Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Front Bumper Repainting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 08:02 PM
FSporto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Repainting

So I have a 2104 Ultra White IS and I bought some touch up paint in the hopes that I would fill in some of the small rock chips on the front bumper. As I began to inspect my bumper, I realized that it was riddle with tons of tiny black spots an nicks from rocks, way too many to fill in. I was thinking about just getting front bumper repainted so they can sand all the little imperfections and put a whole new fresh coat of paint on it. My fear though is that by just getting the front bumper repainted, it will be noticeable as it wont be blended. Has anyone gone this route with success? Is white one of the easier colors to pull this off?

Any input or suggestions would be helpful!
Old 08-12-18, 09:32 PM
crf3973
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would highly advise against repainting the factory paint unless the rock chips are really bad. I also have the ultra white paint. I had a large stone damage the area indicated in my attached picture. About a 4 inch area was repainted at a body shop and blended into the rest of the bumper to avoid re painting any unnecessary areas. They could have blended into the hood but I decided against it. This area is noticeably whiter than the factory paint which has a little more yellow tone in it. 3 stage paints are just hard as light changes the way they look. There are certain lighting conditions where I don't notice and others where it is blatantly different to my eye. The body shop I went to is the best rated in my area and this was the closest they could get it.

That being said, I'm a pretty neurotic person when it comes to details. I have the touch up paint (should be 2 separate ones) and touch up any small chips showing black underneath as I notice them when washing the car. Its actually a pretty good match, not perfect, but still better then the black showing...