Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Follow my trip as I paint my SC Matador Mica Red

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 07:46 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice! So when do you plan on spraying it, sometime this weekend?
Old 07-27-07, 08:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Seize
Nice! So when do you plan on spraying it, sometime this weekend?
Yup...

tentatively, fill in a few little imperfections tonight, finish sanding the bumpers, and primer the whole thing...

saturday evening - sand the whole thing, ensure no imperfections

sunday morning - (coolest, calmest time of day) around 4 am, seal and paint...
Old 07-27-07, 03:05 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is like crack.
Old 07-27-07, 03:58 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks great
Old 07-27-07, 05:31 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

mitsuguy- hey Just wondering how much exp do you have painting?
Old 07-27-07, 05:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by vwynn
mitsuguy- hey Just wondering how much exp do you have painting?
realistically... not a ton... I've probably painted a half dozen cars or so, of which I didn't really care how they turned out, but I still tried to do good...

honestly, once you get the knack of a hvlp gun, it's way easier than spray paint even... IMO, painting is actually the easiest part of this whole ordeal - all ya do is hold down the trigger and walk around the car... sanding is the biggest pain in the *** of this whole thing...

the one thing I always do is get a big piece of metal or smooth wood and run a few coats of paint over it first - thats a good way to get the gun setup and check for coverage...
Old 07-27-07, 08:08 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...really good work on your part
Old 07-29-07, 12:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Alright... update...

Last night was a bust (friday)... I basically got home, and our main tv (a HD projector) was half dark - one side of the screen was about half as bright as the rest... I decided to do some disassembling as it is out of warranty and the worst thing that can happen is I break it worse and have to buy a new one... Well, 2 hours later, I now know exactly how a projector works - my problem was in the lamp focusing tube, this thing with 4 mirrors about 1/2" or so square - one of the mirrors had fallen and was no longer letting light pass from the lamp into the reflector assembly... Anyways, a couple drops of superglue later and we're back in business... Unfortunately, by this time, it's already getting late - too late to even start on the car... no work accomplished at all unfortunately, so, I'm set back one day... No biggie...

Tonight (saturday), I finished sanding the bumpers and fixed a few little chips and such as well as skim coated any wary spots on the body itself... my wife decided to help and sanded down all the lights guts, as I plan on painting them body color as well (I had already taken them apart)... I am also installing some 194 LED's into the housing for the high beam to match with the driving light in the low beam housing...

Tomorrow morning is final sanding, then primer, then sanding again... then I think I'll take my project inside and deline all my lights - it'll be 100+ degrees outside - way too hot for me to paint... painting should commence early monday morning...

time spent: 5 hours (plus the wife contributed about an hours worth of work, so we'll call it 6 hours)

Total time: 33 hours
Old 07-29-07, 05:46 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you went thru all that work removing glass trim but left the door handles in place and painted over the black rubber gasket ?

Last edited by 2.5tsoarer; 07-29-07 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 06:49 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn man I just read the whole thread. Can't wait to see the results! Big ups for doing it yourself too.
Old 07-29-07, 09:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
you went thru all that work removing glass trim but left the door handles in place and painted over the black rubber gasket ?
it's not a rubber gasket... that black part is metal...

I thought the same thing, and called Lexus to order it - it's part of the door handle and is not rubber at all...

edit: I just ran and checked, it's plastic actually

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-29-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 09:55 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
it's not a rubber gasket... that black part is metal...

I thought the same thing, and called Lexus to order it - it's part of the door handle and is not rubber at all...

edit: I just ran and checked, it's plastic actually
I removed my door handles when I painted my car, whens its all put back together the black Plastic piece really makes it look like oem paint .
Old 07-29-07, 10:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
I removed my door handles when I painted my car, whens its all put back together the black Plastic piece really makes it look like oem paint .
if thats the case and it doesn't look good, i'll just pull them off later and clean them or replace them...
Old 07-29-07, 12:53 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a tip for you , if you have the time let the primer bake in the sun and cure for a few weeks that way any materials you put on the car have a chance to shrink or cure that way once your paint goes on the car will be sweet
Old 07-29-07, 12:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
I have a tip for you , if you have the time let the primer bake in the sun and cure for a few weeks that way any materials you put on the car have a chance to shrink or cure that way once your paint goes on the car will be sweet
I don't have time for that - I'd like to drive the car later this week... I just got done cleaning and primering that last coat of primer (so long as I don't see any more imperfections)... It's going to be 105 here in Vegas today, and when it's 105 outside, it's regularly 120 or better in the garage... should be sufficient heat to cure it pretty well (maybe not a few weeks well, but good)... Later tonight, I'll finish sand so that I can wake up early early tomorrow to seal and paint...

Quick Reply: Follow my trip as I paint my SC Matador Mica Red