Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wash method?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 03:43 PM
262Wisc
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wash method?

As the title states, what's your wash method?
I feel like I care more about my paint than I do life itself haha!

All joking aside, I try to do everything I possibly can to protect and prolong the look of my car. I'm wondering if i'm the only one.....?

Chris
Old 02-03-18, 06:53 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 262Wisc

All joking aside, I try to do everything I possibly can to protect and prolong the look of my car. I'm wondering if i'm the only one.....?

Chris
you need to minimize scratching . I rinse the car with water, soak it heavily with a foam gun, two bucket wash with grit guards in both buckets, wash from top down doing bottom panels with a separate mitt, dry car with pluffle waffleweave towels, decontaminate the car with clay and detail spray, rinse the car, dry it with more pluffles then seal it woth optiseal and let it sit for 24 hours to cure then cover it with a layer of p21s concours wax using only zaino borderless blonde towels.. I do this in springtime and the every couple months as needed. You need a good wash method and good towels to minimize scratches. No cheap microfibers or silicone blades, if you can sheet water that would be ideal but i am not that skilled.

inbetween that i rinse the car, foam gun it, two bucket wash with the gritguards and the two mitts same as before and dry with the pluffle waffleweaves.
The following users liked this post:
Wandl (02-17-18)
Old 02-07-18, 08:30 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

My car has a coating so the wash process is much easier, so I've been just washing twice a week with Optimum ONR utilizing the Garry Dean Wash Method. About 8-10 Microfibers for the whole car and once the microfiber is dirty, it gets wrung out and put away so I'm never introducing dirt back on the panels. This method is very subjective and most people have different approaches depending on what water restrictions are in place depending where you live.

Last edited by 3nergiz3d; 02-07-18 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 02-07-18, 09:46 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
My car has a coating so the wash process is much easier, so I've been just washing twice a week with Optimum ONR utilizing the Garry Dean Wash Method. About 8-10 Microfibers for the whole car and once the microfiber is dirty, it gets wrung out and put away so I'm never introducing dirt back on the panels. This method is very subjective and most people have different approaches depending on what water restrictions are in place depending where you live.

I totally agree with this method, it saves time, uses less water, and saves even more time.

I thoroughly tested using dual buckets, multiple wash mitts, rigorous rinsing methods and still ended up with the same results after that I never looked back at not using a hose ever again.

The key is never introducing dirt into the clean microfiber thus working clean on every panel, and using only light pressure scooping up as needed instead of grinding whats on the car, back into the paint. This will leave you with a almost swirl free finish. Also a good idea to use a drying aid like meguiars xpress or reload.
The following users liked this post:
3nergiz3d (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 09:00 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
I totally agree with this method, it saves time, uses less water, and saves even more time.

I thoroughly tested using dual buckets, multiple wash mitts, rigorous rinsing methods and still ended up with the same results after that I never looked back at not using a hose ever again.

The key is never introducing dirt into the clean microfiber thus working clean on every panel, and using only light pressure scooping up as needed instead of grinding whats on the car, back into the paint. This will leave you with a almost swirl free finish. Also a good idea to use a drying aid like meguiars xpress or reload.
Nice to see someone using similar methods. I've also used the Optimum BRS along with ONR, and I get the same result as well. I feel better using Microfiber at the end of the day.
Old 02-16-18, 04:49 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just run it through the automatic car wash. It's not a collector vehicle, just a car.
Old 02-16-18, 06:40 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

That is true but some people like to take care of their vehicles and some people dont.automatic car washes = dirt left behind and harsh chemicals that strip your paint protection off. Weather provided, id rather take less time and less money to do a better job and keep my carprotected for as long as shes gonna be in my posession
Old 02-16-18, 05:26 PM
4jeff99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take my SC 430 through the car wash and give it real good drying with new bath towels...open every door, trunk lid, front hood, gas door and wipe it dry with my towels,, I love using Liquid Glass wax when done,,, you can do small spots at a time right out in the sunlight...I find the longer you leave it in the sun the better it works on the paint, it wipes right off... it is not like other waxes, were you can't use them in the open sun.. Try it on a small spot then run water on it,,beads right off like rain x..I only do this 3 times a year ..give it a try I've been using it for 15 years or more with no problems!!!
Old 02-16-18, 05:35 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 262Wisc

Chris
Well, in Texas in warm/hot weather you can wash your car to your heart's content, LOL! There are many good Youtube tutorials for this.
I just run car thru touchess car wash when it needs washing I noticed Lexus paint coatings is a lot thinner than that of German cars; Audi,
MB, BMW,etc.
Old 02-26-18, 05:56 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hichamaziz
you need to minimize scratching .
yup, no rinse products are fine if you have limited water but no wash method will be as gentle as a rinse, foam gun 2 bucket wash. Its a pain in the you know what, you need to decide how much you care about your baby.