Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 01:34 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Stock motor and tranny are separated. The stock flywheel and TQ Converter are removed. Getting ever closer...

Ryan
Old 04-06-07, 01:39 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
On the late model 1UZ, the rods are much weaker, the heads flow much better, The VVTI is much more difficult to tune. IMHO, get a 96, or earlier, Turbo it, and add the body parts to look like a 97+...

Ryan
I'm with Ryan on this one, even doing a 97 complicates things. The newer you go the more emissions you have to deal with and Ryan is right on the Later 98 and up Rods are a compromise you don’t want for boosted applications.
Old 04-06-07, 02:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
One of my favourite CL threads!!
Probably the longest one to.. Looking forward to the pics and thr reveal..
Old 04-07-07, 10:07 AM
CableMonke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I'm with Ryan on this one, even doing a 97 complicates things. The newer you go the more emissions you have to deal with and Ryan is right on the Later 98 and up Rods are a compromise you don’t want for boosted applications.
Interesting to know, being that I live in NOR*CAL, I have to be very careful of emission stuff Would you still say the same of staying with pre-97 if I plan on rebuilding the engine with all forged anyway? I am the padawan learning from the masters
Old 04-07-07, 12:21 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Looking forward to the pics and thr reveal..
LOL, you and me both man.
Old 04-07-07, 03:09 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

If you keep the emissions in place, along with the installation of high flow cats, you should pass, but I am not 100% sure, check with Lextreme, he may know for sure...

Ryan

Originally Posted by CableMonke
Interesting to know, being that I live in NOR*CAL, I have to be very careful of emission stuff Would you still say the same of staying with pre-97 if I plan on rebuilding the engine with all forged anyway? I am the padawan learning from the masters
Old 04-07-07, 03:11 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Thanks, Guys...

Let us hope the car is done well before 75 pages...

Ryan

Originally Posted by Richie
LOL, you and me both man.
Old 04-08-07, 01:05 AM
Boostedhat
Rookie

Wow, this is an amazing project. I actually think, that this was the first time I ever looked at every page of a 59 page post, and enjoyed it. Can't wait to see a track or dyno video.
Old 04-25-07, 03:48 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Guys, I just paid the Machine shop. I will be picking up my built engine any day, and we will be performing the swap... Finally...Stage II is about upon us...

Pics are coming...

Ryan
Old 04-25-07, 04:55 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Guys, I just paid the Machine shop. I will be picking up my built engine any day, and we will be performing the swap... Finally...Stage II is about upon us...

Pics are coming...

Ryan
Sounds great! keep us posted! Your already on stage II, I'm still working the bugs out of stage I
Old 04-26-07, 02:04 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Sounds great! keep us posted! Your already on stage II, I'm still working the bugs out of stage I
Thanks, Scott. I will. Only thing I am disappointed in is that we never dynoed Stage I. But it was just not convenient to do so, I could neverf get the retroed intake back from the fabricator in time so I could dyno it.

In Stage II, I am adding the fuel enhancements even iof someone else has to make them, so, I have a question for all you tech guys out there regarding the Stock ECU.

Gang, I have been pondering this just for the last day now, and have not found anyone that is sure of the answer, so I want to post up here to see if anyone can provide the correct information.

I will be keeping the stock ECU on my SC400 Project Car even after I install the built engine which I am just now picking up from the machine shop. I will be adding a piggy back with an external Delco MAP to the system. So, I will have 2 Walbro 255 pumps, and 2 separate fuel systems in the car. The stock one stays in place, and the secondary includes 8 440 cc injectors run by the piggy nack that will connect to the stock ECU, and will adjust fuel on the secondary fuel system, and will change timing as necessary.

MY question is does anybody know what the Stock ECU is doing when we hit the Rev limiter past 6500 rpm? Is it an ignition cut, a fuel cut, a timing change, or a combination of the above? My reason for asking is this:

I am adding the BoostLogic built A340 4 speed trans and Precision trany to the equation, and I have no experience on how the car will shift until I get it on the road. They did adjust line pressures and make several modifications to the stock valve body so that the tranny will shift much quicker, but it will still be civil during normal driving. I am sure there will still be a delay between gears, although shorter. If I shift the gears manually, and miss the sift point and cause the rpm to hit the rev limiter, if this is a fuel cut, will this not caus ea temporary lean condition? If I am in high boost when this occurs, I am concerned about the danger to my engine...

I can adjust the piggy back to change the pulse cycle of the secondary injectors in the map and adjust the timing when past 6500 rpm as a safety factor, if needed, or I can tune in a fuel cut as well. But, I will need to know what the stock ECU is doing...

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 04-26-07, 07:41 AM
cip
Pole Position

Though I don't have a definitive answer for our application, from reading about other limiters I gather that it's an ignition cut. It interrupts the signal to the coil alternating on/off.
If you ever spent time in Neutral just letting it bounce off the limiter, you see how quickly the RPM's get back up. On mine it seems to oscillate maybe 150 - 200 RPM's. Can the fuel be shut off/on that quick?
Old 04-26-07, 08:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel can be cut off that quick. Just order the injector not to fire on the next cycle. 100% to 0% fuel in milliseconds.

Boost cuts on Toyotas are like this. It feels like you hit a moose. BAM and the fun is over. It's done this way to save the engine. Injecting fuel in a car that's overboosting and killing the ignition is not the best idea.

In Ryan's case, a fuel cut rev limiter would be bad for him as at redline the main ECU cuts fuel and the piggyback still adds its share (depending on how it's wired). Instant lean condition. I think that was his question.

Ryan, that's not a problem for you as your stock rev limiter should be ignition cut. I don't have the V8 Manuals so I can't look up the specifics but your tuner should set you straight just fine.
Old 04-27-07, 04:53 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Hey Jose, Thanks for your reply...I am hoping it is an ignition cut. In any case, the Piggy-Back can be programmed for fuel cut at 6600 RPM, and that should allow me to play it safe....

Ryan
Old 04-28-07, 06:12 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Hey gang, I have a few pics for ya. I assembled the BBKs, preparing them for install. Remember, I have picked up the engine from the machine shop...

The Brake kit ncomes from Revolution brakes, formerly known as Precision brakes, the calipers are genuine Wilwood. Wilwood does not make a kit for the SC, but Revolution does.

Nice stuff, well machined.

Ryan

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car Stage II