Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Lu Bu's IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 06:21 PM
LuBu
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by LuBu:
BS ISF (06-20-23), CCColtsicehockey (06-20-23), minator (06-19-23)
Old 06-24-23, 02:04 PM
LuBu
Driver

There's nowhere in my area that's without risk to do a high speed WOT run, let alone with adequate road surface. However, I had the opportunity to do so, with what I perceived as minimal risk at the moment, and I managed to do a WOT run to 120 MPH. Wow, the IS-F pulls hard even at triple digits. I'm so ecstatic with this car.
Old 07-16-23, 12:34 PM
LuBu
Driver

I've only opened the sunroof once when I initially purchased the ISF, and it was stuck open. I had to pull over and fidget with the dial until it finally closed. It was raining that day, so I panicked a bit. Since then, I haven't opened the sunroof until today. I performed the recalibration procedure and it seems to apparently function correctly now. I still have a problem, though. The sunroof seal was replaced last year, and I have to assume that the technician did not reinstall the various components correctly. The deflector does not prop up when the sunroof is fully opened... It appears as if some pieces are missing from underneath the deflector. At least I can crack open the sunroof from now on without concern.

What's even more addicting than WOT's are the handling capabilities. Pure euphoria resides in turns where max G's are felt.

My average MPG is 23.9 after 2.2k miles. For comparison, I'm at 25.6 average MPG in the SH-AWD.

Ah, one more update, and in regards to the sound system. I turned the volume all the way up to 50... The sound system finally sounds adequate, at 50!!! I would equate volume at 40-50 in the ISF's ML to be somewhat close to that of the TL's ELS volume at 10-15...

Last edited by LuBu; 07-16-23 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-23-23, 02:47 PM
LuBu
Driver

The SH-AWD handles well for a ~4,000 lb vehicle, and sometimes defies what should be possible. Then, I hop in the IS F, and it destroys perception when it comes to handling. How can it turn so hard, so effortlessly, and euphorically?! That moment is pure ****ing bliss, and disbelief. I ****ing love it.
Old 07-23-23, 04:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by LuBu
The SH-AWD handles well for a ~4,000 lb vehicle, and sometimes defies what should be possible. Then, I hop in the IS F, and it destroys perception when it comes to handling. How can it turn so hard, so effortlessly, and euphorically?! That moment is pure ****ing bliss, and disbelief. I ****ing love it.
Just guessing, but it doesn't sound like you've driven a premier sports car yet. The IS F is good, but it's no Corvette, Porsche, or any of a number of premium exotics. It's great for what it is, but a real sports car will take it to the next level.
The following users liked this post:
LuBu (07-23-23)
Old 07-23-23, 05:59 PM
LuBu
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just guessing, but it doesn't sound like you've driven a premier sports car yet. The IS F is good, but it's no Corvette, Porsche, or any of a number of premium exotics. It's great for what it is, but a real sports car will take it to the next level.
I have not. The IS F is the most prestigious vehicle that I've owned, and driven, yet.
Old 07-31-23, 04:52 PM
LuBu
Driver

BS ISF (08-02-23)
Old 08-24-23, 10:58 PM
LuBu
Driver

I haven't driven the IS F much lately because I have acquired a new-to-me daily driver, an Acura ZDX. Now, I own two low production vehicles.
CCColtsicehockey (08-25-23)
Old 09-16-23, 01:50 AM
LuBu
Driver

I haven't driven the IS F in a couple of weeks, however, I will be doing so today. I've been slowly getting the ZDX up to my standards. The difference between the two should be quite stark.

Old 09-16-23, 11:30 AM
Mark6pot
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LuBu
Alright, it's time for the review, now that I've driven almost a thousand miles. This car is ****ing spectacular. I'm fortunate to be experiencing the IS-F as my first RWD car.

Power:
This is the most powerful vehicle that I've had yet. It pulls well, and feels superb. I've monitored the engine today through my ScanGauge 3, and it's performing flawlessly. I don't really have any spots that I deem safe to do high speed pulls, so the fastest I've driven is to 100 MPH. It moves quickly to 100 MPH, and it's euphoric. The induction sound is eargasmic once the second intake valve opens up. It's satisfying to drive conservatively, spiritedly, and also hooningly.

Brakes:
These are the best performing brakes that I've experienced yet. Stopping power is unrivaled compared to the previous cars. Pedal feel is confidence inspiring. I enjoy braking late. Brake dust is quite atrocious, though.

Handling:
This is probably the most enticing aspect of this car. I ****ing love taking hard turns. This car has defied the limits that the previous cars held. The chassis is super stable and planted during cornering. I feel as one with the car. The seats are exceptional for my frame right now. I haven't had any problems with traction yet, and I will continue to push the limits because it's truly fascinating. The tires are also fantastic, and they are Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus.

Transmission:
While warming up, and driving civilized, the transmission is comfortable and composed in normal mode. By turning on Sport mode after the car has come to operating temperature, all aspects liven up. However, the true magic occurs while in Sport-M mode, where you have full control over the gears. Raw, savage, bestial, and ruthless are some words to describe the exhilarating feeling I attain when actually enjoying the car at its peak potential.

Aesthetics:
One sad aspect is that I don't get to witness the exterior of the car when I'm driving it. I actually like how it looks quite a bit. It has presence.

So, what is it that I don't like about the car? Well, it doesn't ****ing matter. The overall experience is euphoric and trumps any negative aspects. What a sensational vehicle. I don't value it at the MSRP that it had. However, the price that I paid for it, well, I already received my perceived value out of it already in the first thousand miles.

I'm in love. I don't want the honeymoon phase to ever end.

Great looking clean isf you have.
I echo what you are saying, the honeymoon phase is sublime. Learning how to really get the most from Sport/ Manual mode is epic.
I've had my isf from 2016 and love it, i took it of the road 2 years ago to give it a full underside restoration as the surface rust was gaining momentum. 2008 car with 116850 miles and Joys of Scottish winters. Will not use it again during winter. I will have it back on the road in time for spring next year and can't wait for the 2nd honeymoon.
Enjoy the car, drive it to the max when safe to do, look after it to the fullest and it will always give you a smile.
LuBu (09-16-23)
Old 02-13-24, 02:49 AM
LuBu
Driver

The car has been stored over winter, and I'll pull it out in the spring.

I've been researching for the past several hours on a square setup. It would appear that my answer is Enkei PF01 in 18x9.5" +45 with a 255/40R18 tire.
460-895-6645 SP 18x9.5" +45 5x114.3 75 20.35 lb

I need at least a 40 sidewall with the treacherous roads in Cleveland. I want a square setup in order to rotate my wheels. The reduced unsprung mass will also be a performance enhancement. My ride height will remain stock, so I could also increase the tire size if I need more grip at a later point. For the moment being, the car is stock. I haven't decided how much I will modify it just yet.
Old 02-13-24, 11:05 PM
LuBu
Driver

1) Maintenance.
The priority will be preventative maintenance when I pull the car out in the spring.

2) Square rim and tire setup.
The square wheel setup will cost around $2,500. From the data points shared from other members, the difference in unsprung weight will be roughly ~20 lb in total, when compared to the stock setup. That's quite a significant difference, especially with the added traction on the front axle. The thicker sidewall, and the advantage of rotating wheels is an added bonus, as well.

3) Muffler delete.
I've been searching, and will continue to search for an axle back muffler delete. I missed an opportunity to purchase two of them in the past several months. I want more audial ferocity without going overboard, and a muffler delete seems to be the answer, for now.

4). RR Racing tune.
I haven't decided if I want the entire power package as of yet, however, I know that I want just the tune itself, regardless.

Other than that, it will be just driving as much as possible. Depending on how long I decide to keep the IS F, will determine if I purchase an LSD at some point. The IS F cannot be my daily driver in Cleveland, with its inadequate ground clearance. The roads continue to worsen every day. The ZDX has an 8" ground clearance (nearly double that of the IS F), and the tires have a 55 sidewall, which has proven to be perfect as a daily driver.
Old 02-15-24, 12:57 AM
LuBu
Driver

After further research, it seems that I don't need to spend funds on any of the chassis bracing, for my current application.

I should purchase the following modifications, though:
-Sikky 19mm rear sway bar with endlinks ~$375
-RR Racing Street USRS ~$370

I should consider the following as further preventative maintenance:
-RR Racing radiator transmission cooler package ~$950

At some point, sooner rather than later, I will need headers, as well. I'll have to take a look again at the service history to find out what was replaced, and at what mileage. When I check the undercarriage again, I'll determine what other worn out suspension components I'll need to replace, if any. It seems that FIGS Engineering has what is necessary for the IS F.
Old 02-16-24, 12:34 AM
LuBu
Driver

I checked over the service history of my car again, and these were the most crucial points:

51.7k:
Replaced water pump

127.8k:
Replaced bank 2 exhaust manifold

133.8k:
Replaced radiator

153.5k:
Replaced sticky interior panels

168.7k:
Repaired valley plate coolant leak

189.4k:
Replaced sunroof seal

I ordered some trunk interior trim pieces since they were missing when I purchased the car. I'm working with a seller on a fair deal on exhaust outlet pieces, since one tip from my driver's side is missing. I'm still trying to secure a sale for a muffler delete, and still hunting for a driver's door pocket.
Old 02-17-24, 09:36 AM
LuBu
Driver

I was looking over some information pertaining to sidewall aspect ratios, and then began comparing all of my current cars.

2008 Lexus IS F
OEM sizing:
225/40R19 = 90mm or 3.54"
255/35R19 = 89.25mm or 3.51"

Desired size:
255/40R18 = 102mm or 4.01"

Another possibility:
265/40R18 = 106mm or 4.17"
This would signify a ~1 MPH difference in actual speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Acura ZDX
OEM sizing:
255/50R19 = 127.5mm or 5.02"

Current size:
255/55R19 = 140.25mm or 5.52"
~2-3 MPH actual speed difference, depending on speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD
OEM sizing:
(Stock 18")
245/45R18 = 110.25mm or 4.34"

(OEM accessory 19")
245/40R19 = 98mm or 3.85"

So, the 255/40R18 square setup for the IS F will place the ride quality roughly in between the TL's 18" and 19" tire range. It will be about a 13% increase in cushioning impacts, which will be another aspect that I won't have to regard as keenly any longer. The other possibility, a 265/40R18 square setup, will be about a 17% increase.

Quick Reply: Lu Bu's IS-F