Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 10:00 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess the debate really is between the GM and Q45 TB. Is the integrated IAC really a big factor for you? I like the larger volume for the scalability later...however the flow on the GM will be nice with all that work done to it...however if you bore it out you will be doing a lot of it over again. If you want to do some work I would port/polish/clean up the Q45 and then you just increased the ID...
Old 03-27-09, 12:45 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I would definitely go with the GM.
Old 03-28-09, 09:09 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome work.
Old 03-29-09, 07:27 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
Well I guess the debate really is between the GM and Q45 TB. Is the integrated IAC really a big factor for you? I like the larger volume for the scalability later...however the flow on the GM will be nice with all that work done to it...however if you bore it out you will be doing a lot of it over again. If you want to do some work I would port/polish/clean up the Q45 and then you just increased the ID...
IAC is a nice plus. Without it the car wont idle for about 30-45 seconds upon cold start up. My last setup I ran without it. I had to slightly crack the TB open to get it to idle. The IACV is a air bypass that regulates air to the engine while the TB is closed. There are other options in the way of external IACV's that i could get, the GM TB is just a really clean simple way of getting it. I have not totally tossed the idea of the Q45 TB out, I may put 2 TB patterns in my intake elbow that will allow me to try both.
Old 03-29-09, 08:35 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

If you can't decide, do both- thats an excellent idea..
Ah the benifits of being an Engineer..!
Old 03-29-09, 08:56 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
IAC is a nice plus. Without it the car wont idle for about 30-45 seconds upon cold start up. My last setup I ran without it. I had to slightly crack the TB open to get it to idle. The IACV is a air bypass that regulates air to the engine while the TB is closed. There are other options in the way of external IACV's that i could get, the GM TB is just a really clean simple way of getting it. I have not totally tossed the idea of the Q45 TB out, I may put 2 TB patterns in my intake elbow that will allow me to try both.
It's possible, there are alot of people that have it set up this way with no IACV. You have to really fine tune it though, you warm up temp compensation and your timing values at idle have to all be adjusted accordingly, if you aren't going stand alone then yeah make it easier on yourself. However if you going full blown with a pretty versatile stand alone EMS it will take some time but it's definately doable. I don't know if anyone has ever done it on a 1UZ but hell you're used to being the first on lots of things anyway. Hope that helps.

- Jon
Old 03-29-09, 10:25 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Another great build coming along. Can't wait to see this finished in all it's glory.
Old 04-05-09, 08:39 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Well for fuel rails I have opted to use the 97 rails. Stock they have Banjo fittings at both ends but thats a easy fix. The important thing is they have a feed from one end and a exit at the other. The bore of them is equal to a AN-8 bore so there is plenty of flow there.

So I basically need to dump the restrictive banjos so here we go. The plan is to feed them with AN-8 and exit them with AN-6. I know the AN-8 feed is a bit overkill but it sure looks nice. I started by drilling out the banjo threads with a initial plan to tap the rails with 3/8 NPT. Once I got them drilled and started to tap them I realized they were really thin around the threads and I was worried that the taper threads would crack them.

My solution was to drill them out a bit more and spin the threads off my AN fittings to creat a slip fit. Next step is to get them TIG welded.

Here are som pics.

Name:  DSCF2112.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2111.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2113.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 04-06-09, 10:46 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Sooo nice!
Old 04-07-09, 02:27 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Fuel line Teaser pics! Made a mount for the Y block and welded it to the valve cover. Made another mount for the FPR that bolts to the rail. Still need a 180 (ordered) on the FPR to take the other return line from the other rail. Also need to some more parts to plumb the other rail. Never mind the fitting on the back side of the Y, Just put it on for test fit, it will be a 30 degree routed over to the other rail feed.

Also ignore the aluminum looking cover on the valve cover, that’s just thin aluminum tape for mock up and concept of idea.

Slowly getting there.

Now for the tease!

Name:  DSCF2132.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2131.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  48.9 KB

Here is the front feed in. Will have a 180 like this o both sides. Just starting to lay out oil breather lines, stay tuned for more updates, Its starting to get fun!

Name:  DSCF2133.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2130.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2134.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 04-07-09, 04:44 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i read that whole write up on checking valve clearances. good write up. that method definitely works. i still do clay occasionally. with this method though you can actually graph, in excel or alike, your dergee of crank rotation versus the clearance you have. you will get a nice curve probably looking a lot like a sinusoidal wave.

later on if you go with a different lift cam you can actually refer back to that graph and have a pretty accurate estimate of possible clearance. obviously cam profiles can vary a lot but its a start.

who made this write up?

i dont use that much clearance on either intake or exhaust. if its there then all good and dandy but you can realistically go down to 0.060" on intake and 0.080" on exhaust.

hurry up with this already. cant take the waiting any more
Old 04-07-09, 05:20 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i read that whole write up on checking valve clearances. good write up. that method definitely works. i still do clay occasionally. with this method though you can actually graph, in excel or alike, your dergee of crank rotation versus the clearance you have. you will get a nice curve probably looking a lot like a sinusoidal wave.

later on if you go with a different lift cam you can actually refer back to that graph and have a pretty accurate estimate of possible clearance. obviously cam profiles can vary a lot but its a start.

who made this write up?

i dont use that much clearance on either intake or exhaust. if its there then all good and dandy but you can realistically go down to 0.060" on intake and 0.080" on exhaust.

hurry up with this already. cant take the waiting any more

The write up was done by Kelford Cams Tech department.

Waiting is really killing me, But I am getting closer.
Old 04-07-09, 08:06 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insane!
Old 04-08-09, 06:49 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

those lines are very patriotic Looks nice.

One question...how come you did not do fuel rails since you were in there. Is there more than enough flow on the stock rails?
Old 04-08-09, 07:04 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that you bought stock in Russel AN- fittings company.

lol

Quick Reply: Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8