Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How often do you wash and wax your car? + clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 04:11 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How often do you wash and wax your car? + clear bra

It seems I am getting lazier and lazier lately. As long as the car looks okay, I don't feel like washing. lol I used to wash it at least twice a month. A friend of mine washes his RCF once every week.

I wonder how often you guys wash and wax your car? I need some motivation.

Also, any tips on how to wash cars with clear bra? This is my first car with clear bra done. I was told I gotta at least use spray wax every 2-3 washes.
Old 07-09-17, 10:55 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

You can wash and wax it as often as you'd like.

You should be able to wash a car with clear bra the same way as one without. Why not use spray wax on every wash, there are spray waxes that can be used wet or dry to save time. Be aware that most synthetic sealants will outlast carnauba paste wax and spray wax.

Not sure if your referring to the black car but Im sure many will tell you that keeping black car clean is a full time job, but one of the most rewarding colors if done right imo...

If I was in your shoes I would wash the car, inspect paint to see what it needs, are there contaminates that need to be removed if so get one of those off the shelf consumer clay from meguiars and decon the paint/bra, then you can use an alcohol wipe down to remove any residue and ensure a the synthetic sealant will bond properly. This will make your life going forward easier and it will be easier to maintain as the sealant will be a strong form of protection then you can wash and wax with spray wax and reapply sealant in lieu of spray wax as often as you'd like...

Once its all done, take a step back and enjoy the work you just put in! Of course the real option would be to polish after the claying step, however most cant even maintain the above so use what works best for you in your scenario.

Edit** when and if you clay be alert of the edges not sure if you may encounter this however when you clay around the edges clay tends to stick around the edges and leave pieces of it behind. Can be time consuming to remove too.

Last edited by k20trick; 07-09-17 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ahhadanny (07-13-17)
Old 07-10-17, 06:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I wash my car every week... if I am busy it may get pushed back to 2 weeks, but not usually.

Washing a car with clear bra is the exact same as washing one without.

How to Properly Wash & Dry A Car

It is never a bad idea to apply some additional protection on top of a clear bra, however spray wax is not the only option. As K20trick mentioned, a spray wax can be a great option to use after every car wash to help with drying. Spray waxes are not very durable, and therefore should not be your stand alone means of protection IMO. Apply a quality paint sealant or nano coating to the entire vehicle, including the clear bra, in order to provide more durable protection. Then use a spray wax frequently to maintain the protection.

If you decide to use a polymer sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond, plan on reapplying to the entire vehicle every 4-6 months on average. If you opt for a nano coating, you can go several years without needing to reapply. There is plenty of information on nano coatings in the stick thread in this forum.

-Zach
Ahhadanny (07-13-17)
Old 07-11-17, 05:30 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

My washing schedule has always been based on need and the function of the vehicle. Functional cars (vans, trucks, or anything that requires a ladder for me to clean the roof) get washed once a month. Daily drivers are once a week/two weeks if it's only dusty. Garaged cars are whenever necessary and/or before going to a car event.

I've found touchless silica sealants (Carpro Hydro2, Nanolex wash coat, Gyeon wet coat) the easiest to work with since its a spray on rinse off type of product. The only requirement is that the paint has to be cool to the touch and in the shade to avoid streaking.

Gyeon cure is also a really nice spray sealant that can be applied wet or dry. Any of these combined with a leaf blower or metro blaster will make your car washing process a lot faster.
Ahhadanny (07-13-17)
Old 07-11-17, 06:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
If you decide to use a polymer sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond, plan on reapplying to the entire vehicle every 4-6 months on average
Good product but no way it lasts 4-6 months maybe 2 months, less if the car sits in the hot sun a lot or the car gets washed a lot. Not picking on that particular product anything outside a nano type coating doesn't last worth a damn in my experience.

So to answer the question of how often to wax, never. Detail the car and apply a nano coating, or pay someone with experience to do it.
Ahhadanny (07-13-17)
Old 07-12-17, 08:38 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I have my car nano-coated, so I wash about 1-2 times a week.
Ahhadanny (07-15-17)
Old 07-12-17, 02:19 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Ideally every 2 weeks. But sometimes, when I'm bored/free, I'll do it weekly.

I wash and spray wax to dry every time I do my wash. For interior, I try to detail in between washes. But, I do it as needed; I keep my inside pretty clean overall.

I use Meg's UQW during my drying process. Leaves a nice glossy surface. The water beads are awesome as well as contaminants like bugs, pollen, bee sht don't stick as hard.

Last edited by nathantse; 07-12-17 at 02:26 PM.
Ahhadanny (07-13-17)
Old 07-13-17, 06:04 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Originally Posted by nathantse
Ideally every 2 weeks. But sometimes, when I'm bored/free, I'll do it weekly.

I wash and spray wax to dry every time I do my wash. For interior, I try to detail in between washes. But, I do it as needed; I keep my inside pretty clean overall.

I use Meg's UQW during my drying process. Leaves a nice glossy surface. The water beads are awesome as well as contaminants like bugs, pollen, bee sht don't stick as hard.
I am washing it tomorrow. No more laziness lol
Old 07-13-17, 08:04 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
I am washing it tomorrow. No more laziness lol
lol better late than never. I have a white car, so it gets dirty super fast, and I can't stand it looking brown. I had a silver car before, and I rarely wash cause it doesn't "LOOK" dirty lol.
Old 07-14-17, 02:58 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I wash my car every week. I don't wax my car anymore since I put CQuartz ceramic coating on my car back in March. I do put some CarPro Reload silica spray on top every 3 months or so to increase water and dirt repellent and gloss to the ceramic coating.
Ahhadanny (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 03:29 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Originally Posted by XSV
I wash my car every week. I don't wax my car anymore since I put CQuartz ceramic coating on my car back in March. I do put some CarPro Reload silica spray on top every 3 months or so to increase water and dirt repellent and gloss to the ceramic coating.
How do you like CQuartz ceramic coating so far?
What time of the day do you wash your car since it's sunny and kinda hot almost all day long in the summer?
Old 07-14-17, 03:43 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
How do you like CQuartz ceramic coating so far?
What time of the day do you wash your car since it's sunny and kinda hot almost all day long in the summer?
I love it! It does a great job of repelling dirt and water plus it gives the car a nice glossy/wet look when it's nice and clean. I also ceramic coated my new wheels as well to repel brake dust and grime. I had some tar stuck to the inside of the barrel of my wheels and it came off easily with some TarX remover. The best part is not having to wax the car since the ceramic coating has UV protection. I usually wash my car late in the evening at 7 pm, which gives me about 90 minutes before it gets completely dark.
Old 07-14-17, 04:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

With rinseless wash solution, I wash car twice a week. I'll do traditional wash once a month.
Ahhadanny (07-15-17)
Old 07-14-17, 08:03 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XSV
I love it! It does a great job of repelling dirt and water plus it gives the car a nice glossy/wet look when it's nice and clean. I also ceramic coated my new wheels as well to repel brake dust and grime. I had some tar stuck to the inside of the barrel of my wheels and it came off easily with some TarX remover. The best part is not having to wax the car since the ceramic coating has UV protection. I usually wash my car late in the evening at 7 pm, which gives me about 90 minutes before it gets completely dark.
I'm curious of the cost to get your car coated with Ceramic Pro or any other similar coating. How long do they last? And compares with wax?
Old 07-15-17, 06:54 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

One neighbor told me I was going to wash the paint off my cars. That pretty much says how often I wash my cars. Probably about three times a week. Clay twice a year. Apply a sealant twice a year. Once a month I pull the wheels so I can make sure I get them totally clean. It also gives me the opportunity to clean everything behind the wheel.
Ahhadanny (07-15-17)

Quick Reply: How often do you wash and wax your car? + clear bra