Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

White spot under clear coat paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 02:20 AM
ColinLo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default White spot under clear coat paint?

Hi guys, I was washing my car and noticed a white spot came out from nowhere. It is not rock chip nor scratched... because the clear coat is still on it. I can feel the clear coat as I ran my finger through it.
Does anyone knows what caused this and how to fix it? Thanks ~~

Old 05-28-18, 09:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

First picture looks like clear coat damage/etching from highly acidic bird crap that sat on the car/sun but it pretty much never happen on the sides, pretty much always on a flat horizontal panel like roof, hood, trunk. It does not come off even with some polish and rubbing? Was the car exposed to a harsh chemical at any time like brake fluid? Can you take some more or better pics of it?

If it is any kind of clear coat failure unfortunately there is no way to fix it other then repainting the panel, I would just live with it. Try polishing it and see what happens.
Old 05-28-18, 10:35 PM
ColinLo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
First picture looks like clear coat damage/etching from highly acidic bird crap that sat on the car/sun but it pretty much never happen on the sides, pretty much always on a flat horizontal panel like roof, hood, trunk. It does not come off even with some polish and rubbing? Was the car exposed to a harsh chemical at any time like brake fluid? Can you take some more or better pics of it?

If it is any kind of clear coat failure unfortunately there is no way to fix it other then repainting the panel, I would just live with it. Try polishing it and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply. I tried polishing it but didn't seem to change anything. The car parks in the garage most of time and one afternoon the spot was there. Seriously not sure what caused it. I will bring it down to the dealership and see what they can do about it.