Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

The Don - Just another Turbo Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 12:22 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by puff
If I read this correctly it sounds like you were running 16psi on a stock head gasket which is the number one no no on any na-t build. That would just be a ticking time bomb. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I had a 2mm Cometic head gasket and ARP head studs.

It now has a GTE head gasket.
Old 08-22-13, 03:36 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I knew the vvti rods where the weak point on our blocks but I didnt think the pistons would be also. I have a set of non vvti rods sitting in my garage with my spare block. I just may swap them on when its time.
Old 08-22-13, 03:47 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Just to be clear, it was a rod that snapped. Yes, the piston also shattered but that was probably from crashing into the head at high velocity.

This is what I found on the road.

That's bits of a rod, piston, the wrist pin and a rod bolt.
Old 08-22-13, 03:54 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear Steve. I would still have faith in Jeff even after this, he's a great guy and has done many many builds over years and is #1 man to go to in DFW for GE/GTE builds IMO.

This does go to show though that you can never be to cautious. I always said when I would do my engine build that I would prefer to get everything replaced so that nothing can pop up out of no where. It's a comfort thing knowing that all of my parts are fresh and new.
Old 08-22-13, 05:48 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree Jeff is the go to guy for Turbo swaps. very knowledgable

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-23-13, 09:45 AM
cruss
Driver School Candidate

what exhaust are you running steve
Old 08-23-13, 10:43 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

This one.

It's a cheap knockoff of a GReddy or HKS, from what I understand. It sounds great. Heluva lot better than the $$$$$ JDM OMG SO RARE UNOBTANIUM Integral Kobe exhaust I have on my Roadster.
Old 08-25-13, 09:35 AM
siksc16
Rookie

Nice build.. I have been running GTE internals in my GE block for almost 2 years now with no issues. Real peace of mind. Quick question, I was wondering if you had a opportunity to hear your exhaust when you were naturally aspirated? I just picked up a new daily Gs and was looking for a new exhaust without spending $1200. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-26-13, 07:58 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by siksc16
Quick question, I was wondering if you had a opportunity to hear your exhaust when you were naturally aspirated? I just picked up a new daily Gs and was looking for a new exhaust without spending $1200. Thank you for your time.
Nope. I had a stock exhaust on the car when I dropped it off for the NA-T setup. I would imagine it sounds great, though. At idle and low throttle input, it has a really nice, muted, low growl to it. Not raspy or buzzy in the slightest.
Old 08-26-13, 08:15 AM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All hail the Sport Design turbo's! Should have been factory haha. What turbo are you on currently? I need to go with something more spool happy. Added points for having same year as well. Yours is a lot less ragged though.

That exhaust. I've posted videos of pretty much every combination you could think of in the sound clip thread lol. Sounds great up until about 4300 rpm then gets raspy on N/A (like any exhaust setup on this car). Quite a bit louder without the turbo also..
Old 08-26-13, 08:19 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Revive
What turbo are you on currently? I need to go with something more spool happy.
Comp Turbo CT4-6265
Old 08-26-13, 08:24 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

In addition; Jeff does AWESOME work for the 2jz. He's building my drift motor setup on my SC which is more intense than these builds. his GS "F" is built to the max. He does a lot of GE block with GE & GTE VVTI heads utilizing GTE pistons and rods or aftermarket units. He also gauges how you will be driving the car and your experience with boosted engines. TRUST IN JEFF
Old 08-26-13, 03:48 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer300
In addition; Jeff does AWESOME work for the 2jz. He's building my drift motor setup on my SC which is more intense than these builds. his GS "F" is built to the max. He does a lot of GE block with GE & GTE VVTI heads utilizing GTE pistons and rods or aftermarket units. He also gauges how you will be driving the car and your experience with boosted engines. TRUST IN JEFF
So you my new partner huh? Didn't know I was runnin a daycare center..
Old 11-11-13, 04:10 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

So this is about to happen...
Old 11-11-13, 04:14 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Some people may have heard of my Miata. His name is Rooster. This is not his build thread.

Rooster was a complete car in my head before I even started him. I had a plan and I've been executing against it since I pulled him in my driveway and took a wrench to him, literally, within 30 seconds after arriving in Dallas from Tampa, Florida.

The Don is not that.

The Don is my daily driver. A 2003 Lexus GS 300 Sport Design edition. I bought him in January of 2009 - just after we had our first child and just before I took my old black NB in for a brand new paint job. The need for a more child-friendly car and not to be daily driving my freshly painted NB drove the purchase decision. He has every option available from Lexus in 2003. The window sticker read in excess of $45,000 when the car was new. He's a nice ride. And I have no idea what he's going to turn into.

I've already dropped him on Tanabe springs with the addition of 18mm roll center adjusters at the front. The result is a raked stance with the front wheels tucked nicely into their wells.

He also wears 19" wheels front and rear. 8.5" width in the front and 9.5" width in the rear. 245 and 275mm wide rubber, respectively. It's a nice, aggressive-looking setup that fits without rolling or shaving fenders.

Well, a week from now I'll be dropping him off with Jeff Tsai at Performance Dynamix for a little bit of serious surgery.

Two weeks from now I'll be picking up my car from Jeff with a NA-T setup making as near 400whp as is safely possible for a reliable daily driver. Compared to the roughly 180whp it makes stock, that will be a nice improvement.

So...I guess I'll keep notes on the project here. Like I said, I've got no idea where this is going but I have a feeling that the NA-T setup isn't going to be the end of it.
I feel like this is a recommendation letter for me... in a weird personified context.

Quick Reply: The Don - Just another Turbo Lexus