Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18, 05:15 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
I am definitely a believer in coatings and the protection they provide. I have applied coatings to mine and my parents cars and will never be going back to using wax. If my ONLY choice was to either go without a coating or pay someone $1,300 for one, I would pay the money.
My point was that applying a coating is basically the same procedure as doing a full detail, just with applying a coating at the end instead of a wax... which is the same method... wipe on and wipe off... just with a different product.

So with that in mind, whatever the going rate is for a full detail, it should be roughly the same price for a coating.

Car dealerships have always charged $1500 to $2000 to apply paint coatings and I don't see them changing their prices now to match what they charge for a full exterior detail, as that would basically be admitting that they've been ripping people off. So as long as dealerships keep charging those prices, detailers can do the same.

There are definitely detailers whose work is worth thousands. My point is just that I see no reason why the price should be any higher than a full exterior detail.
So if a detailer charges $1,200 for a full exterior detail, then $1,300 for a coating would make sense.
But if they charge $200 for a full exterior detail and $1,300 for a coating, that makes no sense to me, as it is the same procedure and same amount of work for either job.
Again, coating products are more expensive than wax, so it should be maybe 10% more expensive than a full detail, just to account for the increased expense of the coating products compared to wax.
I think it totally depends on what service you get and how much time the detailer puts in.

I paid $1500 for my Opti-Coat Pro+ which included all wheels and glass. My detailer spent 8 hours doing paint correction and prep before applying the coating. No detailer is going to do 8 hours of paint correction for the price of a normal full exterior detail. A full exterior detail that cost $300 will probably be a wash, decon/clay, single step polish/AIO with a single pass on the whole vehicle (think less than 50% correction probably) and wax/sealant.

For $1500 my detailer washed, clayed, compound, wash again since he couldn't finish on that day, polish, and finally coat. I'm sure there were multiple iterations of these steps in certain areas where marring was more severe. So much of it depends on what your end results/expectations are and how intensely you are willing to let your detailer work to achieve the desired results.
The following users liked this post:
CharmCtyIS (07-29-18)
Old 07-26-18, 10:00 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with that.
The biggest variable, as you mentioned, is the amount of time put into correction work.
If very little or no correction work is needed though, I think you should still be able to get a coating applied for a reasonable price.
When I did my fathers black LS460, I did a two-step correction with about 6-8 passes of each. It took 2 full days (with a buffer) and multiple products and pads. There is no way I would do something like that for $300.
I guess what I was trying to say was that you don't always need to do that. That is where the price increase should be. If you're car isn't in bad shape and you're just interested in the coating and little or no correction work, then you should be able to get the coating applied for a reasonable price.
The detailer should provide different quotes based on the correction level going to be performed. If the car is dark colored (especially black), then you'll probably need a good amount of correction work.
I regretted doing correction work on my white pearl RX350, as I couldn't really tell much of a difference.
Old 07-26-18, 12:35 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

The coating process itself isn't the labor intensive part of the detail. I had a new car that I ceramic coated in a hour or so and then I had a 4 year old car that I spent almost a week polishing to get to the point where I felt comfortable ceramic coating it.

If the vehicle is completely brand new, or at least the paint is acceptable to the owner then just ceramic coating it doesn't take much time at all.
Old 07-28-18, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

With a with a brand new car, silver, paint in totally fine condition to my eye I couldn’t find anybody that would do a ceramic coating for less than $1,200.
Old 07-28-18, 04:23 PM
nvK
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
With a with a brand new car, silver, paint in totally fine condition to my eye I couldn’t find anybody that would do a ceramic coating for less than $1,200.
Speaking from personal experience, even brand new cars are subject to swirl marks from improper washes performed by dealerships. This is because dealerships generally focus on volume over quality of washes. Prepwork is essential for achieving best results when applying a ceramic coating. You can certainly get away with just applying the ceramic coating sans paint correction, but the results will pale in comparison.
Old 07-28-18, 04:26 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Good lord, do it yourself. 22ple HPC 50ml + carpro applicator and carpro suede cloth, will cost you a little over $200, and you'll have enough to coat the vehicle at least twice. If there's no imperfections it'll literally take you maybe an hour or two.

If you're patient wait for a 20% off sale and you'll get everything for under $200.
The following users liked this post:
nvK (07-28-18)
Old 07-29-18, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nvK
Speaking from personal experience, even brand new cars are subject to swirl marks from improper washes performed by dealerships. This is because dealerships generally focus on volume over quality of washes. Prepwork is essential for achieving best results when applying a ceramic coating. You can certainly get away with just applying the ceramic coating sans paint correction, but the results will pale in comparison.
I agree with you, but this car was not swirled, and this car is silver.

Looks great with my self applied coating that cost me $180 and probably 2 hours of actual work (more time in between coats obviously)

I think the reality is detailers are trying to cash in on the newness and the mystery surrounding ceramic coatings. I would have paid somebody $500 to do it, but not 1200-1500 when no prep but an IPA wipe was needed.
Old 07-29-18, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultimase
Good lord, do it yourself. 22ple HPC 50ml + carpro applicator and carpro suede cloth, will cost you a little over $200, and you'll have enough to coat the vehicle at least twice. If there's no imperfections it'll literally take you maybe an hour or two.

If you're patient wait for a 20% off sale and you'll get everything for under $200.
That’s precisely what I did!
Old 07-29-18, 12:28 PM
nvK
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the reality is detailers are trying to cash in on the newness and the mystery surrounding ceramic coatings.
I have to agree with you there; even dealerships are taking advantage of the situation and offering simple coatings with a serious markup.
Old 08-11-18, 02:39 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Does this ceramic coating protect the paint from UV damage?
Old 08-11-18, 06:09 PM
14RX350
Driver

The one I use, Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, says that it does provide UV protection. I would guess that most of them do. You'd want to look into the one you're specifically considering though as there are so many different ones out there.
Old 08-13-18, 07:15 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Does this ceramic coating protect the paint from UV damage?
Most of the big name coatings in theory suppose to prevent scratching, UV protection and etc....
Old 08-13-18, 08:10 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks like our windshield passenger and driver side front windows are 99% UV protected and the paint changed into thousand 10 so you really don’t need a coating over it either

Because of it being laminated UV protection is 99% so you don’t need any additional tint
Old 08-14-18, 12:21 AM
14RX350
Driver

That is some dangerous advice.

It is true that that the windows in the newer models provide around 99% UV protection.
It is also true that they claim to have improved the paint... which is an area we are constantly seeing improvements in.

That however does not mean that you shouldn't still proect the paint with a wax, sealant, or coating.
They are merely stating that the paint has been improved, and that you can continue taking care of it the same way as always... without any changes needed.
Old 08-14-18, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would go so far as to say that modern paints don't actually need to be protected with a sealant or wax or coating...

Modern paint will stay nice looking for 10+ years with zero maintenance.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating