Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rotary on sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 07:49 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Rotary on sale

Via tooltopia.com:

https://www.tooltopia.com/dewalt-tools-dwp849x.aspx

I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with TT and I do not receive any compensation for any purchasing (i.e. no affiliate link).

Just posting for anyone that wants a high quality rotary polisher / sander at a good price. If I didn't already have two rotaries, I'd be all over this one.
Old 04-19-19, 07:37 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Found another one and this one I purchased:

https://www.drcolorchip.com/store/power-z-orbital.php

Again, in no way am I compensated for any purchase of this item. I'll be using it on my boat, possibly this weekend after the storms blow through.

So far it's more of a direct drive DA orbital, at least with the limited time I have run it. I'll be able to use my 7.5" LC pads with it, which should be nice.

Have already compounded / polished / waxed roughly 1/3 of the boat, which has oxidation on the hull gel coat and was badly needing some detail luv. Will report back on the new DA orbital.

Progress thus far using the PC 7424 XP:

Last edited by Beachtyme; 04-19-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 03:01 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Haven't had a chance to use the new polisher, but I did find this deal @ Napa. In store and online as well.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_52810

Very nice "Detail Rig" and cheaper than anywhere else on the web for this. Picked one up and it's really nice and solid. Also works perfect for working on the vehicle when you need to sit.

The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (04-25-19)
Old 04-26-19, 05:35 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Used the detail rig last night when changing out my front brake rotors on the truck and this rig is SOLID and super comfortable.
Old 05-10-19, 12:18 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
Used the detail rig last night when changing out my front brake rotors on the truck and this rig is SOLID and super comfortable.
Found another use for it as a vacuum stand, works perfectly.

Old 05-10-19, 12:20 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Sam's is having a sale for members, I'm picking up the pressure washer as it has decent reviews and a 3 year warranty.

Old 05-13-19, 04:54 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool

Seems you're all alone within your Thread here Beachtyme.so I figured I'd share what I use.

Had this for at least 8-10 years now and never had it quit on me whatsoever. One of the most foolproof DA Polishers on the market.

This Creeper is another piece of gear that's come in handy more times than I can count. Perfect level for cleaning wheels with drawers for Wheel Towels, Tire Shine Bottles, and much more.

Though I dislike MM for personal reasons, I must admit, this system on his site makes building the perfect Pressure Washer a breeze no matter which brand you own. He even has a ton of gear for your Karcher PW Unit too - if you feel like paying top dollar for the stuff.
Beachtyme (05-15-19)
Old 05-13-19, 12:30 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Any more feedback on the polisher in the package from Dr. Colorchip?
Beachtyme (05-15-19)
Old 05-15-19, 02:48 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I've been hauling it back and forth, but have yet to use it on the boat. Polishing the boat from the dock is a pain in the ****, M8. It's lift kept, so no trailer and I haven't looked in to renting a work stand at a marina, at least not yet.

I also have 7 (yes, seven...) different projects going on right now, one of which is refinishing the engine cowlings for the boat in the post that I'm (kinda...) polishing. Right now just the port side from the transom to the hull #'s is done. Translation: If I want to show the vessel's "Good side" I'll be going in circles to starboard.

I hope to have a review of it soon, but not sure just when that will be. I can tell you the unit is solid and verrry reasonable priced, but it won't be nearly as forgiving as a PC 7424XP and/or a beginner DA polisher.

Last edited by Beachtyme; 05-15-19 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 05:14 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

For you Ryobi fans, HD is having a nice promotion. Was in Monday night to pick up a Ryobi small impact wrench and saw they were having a special that begins today, so I waited:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured...s/N-5yc1vZck05

Purchase a $99 battery kit and get a tool for no charge. Can't beat that deal.

One of the freebies is an orbital buffer, which could come in handy to remove polish or sealant / wax.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P435/205975768
Old 05-16-19, 05:29 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Seems you're all alone within your Thread here Beachtyme.so I figured I'd share what I use.

Had this for at least 8-10 years now and never had it quit on me whatsoever. One of the most foolproof DA Polishers on the market.

This Creeper is another piece of gear that's come in handy more times than I can count. Perfect level for cleaning wheels with drawers for Wheel Towels, Tire Shine Bottles, and much more.

Though I dislike MM for personal reasons, I must admit, this system on his site makes building the perfect Pressure Washer a breeze no matter which brand you own. He even has a ton of gear for your Karcher PW Unit too - if you feel like paying top dollar for the stuff.
I appreciate you posting in, Gunny. I too have the PC XP and put plenty of hours on it.

I'm aware of your distaste for Matt, but that's between you and him. I've personally conversed with him via email on one occasion and it was pleasant enough, but I wasn't making any product inquiries or questions. It was pointing out an error on his web site / store and used humor to get the point across. OCD peeps tend to not deal with others to well if they feel that the line of inquiry has already been answered. God knows I deal with that enough, but again, any beef with you and he is your biz.

I've perused his store for the Karcher items and it's definitely not cheap, but having seen plenty of his vids and knowing that he goes for the best, it's fairly safe to infer that what he sells will be top notch, but also pricey. The one thing I do have to recognize with Matt is he's not brand specific and doesn't appear to be a hype machine like Pan the Organizer is (IMO) and shill / fan boy products to make that $$ on referrals. I've said it before and I'll say it again,; re-bottled hype that's shilled to the gills is very prevalent in the detail product industry.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beachtyme:
fwhomeboy (05-16-19), sm1ke (05-16-19)
Old 05-29-19, 02:03 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Tooltopia has the Dewalt back on sale:

https://www.tooltopia.com/dewalt-tools-dwp849.aspx?
Old 06-29-19, 01:45 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Finally used it today and so far I like it. Pic attached, using it with a 7" Meg's medium cut pad and 3M gel coat compound. As with all DA's, speed is the key. Anything over 3.5 and it started to lose balance and was not easy to keep it level and controlled. Do keep in mind that I'm using it on a vertical plane when doing the hull of my boat.

For the price, it's a go, no doubt. Haven't yet used it on a horizontal plane and when I do, I'll report back as well.

sm1ke (07-02-19)
Old 06-29-19, 06:06 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Do boats benefit from ceramic coatings? Do you use any automotive products polishes,waxes... to maintain the hull. Or is it better to use specific boat care products?
Beachtyme (06-30-19)
Old 06-30-19, 05:53 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Originally Posted by charley95
Do boats benefit from ceramic coatings? Do you use any automotive products polishes,waxes... to maintain the hull. Or is it better to use specific boat care products?
Yes, you can use ceramics on gel coat painted surfaces (and really any painted surface, no matter if single stage or multi-stage) and one can also use most auto detail products on vessels and RV's. I've found that the majority of "Marine" products are rebottle from the auto line with a different price tag and marketed as, "Marine / RV". As a matter of fact, the synthetic sealant that I use on ALL of my vehicles and vessels is a "Marine" version, which only means it has Titanium Dioxide in it (UV protection), it's exactly the same as the automotive version by the same manufacturer, with the UV protection added.

Dunno about you, but my vehicles tend to be in the sun just like my watercraft, doesn't it make sense to use a UV protection on both?? Solar rays and the thermal heat from the sun are the #1 thing that breaks down clear coat and/or gel coat.

I'm using the 3M product shown as it has polish AND cutting compound in one and it really eats up the oxidation that gel coat surfaces tend to get. I could easily go with my aggressive cut automotive compound and achieve the same results, but doing it the way I am, I get to eliminate a step and I've had good results with this 3M product in the past.

Even 3M does the marketing magic on this specific product, notice it says, "Wax" on it?? There's absolutely zero wax in this product (and by wax I mean carnuba based wax) they're doing that as the average Joe correlates shiny surfaces and the word WAX as one in the same.

Last edited by Beachtyme; 06-30-19 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Rotary on sale