Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I’ve always been terrible at cosmetic maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 07:46 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I’ve always been terrible at cosmetic maintenance...

...and at 56 I’m unlikely to change. I know that I should hand wash but I haven’t since I was 12 and did Dad’s VW Rabbit. I should stay on top of smooshed bugs but I don’t. The thing is that I keep cars for years and at a certain point they look pretty rotten! I don’t care about it looking showroom perfect today or next year but I would like it to look pretty good in 10. (My current cars are 14 and 17 years old). The same is true for leather and dash materials and I’m really concerned about that. My current leather looks like h***.

So given that, what are the easiest/best things that I can do to my new Caviar w/Black Leather ES300h that’s coming next week? Once a quarter (or year!) is reasonable but once a week is wishful thinking. Is there something that I should do immediately? (I have a 6 hour drive home so it won’t be immediately immediate)

BTW - I’ll take no offense if you laugh at me. I’m excellent at mechanical issues like oil changes, fluid levels, tire wear etc.
Old 07-18-18, 01:25 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Maybe Paint Protection Film?
Old 07-18-18, 01:45 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Definitely do PPF. Front Bumper, Full hood with wrapped edges, Mirrors, Rocker Panels (Optional). Also look in to Ceramic Coatings to make your wash life easier.
Old 07-18-18, 02:05 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

The have warranties of 7 or 10 years but at some point they won’t look good anymore — i assume that once removed it will be obvious where the edges were. If I keep it for 12-15 years won’t I run into that?
Old 07-18-18, 02:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
The have warranties of 7 or 10 years but at some point they won’t look good anymore — i assume that once removed it will be obvious where the edges were. If I keep it for 12-15 years won’t I run into that?
Also keep in mind a full car PPF install will run you $5k-10k or more depending on the car or your location.

And you still have to maintain PPF even more so than paint. If you're lazy with washing bugs off and bird sht, it will etch the film and there is nothing you can do to fix it aside from complete replacement whereas with paint, most bug etchings can be buffed out easily.
The following 2 users liked this post by 97-SC300:
Dmaxdmax (07-19-18), k20trick (07-21-18)
Old 07-19-18, 06:58 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

If the idea of regular detailing your ride doesn't fit your lifestyle, you could take the vehicle to a highly rated local detailer and let them apply a coating rather than a wax or sealant. Repeat every few years or whenever you think you don't like the appearance. For the interior, I'd suggest a deep cleaning every 3-6 months and an application of a fluorocarbon protectant. I'd use a product with some uv protection on the dash and vinyl. Something like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer will clean and leave uv protection and this is effective. Takes only 20-30 minutes to do the whole interior, dash, seats, doors, all hard surfaces. Maybe do the interior every few weeks.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-19-18 at 07:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dmaxdmax (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 07:18 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

if you are not going to start washing by hand..

Just do a wash and wax at a shop 2 or 3 times a year ($50 each-$75 each)
Touchless car wash when your car gets dirty.. especially within ($10)
A "fuller" detail once a year (or two) ($150-$200)
Dmaxdmax (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 09:08 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
if you are not going to start washing by hand..

Touchless car wash when your car gets dirty.. especially within ($10)
I’d read some horror stories about how touchless car washes were somewhat akin to sandblasting with fine dirt and rock particles mixed in with the recycled water. Of course there are horror stories about everything. I love Sam’s (looks like a chain but could be local) since they have industrial strength vacuums that are free after the wash. Unfortunately they use spinning cloth thingies - probably better than bristles but certainly not touchless.
[20 minutes later...]
Great - I’ve been reading yelp about everyplace in the area and nothing looks good except one or two high end detailers. Now I’m thinking that it couldn’t be *that* hard to do it myself. We’ll see how long that lasts.
Old 07-19-18, 09:13 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If the idea of regular detailing your ride doesn't fit your lifestyle, you could take the vehicle to a highly rated local detailer and let them apply a coating rather than a wax or sealant. Repeat every few years or whenever you think you don't like the appearance. For the interior, I'd suggest a deep cleaning every 3-6 months and an application of a fluorocarbon protectant. I'd use a product with some uv protection on the dash and vinyl. Something like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer will clean and leave uv protection and this is effective. Takes only 20-30 minutes to do the whole interior, dash, seats, doors, all hard surfaces. Maybe do the interior every few weeks.
Q1 - is a coating like another layer of clear coat?
Q2 - What product(s) do you use for the interior deep clean?
Q3 - I can use Maguiar’s Quik on everything from ventilated seats to dash to wood trim?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-18, 11:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax

Q1 - is a coating like another layer of clear coat?
Q2 - What product(s) do you use for the interior deep clean?
Q3 - I can use Maguiar’s Quik on everything from ventilated seats to dash to wood trim?

Thanks!
A1 - Yes it is, but not as thick or durable as urethane paint. It is thicker than a wax or sealant and thinner than a clear coat. Typically most users are getting 2-3 years from a coating, some longer. If you use a coating, you can freely use a touchless wash and not have any swirls from washing and drying your black car. The detergents used in the touches wash can degrade wax and sealants but not a coating. Preferably try to find a Touchless wash that doesn't recycle the wash water.

A2 - I personally use Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner diluted 50/50 with hot water for my quarterly deep cleaning. I apply Leather Master Protection Cream after this quarterly deep cleaning. On a weekly basis I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on everything in the inside outside of cloth and carpet. I use this on the dash, leather, vinyl, as well as the gauges and Nav screen.

A3 - Yes, one product works an all the hard surfaces as well as the leather. It adds zero gloss. It is a light cleaner with UV protection.

These products that I use are also made by many other manufacturers. I chose to use Meguiar's because they have been in business for over 110 years, stand behind their products and sell these products in detailer size for those who do a lot of vehicles. They also make a myriad of detailing products so I can just shop for everything I need from one source.

Meguiar's products I use on a regular basis.
Meguiar's D14901 Quik Interior Detailer (1 gallon)
Meguiar's D15501 Last Touch (1 gallon) This is a Quik Detailer for your paint to remove fingerprints, light dust, bird droppings and fresh tree sap.
Meguiar's D15601 (1 gallon) Synthetic X-Press Quik Spray Wax. Adds gloss and slickness after regular washing. Will remove water spots.

If you are into detailing, purchasing these products in gallon sizes yields huge savings.
Otherwise, these are the consumer line equivalents in smaller volumes and are available in most auto supply stores as well as Walmart, Target, etc.

D149 is available in their consumer line and is just called Quik Interior Detailer.
D155 a similar product in their consumer line is Ultimate Quik Detailer.
D156 is available in their consumer line and is called Ultimate Quick Spray Wax.

If I were to ever buy a black car again, (I won't, LOL) I'd be using these products on a weekly basis to keep the vehicle looking showroom fresh. In fact, I use these products on my vehicles almost daily.

Tip: If you plan on going with these types of products, be sure to purchase lots of high quality microfiber towels and only use them when they are impecably clean. Use these towel freely so as not to drag dust or dirt over the paint. Anything that touches your paint (black paint in particular) may cause swirl marks. Easier to prevent swirls than to remove them.

One word of caution, detailing can be addictive. Once bitten by this bug, you are infected for life and there is no known cure, LOL. I'm older than dirt and have been detailing since 1956. I still love detailing and can't stand to drive or ride in a dirty car.
Dmaxdmax (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 06:56 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Thank you!!

I really wish the interior came in a color that wasn’t black nor very light. I love the way the light leathers look but I’ve read too many stories about blue jean dye transfer. On the other hand, black will show every speck of dust. Poor me, I’ll have trouble keeping my Lexus looking pristine - talk about your first world problem!