Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mychanic Detailing Rig Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 05:04 PM
crf3973
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mychanic Detailing Rig Review

I was browsing the Costco.com automotive section when I came across this product. I wasn't in the market for this item but thought that it was pretty nifty and decided to purchase it. It retails for $59.99 on Costco.com which seems like a good deal considering it costs $89.99 on the Mychanic.com website. The rig comes with a wash bucket with several cut outs on the handle to hang different detailing products, a grit catcher that lays at the bottom of the wash bucket, an attached can/bottle holder for a beverage, removable seat, and a shelf underneath the seat to put whatever other detailing items you want on.

The detailing rig showed up a few days later. The instructions were a little difficult to comprehend but it only took about 20 minutes to put together after I found an assembly video on youtube. A Phillips head screwdriver and a wrench are the only tools needed for assembly.

Pros: The quality is amazing. This thing is very sturdy. Everything appears to be well made. The can/bottle holder is a nice touch. The removable seat has been great for detailing the wheels, it is a stiff cushion foam type of material and does not feel like cheap plastic.. I thought the fact that it has 5 wheels was a little odd but it is solid and its reassuring when seated on it. I have a sloped driveway, and one of my concerns before buying was that it was going to be difficult to sit on without keeping my feet firmly planted on the ground to keep it from rolling. Thats not the case as long as my feet aren't facing up towards the garage at an upward angle. Facing the vehicle at a 90 degree angle or facing downward towards the sidewalk does not cause me any issues with feeling like I'm going to roll away,

Cons: The wheels have no lock to keep the cart from moving. As mentioned, I have a sloped driveway. This means that I have to leave the cart at the bottom of the driveway on the sidewalk or at the top of the driveway at the garage. Leaving the cart anywhere in the middle will cause it to roll on its own. I'm thinking of using a single brick and keeping it on the rig's shelf to use as a stop but haven't done that yet. I'm not sure what else to use the shelf under the seat for. It feels like most things would fall out on my sloped driveway. This probably won't be an issue for people using this on flat surfaces.

You can see the slope of the driveway. This is about as far up as I can have it before it starts to roll.