Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

Single turbo IS300 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 10:46 PM
dexlex2002
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gl luck with the fuel set up. I had a walbro intank with a 044 inline aswell....man that **** was loud!!!!!lol My tuner had the 044 set to come on at 10psi but it ran into alot of problems. Over time the in tank walbro burned out because it was working too hard to push throught the 044. I eventually got fed up and sold the 044 and went with two new walbros intank.
Old 09-25-11, 09:27 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well seems the 044 drains once side of the tank even with the factory tank balancer still in place. WEIRD! I have to pull the fuse for the 044 and I can run on just the in-tank pump until I re-fuel.

Got the wiring fininalized, and just buttoning up everything else. Custom one piece driveline with larger tubing and slightly stronger joints. I still have to mount the transcoolers, which I will do tomorrow night.

Car starts up and drives, Now I need to get a full tank of E85 and head up to the dyno. I plan on this Tuesday night. I will post some vids sometime this week.

Old 09-25-11, 05:40 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice bro! i see you got the wiring down pack , wow i like how you did the wiring clean stuff.

Who made that Driveshaft if you don't mind me asking? congrat on getting things working like they should.
Old 09-25-11, 06:35 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Local guy did the driveline. He has been making them for me for the last 10 years. Good prices too. Believe it or not, I have made the last 5 drivelines on my custom conversions, one of which has seen 900+rwhp and 140mph with almost no vibration, but on customer stuff I don't want the liability.
Old 09-26-11, 05:14 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I got you thanks i will be sending a Pm !

Last edited by 99SC42; 09-26-11 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-28-11, 09:45 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

So got on the Dyno last night. We were impressed with the numbers up until past 15psi.

We made around 580RWHP at 15psi and 605RWHP at 30psi. Stupid VVTI!!!! There really is no documentation on setting up the VVTI on an AEM V2 and we just couldn't get it working. After I find someone who took some video I will get that posted up.

Anbody deal with VVTI on the AEM V2, I need help.
Old 09-28-11, 10:25 AM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Just ditch the VVTI and get some 272's for it, you'll be much happier
You should move one of the water lines to the turbo, I would think it's not getting any flow through it with both lines on the neck like that.
Old 09-28-11, 10:50 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Probably going to ditch the VVTI head and trigger all together. The crank trigger is causing some other issues and I just want to get rid of it.

The coolant flow to the turbo actually works. The pressure difference is still there.
Old 09-28-11, 03:07 PM
dexlex2002
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
So got on the Dyno last night. We were impressed with the numbers up until past 15psi.

We made around 580RWHP at 15psi and 605RWHP at 30psi. Stupid VVTI!!!! There really is no documentation on setting up the VVTI on an AEM V2 and we just couldn't get it working. After I find someone who took some video I will get that posted up.

Anbody deal with VVTI on the AEM V2, I need help.
is this on pump gas?
Old 09-28-11, 09:20 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

I can't remember the last time I tuned on pump gas.

I run E85 in pretty much everything.
Old 09-29-11, 01:20 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought the coolant for the turbo needed to flow from a suction to a outlet from the water pump. Basically have the water pump pushing water through the chra to make the most of the cooling. That's usually how I set mine up. I'm guessing you're just relying on the thermal/heat siphoning effect only?

What do you need to know about the VVTi for the AEM? I've done a few of them on the EMSv1, haven't had time to screw around with the v2 yet. I'll be getting around to setting it up when I revive my white car and get it back on the road after about 1.5 years lol.

Project looks good.
Old 09-29-11, 06:28 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

In fluid dynamics flow cannot occur unless there is a pressure difference. That means in the water neck, there is a pressure difference at any given two points no matter how close.

The question would be if the pressure difference is enough to overcome any friction in the water lines that go to the turbo. That in addition to the convection, it should deliver enough flow to do a little cooling. What I hear about BB turbos is the water cooling is petty much still just an option.

The reason I didn't put it on the lower water neck is because I would have had to remove the pump housing in order to weld on a fitting. If I put it on the lower water neck pre-thermostat, that could possibly cause a heating problem in the winter time. There would be a good deal of water that will always be able to bypass the thermostat into the radiator through the turbo.

If the motor ever has to come out(not by me) and the owner wants to me to weld on another fitting on the pump housing...I will do it.

As for the VVTI, I just need to get it to active. I can't even tune it if I can't even get it to turn on. I can get it to go into a PWM cycle while the engine is stopped, but not while running.
Old 09-29-11, 07:19 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

i think majority of the people running aem on the IS300 or the GS300 are running the stock ecu to control , so they are running the aem as a piggyback.
You may wanna talk to JR on supraforums his sn on sf is delsolid he is an AEM engineer, and he has a VVTi motor in his car.
gl
Old 09-29-11, 08:17 AM
TeckniX
Driver School Candidate

Completely random but how do you like your 'projector' lights. Noticed you had the ebay style lights, just curious on the light output.

Car's looking really good though - Hope you get the VVTi figured out, as most have said there's a good amount of power to be gained from it.
Old 09-29-11, 09:40 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Thanks I will contact him.

Tecknix, not sure what I think about the halo's, that was the customers choice and he still needs to order some HID's since his were lost/broken. Since we don't have lights in them, we don't know how good the lenses are. I assume they are pretty good.

Quick Reply: Single turbo IS300 build