Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project nextlevelcoupe 95 to 98 v8 transformation/restoration!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 08:43 AM
1FSTV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question. Why didnt you just buy a 98 99 SC400?
Old 02-16-09, 12:58 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1FSTV8
Quick question. Why didnt you just buy a 98 99 SC400?
The reason was cost... my 95 transmission blew out and it was cheaper to buy the parts i needed off a crashed 98(at a great deal) and make it a project instead of buying a 98-2k. The only concern was labor,and i am doing most of that myself.
Old 02-16-09, 05:45 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always loved your tails and car in general! Any plans to turbocharge or supercharge in a few?
Old 02-16-09, 06:52 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Always loved your tails and car in general! Any plans to turbocharge or supercharge in a few?
thanx uz, i'm not firm on what direction to go in yet but i'm leaning towards a supercharged application due to the lower maintenance (i think?). more research is needed!
Old 02-16-09, 09:30 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
thanx uz, i'm not firm on what direction to go in yet but i'm leaning towards a supercharged application due to the lower maintenance (i think?). more research is needed!
Richwood in Auz can customize a supercharger manifold for you. If the 98 heads, which I think are VVTI, don't have much difference intake runners from the non VVTI, then they can do it for around $1K (hopefully). Or turbocharge that baby like me.
Old 05-24-09, 09:07 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATES:
I have completed the abs/vsc system conversion to 98 specs and am waiting on the passenger side front caliper line (on back order )to complete this install -my 95 caliper line was too short to be used with 98 abs pump. I also found out recently that the 98 sc400 uses the same radiator as any year sc 300 radiator(with tranny cooler lines), the differences between the 98 sc400 and 95 sc 400 radiator is the fact that the 98 does not have the overflow tank mounted on top of the radiator, it has a fluid filler cap on the top and the overflow tank mounted behind the front bumper (placed between hi beams). I will get my hands on the coolant overflow tank this week and modify my 95 400 radiator to work accordingly with the new application...some serious bleeding of the brake lines will commence after that and that MAJOR part of the project will be complete. I have to install a power steering pulley, tranny mount,confirm the vacuum lines are correctly in the right position (will need more underhood pics of a 98-2000 sc400 to confirm), figure out why the outside temp is not displayed on dash and integrate my 95 airbag system to the 98 wire harness for the final stage of the mechanical work. The next stage will be to fully test for any leaks, any codes, anything that will hinder this project from becoming what i need it to be... a CONFIRMED problem free 98 sc400!
I will update with pics this week, stay tuned!
Old 05-25-09, 07:11 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oooh, "pics this week". this one i will def be keeping an eye on... hope everything comes out as planned!!!
Old 05-25-09, 08:34 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

great thread man - nice work.
Old 05-26-09, 09:40 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yo D,

You need to work double time on your whip to get this thing out of the shop. Comparing the 95-97 & 98-00 is a world of difference, more torque and HP; the gas mileage is amazing, 19-20 cty, 25-26 hwy. My 98LS actually sounds like a toned down GS4 or SC4. I'll let you hear it soon
Old 05-26-09, 09:55 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

goodluck with your build...
Old 05-30-09, 03:41 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking real nice Deron!! I know when this is done, it will be a true work of art!

Never go half way....Do it right the first time, or get out of Dodge!

You da Man, Big D.

Ryan
Old 07-14-09, 05:01 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude... any recent pictures? I can't wait to see it...
Old 09-07-09, 03:21 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update!!!!

My apologies for the late pic guys, but things have been slow in terms of completing this project... I am way behind schedule on this conversion because of many factors outside of what I expected my mechanic to do... The timing on finding everything needed was off, and I had to wait for 98-2000 sc300/400 parts to become available to me (which are extremely rare)to complete the project. Let me explain in-depth about one main issue: Unfortunately I found out that the interior wiring was not from the same 1998 sc400 and it posed quite an issue when it was time to test the new abs/trac (not vsc) system. The engine harness/front ecm interior harness I purchased supported Abs/Trac (from 98 sc400) while the side harness did not- I found out it was from a non traction controlled sc 300/400, so I lost a lot of time trying to get to the root of the issue and finally having to wait on the purchase of a new interior wire harness for the entire interior/trunk to rectify the problem. To be more specific about this issue, the 1998 sc400 cars with abs/trac have the ecu for the brakes located in the passenger side beneath the rear window panel. For non trac, the ecu is located above the main ecm (front,under glove box) the wrong harness i had supported neither. Anyway, everything is installed as it should be and found out that the brake master cylinder/booster needed to be changed as well... There have been and still are a few setbacks, but I will be taking the car home this weekend to figure out what to do for the new sound/alarm system before my interior is completed and ready for pickup in another week. It's been a long, patient process but because this car is no longer a daily driver, I have been able to cope with the issues until now....

Thing left to do for mechanical/electrical completion:
1). A/C line (high compression side) cracked and needs to be replaced.
flush and fill with new freon..check for leaks (part needed) **tested & completed**

2). brake booster (2 bolt) needs to be installed with current brake master cylinder then bled and tested... (have parts,will be completed in a few days) **tested & completed**

3). air bags have been retrofitted to 98 wiring successfully!...clear airbag code (will be completed this week)
**tested & completed**

4). Air box needed! updated 5/1/10: still needed!

After these issues are resolved, I will be 100% complete with the conversion and will put the interior in to seal the deal

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 05-01-11 at 06:21 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-07-09, 03:28 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.... another cool thread to subscribe to..... More pix........ Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-07-09, 04:50 PM
sc4play
Driver

very cool sc!..........i really hate the font though lol

Quick Reply: Project nextlevelcoupe 95 to 98 v8 transformation/restoration!!