will be done at some point.
From there eliminating the GDI and the 8-speed transmission is possible.
Old 06-28-13, 02:57 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Is there any shops that are known for being "bad asses" when it comes to IS-F builds? What I'm saying is, I know T1 Race Developments are the go to guys for GT-R's (and I can say that first hand, as my buddy just picked up oneof their builds and its arguably the baddest GT-R in the country), I'd love to learn I'd a shop like that who's known to be the go to guys for Lexus builds.
JE Import Performance in Baltimore has worked pretty extensively with the ISF, but pretty much only with bolt on parts. Again, because the aftermarket for this car is so limited and the ECU so "uncrackable" there really aren't any shops out there doing crazy ISF builds. Some people have gotten twin turbo setups to work, but they have never made it to marketable production because they aren't safe without some form of engine management. That's where you need to start to really dive in to the the 2UR. There's a shop in Japan that is supposedly developing an ECU that can be tuned and work in the US market, but nothing has come out yet.

As much as Toyota performance fans are hoping the ISF is the next Supra, it just isn't, not from an aftermarket standpoint. We STILL don't even have an ISF in the 10s yet.

Quick Reply: IS-F performance build