Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Looks beautiful Steve.
Thanks! Appreciate all the feedback.
Old 03-20-13, 01:07 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Coil packs cannot arrive soon enough. The car is such a tease to drive right now. I really can't get in boost without crazy misfires from the boost blowing the spark out. The crazy fireball that the car shoots after that is fun, though. Hopefully they'll arrive in the next day or so. I'd love to get it all finished up over the weekend. That is....I'd love for Jeff to get it all finished up over the weekend

Last edited by mk2tmr2; 03-21-13 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 05:19 PM
x83slider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally a wolf in sheeps clothing and I like that. keep it going
Old 04-11-13, 08:43 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Jeff was kind enough to post some pics of my car to his build thread. So I'm stealing them and putting them here

After the drop-off. Jeff likes to multi-task. A few other projects working at the same time.

I don't think I ever posted a "before" pic. Not much to see here.

This was the same day I dropped the car off.

The head, back from being decked and vacuum tested.

And wrapping it up. Finishing up the IC piping and ECU wiring. I would polish my Sport Design HID lights, but I have some aftermarket projectors that I'm going to try out first. If I think they look to ricey I'll go back to stock with a fresh polish. Or maybe retrofit something into the OEM SD housings.

Did I mention that all this only took him around 2 weeks? Amazing.
Old 04-11-13, 09:40 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks great!
Old 04-14-13, 03:02 PM
vbieds
Driver

Amazing work. Great ride!
Old 08-14-13, 03:48 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

I can't believe I didn't check out this thread steve! Soon there will be another na-t gs300 roaming dfw.
Old 08-14-13, 04:21 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trevstuh
I can't believe I didn't check out this thread steve! Soon there will be another na-t gs300 roaming dfw.
Yesss! We need to get together for some hooning and pics some time.

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I've got GTE internals in a refreshed GE block with a GTE head gasket now. Still running 16psi off the wastegate. Fully built transmission.

I think in the fall I'll throw meth and a boost controller on it and make some real power Needs some suspension work, first. Pretty much all of the bushings are original and in sorry condition. I also need legit dampers and springs. The Tanabe springs on my leaky OEM shocks are not cutting it.
Old 08-22-13, 04:52 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

nice build thread.. Any updated pics?
Old 08-22-13, 07:53 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Not really. The car looks the same as it does in the first page of this thread....just with a hint of intercooler behind the lower grille

One updated bit of info: the car now has GTE internals in a refreshed GE block. The stock GE rods didn't like the power, apparently, and one of them broke - taking my block and head with it. So now the engine is much fresher and stronger. More boost and meth injection will come sometime in the future.

I am also planning on plasti-dipping the car Anthracite Grey Metallic sometime in the fall.
Old 08-22-13, 08:20 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

That Plasti dip would be nice...
Old 08-22-13, 09:12 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2

One updated bit of info: the car now has GTE internals in a refreshed GE block. The stock GE rods didn't like the power, apparently, and one of them broke - taking my block and head with it. So now the engine is much fresher and stronger. More boost and meth injection will come sometime in the future.
I always say people never post when the bad stuff happens in their build threads. So your initial na-t set up lasted less than 6 months before your motor took a dump? I wonder how many people are still impressed by these 24 & 48 hour na-t builds. You must be one loyal customer.

Last edited by puff; 08-22-13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 10:46 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I am a loyal customer. Thanks for recognizing.

If you want the full story: when Jeff tore my engine down after it threw a rod he found that the crank pulley bolt was completely stripped. The Lexus dealership that did my timing belt at 90k miles ham-fisted it and there were only about 5 functional threads on the bolt. I use it as a paperweight on my desk now.

As a result of the crank pulley bolt not being installed properly, the harmonic dampener was likely not torqued to spec, and probably the cause of quite a bit of additional stress on the rods.

The failure was in no way due to my "48 hour na-t build". It was actually a 2-week build on tested and true parts by someone with a track record for reliable builds. The car was running just under 16psi and never showed me more than 10.2:1 AFRs at full boost and high load. I saw the piston tops myself - not a single pock-mark due to detonation.

Thanks for your contribution to my thread.

Old 08-22-13, 11:10 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
I haven't updated this thread in a while. I've got GTE internals in a refreshed GE block with a GTE head gasket now. Still running 16psi off the wastegate. Fully built transmission.
If I read this correctly it sounds like you were running 16psi on a stock head gasket which is the number one no no on any na-t build. That would just be a ticking time bomb. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: The Don - Just another Turbo Lexus