Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 08:16 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not about affording it or not. I have the money for your box. It just is about prioritizing the cash-Best bang for the buck without suffering quality. I know your box is quality...but for that amount of beans, I will first buy a Dragon TC. I can make a sub box...

Ryan

Originally Posted by mteele
How can you afford all this and not my fiberglass sub box lol
Old 05-19-05, 08:20 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Most SC guys, or GS or LS guys and gals will never spend even close to this amount of money to do what I am doing... No offense intended, LOL. Lots of people complain about affording $50, this thing is many thousands...

But you never know, for those that are serious...

Ryan

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Ah, so it's an SC400TT, now.

Do you still have plans to sell this as a kit?
Old 05-19-05, 08:22 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Plumbing is being done now...FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

Originally Posted by Dx3
This is awesome man - what's the latest??

I sooo want boost in my car now

Peace,
Jonny
Old 05-19-05, 08:22 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400T
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Most SC guys, or GS or LS guys and gals will never spend even close to this amount of money to do what I am doing... No offense intended, LOL. Lots of people complain about affording $50, this thing is many thousands...

But you never know, for those that are serious...

Ryan
For all of the mechanical mods, are you still under 5 digits for parts and labor, etc?
Old 05-19-05, 08:43 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

$5,000 won't cover it. And I purchased much of my stuff at wholesale or close to. If you paid someone to do this, just copy my TT set-up. Expect to spend a minimum of $10,000. If I sold you all the parts at what I paid for them, without labor, $5,000 would not cover it. And I would not do that...make a kit for others, spend all my time, and make no money. I love you guys, but my time is worth alot to me...LOL

Think about it:
Garrett GT2871R- $1,200 each, $2,400 for my TT application
Custom Bell FMIC-$800
Koyo Radiator-$400
Flex-A-Lite dual fans-$250
Tial BOV-$275
Custom headers-$1000
EMU-$650
FPR-$200
SS Exhausts-$1,200
Flanges,hoses, fittings-$500
Steel tubing-$400
Plus Labor

Lots of beans...Not for the faint at heart or low in cash...

Ryan

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
For all of the mechanical mods, are you still under 5 digits for parts and labor, etc?
Old 05-19-05, 09:56 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey good luck on your project! Its good to hear you are focusing alot on trying to get your goal accomplished. A Twin Turbo charged Iron block V8 would most definetly stand out from the croud. I give you props. I have a friend whos goal is similar to yours. I will keep looking back to see how much you have progressed. I own an SC3 and am planning to go 5speed NA-T on it. But Ive driven a V8 with a built tranny and those things have a very strong pull. They pull enough to chirp on second. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see the final product soon. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-19-05, 10:27 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$5,000 won't cover it. And I purchased much of my stuff at wholesale or close to. If you paid someone to do this, just copy my TT set-up. Expect to spend a minimum of $10,000. If I sold you all the parts at what I paid for them, without labor, $5,000 would not cover it. And I would not do that...make a kit for others, spend all my time, and make no money. I love you guys, but my time is worth alot to me...LOL

Think about it:
Custom Bell FMIC-$800
Koyo Radiator-$400
Tial BOV-$275
Custom headers-$1000
EMU-$650
FPR-$200
SS Exhausts-$1,200
Steel tubing-$400
Plus Labor

Lots of beans...Not for the faint at heart or low in cash...

Ryan
So now do you understand what all the old school guys meant when they said it wasn't economically feasible for anyone to make an affordable turbo kit for the sc400? No one opens a business to lose money.

And congratulations so far. I was highly critical of your project when you first started because you were stating things that could not be done. I am glad you've changed direction to TT. I am still curious as to how you manage to accomodate for AC. And send my condolences to your welder/fabricator
Old 05-19-05, 10:37 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once more for the road, where do you plan on mounting the turbos? Please don't say undermount like Lextreme's first incarnation of his TT LS400.
Old 05-19-05, 10:51 PM
chrisman
Driver

ryan,, everything looks great so far.. keep up the momentum..im glad your gonna keep the ac.. it will take a little more snaking/routing of the exhaust, but at least you will show that it is possible..
its to bad you could not be welding and fabing yourself-youd probably would have been finished a while ago..
if you have any probs with getting the car finished, i dont mind helping out to make sure the car gets done..
Old 05-20-05, 05:09 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
Once more for the road, where do you plan on mounting the turbos? Please don't say undermount like Lextreme's first incarnation of his TT LS400.
The turbos are being mounted just right of the battery on the driver's side, and just left of where the airbox is on the passenger side. I never considered mounting them underside, as my car is lowered.

Ryan
Old 05-20-05, 05:22 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I always understood that... When I talked about going into business about such a thing, it was certainly not to replace what I do for a living...I am not an idiot...LOL What I did hope was to be able to build a kit for the few that could afford one, and to keep it to $5k, or $6k. But if you go to the quality and level that I am, that number can't happen. Consider this though, for someone on a budget, they could use used and rebuilt turbos, a less expensive FMIC, keep their stock radiator, and keep their welding costs down. SO, it could be done for that amount, not including the labor costs to install. Also remember, a single turbo SC400 is a viable project, and would definitely cost less, half the turbo's half the IC tubing, half the complication (well some less on the complication). So it is possible.

All in all, any good turbo project or supercharger project is expensive, especially on I6's and even more so on V8's, especially twins.

Ryan

Originally Posted by verylost
So now do you understand what all the old school guys meant when they said it wasn't economically feasible for anyone to make an affordable turbo kit for the sc400? No one opens a business to lose money.

And congratulations so far. I was highly critical of your project when you first started because you were stating things that could not be done. I am glad you've changed direction to TT. I am still curious as to how you manage to accomodate for AC. And send my condolences to your welder/fabricator
Old 05-20-05, 05:25 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Love to Chris...You have already been such an inspiration, and great help. To all you guys out there...Chris is awesome at this stuff...He definitely knows his stuff Props to you Chris... You will hear from me...Thanks

Ryan

Originally Posted by chrisman
ryan,, everything looks great so far.. keep up the momentum..im glad your gonna keep the ac.. it will take a little more snaking/routing of the exhaust, but at least you will show that it is possible..
its to bad you could not be welding and fabing yourself-youd probably would have been finished a while ago..
if you have any probs with getting the car finished, i dont mind helping out to make sure the car gets done..
Old 05-20-05, 06:25 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

By SC400T My goal is to design, develop and implement a cost-effective, reliable Single Turbo SC400 that can be duplicated and sold as a partial kit for those that want to add the “oomph” of fun into their Luxo-Cruiser.
Do you think that if you kept the original single turbo plan, it would have been a little less expensive? How much more will it cost with the TT set up?
Old 05-20-05, 06:44 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Think about it:
Custom Bell FMIC-$800
Koyo Radiator-$400
Tial BOV-$275
Custom headers-$1000
EMU-$650
FPR-$200
SS Exhausts-$1,200
Steel tubing-$400
Plus Labor

Ryan
Ryan,

What is an EMU? For others on a budget, there are many things you can delete:

*Use turbos or oem turbos (400-450 each)
*Ebay IC or Use FMIC (350)
Koyo Radiator-$400 - Not Neccessary
Flex-A-Lite dual fans-$250- If done right, oem fan stays
Tial BOV-$275- ebay.. used....
Custom headers-$1000 - JY headers with Tundra Headers (Was 99, but now 225)
EMU-$650 - FMU $275
FPR-$200- Not Neccessary
SS Exhausts-$1,200 -Not Neccessary
Flanges,hoses, fittings-$500 - Ebay.... $100-150
Steel tubing-$400 -$200
Plus Labor - Free.. do it yourself...
Of course there will be many other misc parts.... but prepare to spend some money on the engine after few months of boosting......
Old 05-20-05, 05:28 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

there are a lot of fast cars out in orlando now, 500hp is nothing anymore, especially for a 3600lb car. A 300hp 240sx will stay right next to you.

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car