Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

foam cannons

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 11:08 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default foam cannons

just wondering what differences (if any) between an MTM Foam Cannon and the ones that sells for around $20 on Amazon
Old 07-25-17, 05:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Typically a foam cannon attaches to a pressure washer. The $20 Foam ones attach to a garden house. These have been referred to as a foam gun. I have both and find that for a quick wash ( car is relatively clean) I use the foam gun, as I don't have to drag out the pressure washer.

Foam cannons should spread a thick coating of suds on the car and will stay there for 4-6 minutes depending on product used.
Foam Guns spray suds on the car but a much thinner coat. It tends to rinse down the panels much more quickly than a foam cannon. Again both units ...depends on product (soap) used and the concentration level.

Last edited by FastFord; 07-25-17 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 07:08 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I think op is referring to:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foam-Lance-S...kAAOSwTuJYoXzU

I have to say the above works ok, after multiple failed gaskets, and multiple trips to the lowes store for gaskets it finally doesn't leak, if I had to do it all over again Id go for the mtm kit its much higher quality.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (07-25-17)
Old 07-25-17, 07:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

They'll all perform the same function... but the MTM is up to professional use. Higher quality materials and internals. I used the same MTM foam cannon for years and never cleaned it (not recommended ) and it worked great.

I have recently bought the newer MTM PF22 and love it.

Name:  IMG_7772_zpsntecrmr4.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  1.50 MB
Old 07-25-17, 08:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I use the $17 Dusichin foam cannon and honestly it functions no different than the MTM cannon. The bottle itself is cheaper as some people have experienced cracking at the bottle's neck. I think as long as you don't man-handle it, you'll be fine.
Old 07-25-17, 11:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by k20trick
I think op is referring to:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foam-Lance-S...kAAOSwTuJYoXzU

I have to say the above works ok, after multiple failed gaskets, and multiple trips to the lowes store for gaskets it finally doesn't leak, if I had to do it all over again Id go for the mtm kit its much higher quality.
Thank you...I never would have guessed you could get a foam cannon that cheap...I just thought they would be talking about a spray gun at $20.
Old 07-25-17, 07:03 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSteg
I use the $17 Dusichin foam cannon and honestly it functions no different than the MTM cannon. The bottle itself is cheaper as some people have experienced cracking at the bottle's neck. I think as long as you don't man-handle it, you'll be fine.
Definitely I think the ebay and duschin one is the same, the bottle cracked on the neck for me as well, used a little tape to bandaid it, the gun leaks water from the inner fitting, the oring gasket was replaced twice. Other than that its been great to me as well....
Old 07-25-17, 07:09 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I use a foam gun, that attaches to a garden hose, for rountie wash. It's quick and easy imo.

The foam is OK, nothing comparable with a foam cannon, but it does a good job in pre-soaking and rinsing off most of the dirt. I always follow with a hand wash.
Old 07-25-17, 07:35 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I hardly use foam in either a foam gun or cannon with regular hose or high pressure, Imo its functional but mostly for show. I prefer the rinseless method, if done right you can get same if not better results than a traditional 2bucket while saving water, being a lot more time efficient, a lot less clean up afterwards, I use this method as my main form of routine wash even after 20+ hours correcting my paint.
Old 07-25-17, 09:53 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I ordered a $20 one first to test out and it started leaking already after just one use. So i was just wondering if i should just spend the extra $ to get the MTM hoping it doesn't leak/break after just a couple of uses. Does the MTM also foam thicker all else being equal (same amount of soap dilution and same pressure washer)?
Old 07-26-17, 08:26 AM
FastFord
Racer

I hardly use foam in either a foam gun or cannon with regular hose or high pressure, Imo its functional but mostly for show. I prefer the rinseless method, if done right you can get same if not better results than a traditional 2bucket while saving water, being a lot more time efficient, a lot less clean up afterwards, I use this method as my main form of routine wash even after 20+ hours correcting my paint.
I'm with you! Much more time efficient and the windows don't smear after a down and up cycle.
Depending on the weather I still "wash" it occasionally to get the wheel wells and other areas that you wouldn't use a rinseless wash.
Old 07-26-17, 08:32 AM
k20trick
Instructor

[QUOTE=FastFord;9935969]I'm with you! Much more time efficient and the windows don't smear after a down and up cycle.
Depending on the weather I still "wash" it occasionally to get the wheel wells and other areas that you wouldn't use a rinseless wash.[/QUOTE

Id have to agree with you on that one, I too find it much more beneficial to break out the hose on the wheel areas.
Old 07-26-17, 09:38 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

[QUOTE=k20trick;9935983]
Originally Posted by FastFord
I'm with you! Much more time efficient and the windows don't smear after a down and up cycle.
Depending on the weather I still "wash" it occasionally to get the wheel wells and other areas that you wouldn't use a rinseless wash.[/QUOTE

Id have to agree with you on that one, I too find it much more beneficial to break out the hose on the wheel areas.
How often do you guys clean your wheels when doing a rinseless wash? I have to clean my wheels every time I wash my car. If I'm going through the trouble of taking out the garden hose to clean my wheels, then I just wash my car with water and soap.
Old 07-26-17, 09:57 AM
FastFord
Racer

[QUOTE=Blkexcoupe;9936042]
How often do you guys clean your wheels when doing a rinseless wash? I have to clean my wheels every time I wash my car. If I'm going through the trouble of taking out the garden hose to clean my wheels, then I just wash my car with water and soap.
Well in my case, I am not well at all, so if I do the rinseless thing out comes my little rolling stool and I park my butt in front of the wheel with my assortment of little brushes and microfiber towels, some sort of gentle cleaner and away I go. Yes I get right back to do the barrels as well.

I never use any brush that has metal in it. There are lots of good brushes that are just plastic.

Some how I think there are a few of us with the same affliction.
Old 07-26-17, 07:33 PM
k20trick
Instructor

[QUOTE=Blkexcoupe;9936042]
[QUOTE=FastFord;9936059]
Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

True, I also clean my wheels everytime, but I can easily spend 1-1 1/2 hours fully cleaning the inner barrels only to find out. that the first drive they are toast again. I only clean the faces now with same rinse less solution for the paint, however if I go over 2 weeks or so then I need to brake out the acid and water to rinse off thoroughly.

Well in my case, I am not well at all, so if I do the rinseless thing out comes my little rolling stool and I park my butt in front of the wheel with my assortment of little brushes and microfiber towels, some sort of gentle cleaner and away I go. Yes I get right back to do the barrels as well.

I never use any brush that has metal in it. There are lots of good brushes that are just plastic.

Some how I think there are a few of us with the same affliction.
You seem very ambitious, I used to dedicate an hour or two doing the wheels alone too, but it was too much. The Gary Dean method works great for rinse less. You won't know till you try and tweak it to your preference. You can still use the stool.

Quick Reply: foam cannons